Keep Tahoe or step up to Suburban?

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and have been following most of the GMT800 builds, I'm wanting to start work on my Tahoe but one of my main goals is to be able to sleep in my rig. Obviously with the suburban it would be much easier to do that and still have room for storage, etc.

My plans are to do a mild lift (torsion keys and spacers) shelves for the interior as well as a sleeping platform, dual battery setup and some better exterior lighting.

A camper trailer isn't an option as I don't have anywhere to store one.
I'm in New York so most of my trips would require me to drive quite a bit since there's not much camping to be done on Long Island.

So should I keep the Tahoe or upgrade to a Suburban?

XJLI

Adventurer
Hey fellow LI'er!

I looked at a couple Tahoes, I'm 6' and could sleep in the back no problem with the seats folded down. It depends on how much gear and people you're bringing along... Most of my trips are me and my dog, so that was more than enough room. Don't forget you can easily add a roof rack/cargo box for the times you need just a little more carrying ability. Bigger is a better a lot of the time, but if you're solo a Tahoe has a LOT of room. I mean, you own it, try it out.

Hey fellow LI'er!

I looked at a couple Tahoes, I'm 6' and could sleep in the back no problem with the seats folded down. It depends on how much gear and people you're bringing along... Most of my trips are me and my dog, so that was more than enough room. Don't forget you can easily add a roof rack/cargo box for the times you need just a little more carrying ability. Bigger is a better a lot of the time, but if you're solo a Tahoe has a LOT of room. I mean, you own it, try it out.

I've got the roof rack, reason I'm considering the switch is because I bought the Tahoe to be a winter beater, and the condition of the truck shows that. Body is pretty beat, some rot in the door jamb, etc. If I upgrade I'd probably go with an 03+ Suburban or another Tahoe. I really only plan to go on trips with my girlfriend or on my own. I'd want to carry water, food, an awning, clothes and other things I'd need. Trying to figure this all out as I go along.
Are there any decent spots to go camping in NY aside from those Suffolk campgrounds?

XJLI

Adventurer
Size is up to you, only you can say whats too big or too small for your travel needs. I do a lot of beach stuff. The Suffolk permit allows you access to overnight camping at the limited access at Smith Point and Theodore Roosevelt in Montauk; but unfortunately you need a "self-contained camper" and won't be allowed to sleep in your truck. I'm not sure which campgrounds you;ve been to but Hither Hills in Montauk is a great camping area, but it is an actual campground... depends on if that is something you not or not, but it is literally on the other side of the dunes from the beach. Indian Island is Riverhead is great too, you can't camp on the beach, but you are pretty damn close to it. Wildwood in Wading River is nice as well, kind of like Hither Hills but on the north shore. The NYS beach fishing doesn't allow "camping" but you're allowed to fish overnight. I live out east and use the town of Riverhead beach permit (which is pretty lax) to my advantage. There really aren't any "dispersed" camping areas like upstate, VT, or out west.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you're going to upgrade anyway there's very little reason not to get a Suburban unless you need to park it in the city. Parking a Suburban in a big city is not fun.
Otherwise, the Suburban is better simply because it is longer, can carry more and has a bigger gas tank by 5 gallons.
OTOH if you Tahoe is in decent shape, I'd say 'run what ya brung' until it's no longer serviceable. Switching to another vehicle will almost always cost you more money than keeping what you have and updated what needs to be updated.

If you're going to upgrade anyway there's very little reason not to get a Suburban unless you need to park it in the city. Parking a Suburban in a big city is not fun.
Otherwise, the Suburban is better simply because it is longer, can carry more and has a bigger gas tank by 5 gallons.
OTOH if you Tahoe is in decent shape, I'd say 'run what ya brung' until it's no longer serviceable. Switching to another vehicle will almost always cost you more money than keeping what you have and updated what needs to be updated.

That's also what I was thinking, the one thing that's really annoying is the door jamb rot, need to cut it out and fix it up. Also has some leaks and other issues so I'm not sure if I want to keep fixing things or buy a cleaner suburban

You would have to change your name though...

You got me there

Size is up to you, only you can say whats too big or too small for your travel needs. I do a lot of beach stuff. The Suffolk permit allows you access to overnight camping at the limited access at Smith Point and Theodore Roosevelt in Montauk; but unfortunately you need a "self-contained camper" and won't be allowed to sleep in your truck. I'm not sure which campgrounds you;ve been to but Hither Hills in Montauk is a great camping area, but it is an actual campground... depends on if that is something you not or not, but it is literally on the other side of the dunes from the beach. Indian Island is Riverhead is great too, you can't camp on the beach, but you are pretty damn close to it. Wildwood in Wading River is nice as well, kind of like Hither Hills but on the north shore. The NYS beach fishing doesn't allow "camping" but you're allowed to fish overnight. I live out east and use the town of Riverhead beach permit (which is pretty lax) to my advantage. There really aren't any "dispersed" camping areas like upstate, VT, or out west.

I camped at Smith point during my after-prom celebration. (I'm probably one of the younger members on here) Indian Island sounds like it'd be nice, same with Theodore Roosevelt. Over the summer I'm trying to take a nice long trip out of NY but have to decide what I'd want to see and plot my course around that. I'm hoping to do some more work to my rig soon, have to change trans filter and possibly rebuild the transmission/4l80 swap. I figure even if I put money into the tahoe most parts will swap over anyway since the suburban and tahoe are so similar.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Sub's about 22" longer. You ought to have ~74" minus a few for the folded up 2nd row seats. If you are under 6' or normally sleep on your side with your legs bent, a Tahoe will work ok, and alone, diagonally, for sure.

I still haven't made a proper sleeping extension for my drawer platform, but I've only slept in it a couple times, piling up my stuff on the stored 2nd row seats to support my feet. My drawer platform is ~54" deep, from Liftgate to the backs of the upright 2nd row seats.

auxbatt062%20current.jpg

Hope to get that platform extension done by this spring and replace the old dead 4:3 ceiling LCD TV with a new HD ratio screen, tied to my aftermarket dash DVD player, then I can crash out in comfort watching movies

Last edited:
Sub's about 22" longer. You ought to have ~74" minus a few for the folded up 2nd row seats. If you are under 6' or normally sleep on your side with your legs bent, a Tahoe will work ok, and alone, diagonally, for sure.

I still haven't made a proper sleeping extension for my drawer platform, but I've only slept in it a couple times, piling up my stuff on the stored 2nd row seats to support my feet. My drawer platform is ~54" deep, from Liftgate to the backs of the upright 2nd row seats.

auxbatt062%20current.jpg

Hope to get that platform extension done by this spring and replace the old dead 4:3 ceiling LCD TV with a new HD ratio screen, tied to my aftermarket dash DVD player, then I can crash out in comfort watching movies

I'd like to sleep 2 people comfortably in whatever I go with, without pulling a trailer or buying one of those crazy expensive roof tents. I got this Tahoe to be a winter beater so I could leave my mustang under it's cover, picked it up for $2000 with the intent of fixing it as I go.
The more suburban builds I see, the more I wish I went with a 03-06 model burb as opposed to my 02 Tahoe

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Make sure to get one with hydroboost, maybe 04+. I think 05+ got e-fans and maybe a dash upgrade (double din). Really the 3/4 tons are getting pretty cheap. Can’t go wrong with a Suburban.

My mom said it best about the difference between a tahoe/yukon and Suburban:

“I looked back and the vehicle just ended!”

(Regarding the shortness of the tahoe/yukon)

02TahoeMD

Explorer
If you plan on sleeping more than one person, most definitely upgrade to a Suburban. A 2500 Sub would be great in my opinion. I live and travel alone so the Tahoe works fine for me, but would certainly be more cramped if I had to try to add someone in the back.

03tahoe

Here's a way to look at it, coming from someone who owns a Tahoe and maybe now wishes they had a Suburban: 1) If you think a 100 series Land Cruiser is awesome but can't afford one then a Tahoe would be closer size-wise, so go with a Tahoe. OR. 2) If you like GMT800 series trucks/SUVs and want the most interior storage space go with a Suburban.
I bought the Tahoe thinking along the lines of number 1. But now with two kids reasoning number 2 makes more sense. Either way they are both great rigs IMHO.

wirenut

Adventurer
If you're already thinking suburban go ahead and do it before you put a lot of work and money into the Tahoe and then upgrade. While you're at it, get a 2500 Suburban. But, if the issue is being able to sleep in the vehicle why not get a van. Or, have a look at a pick-up with a truck camper. You should be able to just leave a fairly small camper on all the time. You wouldn't need to park it separately from the truck.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
A few have mentioned it, but I think it deserves more attention: Going to a Burb will let you upgrade to a 2500. Stronger engine, trans, axles, suspension. All the things the 1500 guys look at upgrading. Mine fit 315s with the stock rear air ride, and just front keys...

Attachments

• burb 171221.jpg
    burb 171221.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 180128.jpg
    180128.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94