SOLD Turtleback Expedition Trailer FS

***SOLD***

2014 Turtleback Expedition camp trailer
$17,000

For sale is the Turtleback I purchased in 2016 from the original owner. I am changing jobs and will no longer have unlimited free storage space or flexibility to take expedition-length trips. Rather than have the trailer sit outside, I am passing it along to the next enthusiast. I have kept the trailer stored in my garage or in covered parking at my office.

The upgrades I’ve made are the result of a number of small trips and two epic, multi-week trips I’ve been lucky to make:
• 2016– Atlanta to Montreal, NY, VT, NH, ME, ending at Outer Banks of North Carolina
• 2017– Atlanta to Four Corners to Moab, Moab to Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs to Ouray, Ouray to Atlanta

Upgrades/Included accessories:
• 23 Zero Sydney 2200 rooftop tent with fully enclosed annex room, 3 inch high destiny mattress, removable rain fly, true sky-view ceiling panels for star gazing, dual ladders (Sleeping area 87" wide x 96" long (11” wider & 16” longer than a king size bed); awning footprint 89” wide x 98" deep)
• Custom aluminum articulating roof rack with gas struts for lift assistance & e-track for securing tent while raised or stowed (RTT stows to height of ___ on 35” tires, raises to give +/-77” clear height in annex)
• FrontierPlay Aluminum Kitchen Dry Storage Box (38”x13”x18” – fits nicely in main cargo area; upgraded with wheels on one end to facilitate loading)
• Two cedar platforms that form the base of the main cargo area and can be used under ladders in annex to protect the floor from puncture)
• 4-gallon Rotopax
• Nose box keyed to match other doors
• Max Coupler
• Custom tailgate – stainless Turtleback table, Rotopax mount, 2” receiver tube for bike rack (no unloading bikes necessary to access kitchen), De-Sta-Co latches at top edges (carries 35” spare, not included in sale; original Turtleback tailgate design failed due to weight of tire-mounted bicycle rack)
• BAL 23231 “C jacks” stabilizing outriggers (2 front, 1 rear; 3.000 lb capacity each)
• New 3-meter stainless steel shower hose (longer & more flexible than stock plastic hose)
• Turtleback custom stainless steel adjustable height awning brackets (included but not installed)
• Prodigy wireless trailer brake controller

Specs as purchased from original owner:
• Full Steel Trailer 2x3 Perimeter Box Frame
• 3500# stub Rubber Torsion axles
• 2500# Springs, 10” Electric Brakes
• Forward and Aft Receiver Hitches on Frame
• Bedliner Coated Chassis
• White Powder Coated Aluminum Skin
• 2 Side and 1 Rear Compartment Doors w/ Matching Keys,
• LED lights
• Propane Tank with Stainless Steel Bracket and lock
• Deka group 24 AGM Marine Battery in Box,
• Blue Sea Systems® Marine Grade Electrical Components
• 4 Rail Cargo Bar Roof Rack (replaced with articulating rack but can be included)
• Bedliner Coated
• 2000# Swing Away Tongue Jack with Foot
• Safety Chains
• 7 Way Trailer Plug Wired to: Running, Brake, Turn lights; Charge Line & Trailer Brakes
• Interior Lighting in Cargo Area and Kitchen
• 42 Gallon Fresh Water Tank (Food Grade, BPA Free Construction)
• Flowjet 12v Demand Water Pump
• Atwood 6 Gallon DSI Water Heater
• Exterior Shower
• Baltic Birch Pantry Drawer in Kitchen Area
• Baltic Birch Slide Out Kitchen with 2 Drawers
• 2 Burner Wedgewood Stainless Steel Stove with Stainless Cover by Atwood
• Stainless Steel Sink with hot & cold pull-out spray handle faucet

Note: 1UP bike rack not included. Trailer is photographed with three 35” Goodyear MT/Rs on stock 80 series Land Cruiser wheels. These are NOT INCLUDED in the sale. The trailer will be delivered with two BFG 275/70/16s mounted on the wheels as I purchased the trailer. The prior owner used the same size tires on his 4Runner (same 6-on-5.5” Toyota bolt pattern on trailer).

Willing to deliver for $0.50/mile within 300 miles of Atlanta. Delivery to other locations negotiable.

DSC_0320.jpgDSC_0319.jpgDSC_0318.jpgDSC_0317.jpgDSC_0316.jpgDSC_0315.jpgDSC_0314.jpg

Last edited:

ionyota

Cool setup. The tent looks like it is pretty good size...how many can sleep comfortably in there?

Do you know (roughly) what it weighs empty/dry?

Cool setup. The tent looks like it is pretty good size...how many can sleep comfortably in there?

The similar size CVT tent is advertised as a 4+ person tent.

The 2016 brochure lists the weight of the Expedition model as 1650 lbs but it's not clear to me whether that is with or without RTT.

johnfguild

I believe that tent will sleep a family of four comfortably (I sleep two adults and a child with lots of room to spare). I believe they run close to 2,000 with a tent, spare tire, etc. but without water, gear in storage, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles