Why use a RTT?

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Of all the places I've used a ground tent, the times I wish I didn't have to peg anything down because of rocks or really hard ground are few and far between.

The number of times I've been really glad I could pitch into the wind, and make use of the ground/foliage etc for protection from wind and rain are many.

On those many occasions a RTT would have often put me above any available shelter and most definitely in the wind.

I like the idea, speed, and convenience but I can't see it being very suitable in bad weather. The lovely photos in this thread totally ;) prove my point, idyllic campsites, no wind. Of course they can be used in a hoolie, but then the decent nights sleep I would think becomes more questionable.

Our current options are a 3 man Hilleberg if we're carrying everything, a 9 person tipi for the car trips (one pole, 8 pegs if the wind isn't too mad, another 8 and it's good for 99% of the time, a further 8 and it will not be moving. The big tensionable side skirt allows a lot of ground variation) or a campervan.

A RTT on the car would be good for summer trips but I don't think it covers enough bases to be worth the cash. Maybe I'll just have to try one :eek:

VicMackey

Adventurer
Of all the places I've used a ground tent, the times I wish I didn't have to peg anything down because of rocks or really hard ground are few and far between.

The number of times I've been really glad I could pitch into the wind, and make use of the ground/foliage etc for protection from wind and rain are many.

On those many occasions a RTT would have often put me above any available shelter and most definitely in the wind.

I like the idea, speed, and convenience but I can't see it being very suitable in bad weather. The lovely photos in this thread totally ;) prove my point, idyllic campsites, no wind. Of course they can be used in a hoolie, but then the decent nights sleep I would think becomes more questionable.

Our current options are a 3 man Hilleberg if we're carrying everything, a 9 person tipi for the car trips (one pole, 8 pegs if the wind isn't too mad, another 8 and it's good for 99% of the time, a further 8 and it will not be moving. The big tensionable side skirt allows a lot of ground variation) or a campervan.

A RTT on the car would be good for summer trips but I don't think it covers enough bases to be worth the cash. Maybe I'll just have to try one :eek:

The big negative to a car mounted RTT is that once the RTT is set up, the car is out of commission. So, if you need to run into town to grab some ice, it is a bit inconvenient to pack it up and then come back and re-deploy.

kdeleon

Observer
The big negative to a car mounted RTT is that once the RTT is set up, the car is out of commission. So, if you need to run into town to grab some ice, it is a bit inconvenient to pack it up and then come back and re-deploy.

i wouldn't want to use a softshell RTT to base camp. Just this last trip, we stayed 2 nights in one place (we typically move to a different camp spot) and decided to explore a bit. Although very easy to setup, packing it up is a bit more work and finding places to climb on the land cruiser. Also depending on your truck, it can be more or less work. For example, I also have a Wrangler which I use the RTT with, and its body profile (narrower, and straight as a kleenex box) and ability to attach steps on the door hinge makes it real easy to do the packup vs the Land Cruiser.

A Hardshell will be much easier but I can't afford it and won't fit my family.

the406

Hopefully this question is not too much of a tangent to the original "why use an RTT", but I would like the input of others on why you use a specific STYLE of RTT. Namely, what are the pros and cons of an RTT like the Kukenam vs. the Autohome Maggiolina vs. the Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition. Again, not as concerned with the brand or model, but the style of tent -- flip over, pop up, hinged -- and why some prefer one over the other.

My long term goals are to have a tent that works well for quick weekend trips with my 7 year old son as well as week-long camping trips throughout our home state of Montana.
Additionally, I do a ton of hunting, and some of the areas that I go are truly "dispersed" camping, with nothing other than a relatively flat spot to park while I head out for a few nights away from the rig; I think the RTT and gear in the truck bed under a topper is the perfect solution to backcountry hunting where I bivi out for a few days at a time, then come back to the rig to top off food, change clothes, sleep in a 'real' bed, and recharge. I have spent the last 30 years sleeping in everything from a bivi sack to a two man to a floorless tarp/tipi style tent while hunting, so I am very familiar with less than ideal sleeping options in the backcountry!

Thoughts? Pros and Cons on the style of RTT?

VicMackey

Adventurer
Hopefully this question is not too much of a tangent to the original "why use an RTT", but I would like the input of others on why you use a specific STYLE of RTT. Namely, what are the pros and cons of an RTT like the Kukenam vs. the Autohome Maggiolina vs. the Alu-Cab Gen 3 Expedition. Again, not as concerned with the brand or model, but the style of tent -- flip over, pop up, hinged -- and why some prefer one over the other.

My long term goals are to have a tent that works well for quick weekend trips with my 7 year old son as well as week-long camping trips throughout our home state of Montana.
Additionally, I do a ton of hunting, and some of the areas that I go are truly "dispersed" camping, with nothing other than a relatively flat spot to park while I head out for a few nights away from the rig; I think the RTT and gear in the truck bed under a topper is the perfect solution to backcountry hunting where I bivi out for a few days at a time, then come back to the rig to top off food, change clothes, sleep in a 'real' bed, and recharge. I have spent the last 30 years sleeping in everything from a bivi sack to a two man to a floorless tarp/tipi style tent while hunting, so I am very familiar with less than ideal sleeping options in the backcountry!

I think it boils down to trade offs. I like the hard top and the super fast set up and take down of the Maggiolina, however they tend to be on the small side compared to most of the fold open fabric style tents.

IMHO, you should base your decision on how much time you actually will spend in the tent. If you are never going to be in the tent except to sleep, then I would suggest a hard top. If you think you may hang out in the tent and play board games and such, then the fold open with more space will probably be more desirable.

kdeleon

Observer

Cost aside, I went with the soft-shell since
a) Even the medium-sized soft-shells will have larger sleeping area compared to a large hardshell.
b) I figured I have lots of time, not in a hurry. I don't really need to be able to pack up the tent in 5 minutes -- it's not a race and my kids can use more play time before i call them to get in the truck for a longish drive.
c) Folded, it is a smaller footprint and leaves usable room on my roof rack. And as you guys may know, a JKUR will need that space :). Also perfect space for when collecting firewood.

With that said, if it's just me and my wife -- i'd strongly consider a hard shell -- since she'd just get annoyed watching me pack up that tent.

obchristo

Not to much of a tangent at all! Actually a great follow up question.

rickc

Adventurer
the406: I chose a soft RTT, an ARB Simpson III but there are a number of RTTs that are very similar. It's really quick to set-up and it has an overhanging part over the ladder; not all soft RTTs have this. For me this is important as it is really one of the biggest advantages over a ground tent; the overhang covers the "door" when it's wet outside, you can sit at the top of the ladder, take your mucky boots off and hang them from the top run of the ladder, keeping the inside of the tent clean and dry. if you go basecamp and hang an annex room from the entry way, it's even cleaner and drier. My two younger kids; 8 and 11 love the thing.

I don't get the concerns about RTTs and bad weather; lifting a tent 6 feet (or a little more) doesn't mean it's going to get significantly more blown around than if it was on the ground.

Some considerations:
- if your truck is lifted or you are short (or both) then putting the cover on the closed tent can be a PITA. My truck has a 5.5" lift and I'm 6'1". I can put the cover on without extra help but I always bring a lightweight step ladder as it makes it so much easier and quicker.
- if the weather is cold, putting the cover on can be a PITA as it is less pliable.
- my ARB RTT is relatively dark inside; I like this as I'm a light sleeper and often wake up too early if it's bright out.
- luxury camping by my standards; I spent years bike/motorbike and kayak camping; all my gear was tiny, light, minimalist.

I strongly recommend trying to rent or borrow an RTT for a weekend and go play; see if it works for you.

Good luck

Last edited:

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget

We went w Smittybilt, being a Jeep guy I knew Smittybilt aka Shittybilt wasn't a good idea but after some homework most Chinese soft RTTs are basically all the same and we (10 yr old son and I) have been very happy with ours over the last two years. And at less than $700 I'm extremely happy, we did add a standard full size 2" memory foam topper and sheets.
Your plan/set up is similiar to ours we mounted RTT to a homemade trailer and keep the camping/kayaking gear under neath us. It's great, everything is stored nice and dry and set up only takes 10 min. We can lock the trailer and be gone all day kayaking.

To answer "why" an RTT
It's not a 2K RTT, under $700 so not as bad
Quick easy set up, bed is made, no tent poles, rain flys, air mattress, sleeping bag pillows to pack up
It's on a trailer that hauls and stores our gear year round, so vehicle/Jeep is not tied down.
I'm off the ground
And my son thinks it's cool like a tree house and that's enough reason for me??

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_7802.JPG

Boatbuilder79

Boatbuilder79: I hear you re the Advil. When I take the thing off by myself, I tug it out from behind the truck to lower to my tailgate (the hardest bit) then flip it over to the ground then flip it one more time onto my dolly; the last flip isn't necessary if I have a buddy to help. My RTT opens out backwards to serve as an awning for the tailgate. It sits on the dolly hinge-end down as this is the flattest side.

That is pretty much how I load ans unload mine. I have some old chair cushions I use to keep from scratching up my truck and topper.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Many of our "rustic" tent area campgrounds have forest spots for tents, and we park in a grass field far away. It's a bit neater with the cars long gone (but within eyesight). Hopefully more campgrounds try it. It's not too fun being the guy stuck camping in the parking lot though, but some make do.

Another + for the RTT, is you don't HAVE to use it. You can still bring along your ground tent in case your parking spot is far from the beach, river, waterfall, whatever you want to camp next to.

The hardshells were too much $$$ for me. So I ground tent, and/or travel trailer. To be fair, I only use small 2 man Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, etc. etc. tents. Not cheap tents, or huge tents that a terrible in rough weather.

GSRidist

One thing about the RTT that makes it appealing to me is you can use it in a parking lot without worrying about getting run over in the middle of the night when you’re in your impossible-to-see dark green bivy sack.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Camping in a parking lot? To be sure the RTT is a distinct advantage over sleeping on the ground in a parking lot. I have always wondered 'Now who would do that?' Question answered, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke