Why use a RTT?

sn_85

Observer
Notice how the OP posts a new thread asking a troll question and doesn't bother coming back? He's not interested in hearing anyone's answers, he's more interested in just voicing his opinions on RTTs. Classic troll. Also 2 posts in 6 years and this was one of them.

At any rate, I've tried various methods of camping and I think I'm done with sleeping on the ground. The amount of time involved in setup and taking down a tent gets tiring over time. Time rolling up the tent, bag, pad ads up. Not to mention nights with a sore neck from poor pads. I've also tried the ARB Awning with Room and again, setup is just about as bad if not worse than a regular tent. Although it is nice and spacious and you can put cots inside which sleep much better than a pad.

I prefer not to have permanent weight on top of my roof and want to be able to park my truck in a garage but if an RTT will make life easier than some sacrifices need to be made. If there is one more setup that I'd consider to trying before going full RTT it's an OZ Tent. Setup seems faster than most regular tents, it's large, and can fit a cot inside. Then again the price is around $800 and at that price you are halfway to a RTT. Would be an expensive mistake if I just end up going RTT anyways. Decisions, decisions.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
RTTs are much cooler in the Summer, you're off of the ground, and have better air circulation. Set up/ tear down is also faster than a ground tent.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I paid $500 for mine 30 + years ago. It has at least 1000 nights in it. 50 cents per night seems cheap to me.

Also I believe this question comes down to travel style. I you are traveling rather than camping then the ease of setup is invaluable. If you are camping and setting up for multiple days in the same spot them the restriction on using your vehicles is a PITA especially when you pack up and head out for a while to find someone has taken your spot.

Personally the climbing down to use the bathroom at night was what prompted our wimping out and getting a live inside vehicle.

grogie

Like to Camp
My biggest love of an RTT is that it closes up in a few minutes so I can move to another great spot to spend the next night. Back in the days of a ground tent, I'd never move somewhere else the next day simply due to the work it took to take down the tent and again set it up.

BLCOfJ.jpg

VicMackey

Adventurer
IMHO the biggest advantage of the RTT is speed of set up and take down.

Let me give an example: When I am driving a long way, lets say from Michigan to Utah. There are two hotel stops along the way. With a standard tent, no way will I invest the time to set up and break down camp for the 7 hours I will be sleeping. Normally we will just grab a hotel. With the RTT I can pull into a camp site and be sleeping in 5 minutes. In theory, the RTT will pay for itself if one can skip a dozen hotel stays.

I do believe the OP has a point about vehicle mounted RTTs though. It is inconvenient to fold up the tent just to run to town for ice. The way I have combated this is to mount the RTT on a trailer. I believe there is no better way to camp than with a trailer and a RTT.

An added bonus to the RTT is the shade and rain protection underneath the deployed RTT. Plus you don't have to worry about a cobra sneaking into your tent.

VicMackey

Adventurer
IMHO the biggest advantage of the RTT is speed of set up and take down.

Let me give an example: When I am driving a long way, lets say from Michigan to Utah. There are two hotel stops along the way. With a standard tent, no way will I invest the time to set up and break down camp for the 7 hours I will be sleeping. Normally we will just grab a hotel. With the RTT I can pull into a camp site and be sleeping in 5 minutes. In theory, the RTT will pay for itself if one can skip a dozen hotel stays.

I do believe the OP has a point about vehicle mounted RTTs though. It is inconvenient to fold up the tent just to run to town for ice. The way I have combated this is to mount the RTT on a trailer. I believe there is no better way to camp than with a trailer and a RTT.

An added bonus to the RTT is the shade and rain protection underneath the deployed RTT. Plus you don't have to worry about a cobra sneaking into your tent.

buckwilk

Observer
OP wrote a concise well thought out question, whether you agree or disagree with it. The fact that he hasn't posted since doesn't mean he hasn't read the posts. That a topic has been discussed on a forum before doesn't disqualify it from further discussion. The accusation that a poster is a troll because he doesn't meet your criteria for posting may mean that you are the troll. Some who come here are new and want the experience and knowledge that others are willing to share. I think that's important to the site and it's owners. For some sticking your neck out and asking a question or asking for advice is a difficult thing to do in this type of venue. The reality is many come to forums and never post because of the reactions of the ignorant few who feel the need to denigrate rather than help.

obchristo

Thank you for those who replied back with why RTTs work for them. I did not consider a cooler sleep (makes sense). Faster setup is something I can certainly appreciate.

Those who called me a troll- well that's your perspective and you are certainly entitled to it, but that was not my intent. The reason I have not posted much is that I have 2 kids ages 6 and 8 and my free time is from 5am to 5:15am...

My background in sleeping outdoors is based on self propelled travel (backpacking, mountaineering, kayaking) or sleeping in my Toyota 4X4 Pickup with a Shell and a carpet kit. My Roof typically had boats, bikes, a cargo box or some combination of the 3. I have considerable experience traveling in Baja off the highways. I do not go looking for the hardest off road travel, but certainly appreciate the isolation that going where a typical RV will not go to. That was a younger, single me. Fast forward to having kids and now I find myself doing the car camping out of my 4Runner and sleeping in a tent. I still have my rack and hitch full of gear.

I am looking to increase my vehicle size (probably a last gen Sequoia) and was curious what motivated people to use RTTs- as I have zero experience with them and am truly curious. Again- thank you for the education and sorry to those I offended.

rickc

Adventurer
obchristo: to a 6 and 8 year old, a RTT is like a treehouse on wheels. Mine are 8, 11 and 13. Little one an I go up top in the penthouse, 11yr old occupies the truck bed and loves his own space and the 13 yr old (girl) only comes camping if she's got a friend to hang with and they have a tent to themselves. All our needs are different and with kids, always changing. I like the RTT as it's quick to deploy and when the weather is bad, the truck/RTT/awning setup gives everyone space. I can also take the RTT down and put it back on top by myself if I have to; I usually grab a neighbour. I made a dolly to wheel it away to the garage. I'd advise you to go take a look and see for yourself . If you are thinking of a big RTT for 2 adults and 2 kids, the Sequoia may be (feel) too small. The big RTTs are really heavy.

VicMackey

Adventurer
obchristo: to a 6 and 8 year old, a RTT is like a treehouse on wheels. Mine are 8, 11 and 13. Little one an I go up top in the penthouse, 11yr old occupies the truck bed and loves his own space and the 13 yr old (girl) only comes camping if she's got a friend to hang with and they have a tent to themselves. All our needs are different and with kids, always changing. I like the RTT as it's quick to deploy and when the weather is bad, the truck/RTT/awning setup gives everyone space. I can also take the RTT down and put it back on top by myself if I have to; I usually grab a neighbour. I made a dolly to wheel it away to the garage. I'd advise you to go take a look and see for yourself . If you are thinking of a big RTT for 2 adults and 2 kids, the Sequoia may be (feel) too small. The big RTTs are really heavy.

Rick speaks the truth. I have a 4 man CVT with 2 ladders. That thing is pushing about 200 lbs. Once I put it on the trailer, I knew it was never coming down. It took 5 people to lift it up there.

That said, we love it. Its a 4 man tent, but I bet we could fit 6 in a pinch. The kids love the "cool factor" of the RTT, and if I am being honest....I do too.

Set-up takes under 4 minutes and pack up takes about 10.

Boatbuilder79

To me the rtt is more comfortable than my ground tents.

I have one that I use on top of my f150. I have a leer shell and the tent is on top of the shell. I usually tow a boat so I cannot pull a camper. I did install a second battery and isolator in the truck so I have lights and a 12 volt fan in the tent and a 12 volt fridge in the truck bed.
My truck has a 5.5 foot bed and I am 6’ so the Rt tent is more confortable to sleep in. My bed and tent is nicely packed up top and ready in minutes. Everything else gets thrown in the bed of the truck and i don’t have to take everything out to sleep in the truck bed.

It takes 30 minutes to put the tent on the truck and 3 Advil for my back afterwords.

rickc

Adventurer
Boatbuilder79: I hear you re the Advil. When I take the thing off by myself, I tug it out from behind the truck to lower to my tailgate (the hardest bit) then flip it over to the ground then flip it one more time onto my dolly; the last flip isn't necessary if I have a buddy to help. My RTT opens out backwards to serve as an awning for the tailgate. It sits on the dolly hinge-end down as this is the flattest side.

jpachard

Adventurer
Here are my reasons for a rtt
1. Bigger barrier between yourself and 2,4 legged critters.
2. Ease of setup and takedown
3. Bedding can be stored in tent, I can be deployed and ready to sleep in under 5min
4. No more hunting for that perfect flat spot that’s not in the path of runoff etc.

We love ours, allows us to. Amp in very compact areas too as our total camp has a small footprint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles