I'm liking the new 2018 Jeep Rubicon, talk me out of it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, she's pretty impressive, especially to someone who's had one--

That model is pretty much like the JL I've got ordered-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: yeah, I've seen that one and about a dozen others--

Looks like jeep is making quite a splash and it's about time, besides offering 3 seperate engines for the new JL Ruby-

Whatever

BlackdogGS

Observer
I'm a regular on www.jlwranglerforums.com which is probably the most active JL specific forum out there.

As for talking you out of the new JL Rubicon, the only thing I'd be wary of is the fact that it's a new generation of Wrangler which may be prone to problems. If you can wait, I'd wait maybe a year so that FCA can sort out any issues. It probably isn't a big deal for a casual owner who happens to live near a Jeep dealer. But it could be an issue for someone who wants to take their JL on a long road trip shortly after their purchase.

Thanks! I just signed up on the JLwrangler site. Im BlackdogGS there as well. I just talked to a dealer that was listed there.

maguro

Ive been eyeing up one as well and trying to sell our Jeep to get one....wife isn’t really on board since she does love her Jeep. Just wish it was a rubicon, would save me the money I’ll have to dump into the front diff and a rear gear.

Local dealer has the perfect rubicon in stock...$58,500 Canadian.

It must be fully loaded? That seems quite high.

BTW, in case you didn't know, FCA is offering zero percent financing on the JL until the end of the month.

Very tempting but I'm holding out for Mojito!

maxfederle89

Talk you out of it? It's a crap ton of money and you can spend a lot less on an older Jeep that is just as capable. And that coming from a 29 year old, not some jaded mid life crisis-er

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

BlackdogGS

Observer
Talk you out of it? It's a crap ton of money and you can spend a lot less on an older Jeep that is just as capable. And that coming from a 29 year old, not some jaded mid life crisis-er

I’ve been pricing them and I’m pretty sure I can get a well equipped Rubicon for $46,000.
I’m thinking that’s not to bad as this will be replacing the $67,000 truck I’ve been looking at.

Heavyopp

Observer
A lot has already been covered, so I won't repeat too much:

The 3.6L is a carryover from the previous model, except it now has start/stop technology for a 1-2 mpg bump. They also brought back the front axle disconnect system which was problematic back on the YJ, but it's now electric and 30 years newer so who knows, maybe it's a good system.

I wonder if you can bypass the "Start/Stop" -- who the hell wants a jeep that shuts off every time you stop moving -- seems very silly to me to save 1or 2 MPG at the expense of a few starters

BlackdogGS

Observer
I wonder if you can bypass the "Start/Stop" -- who the hell wants a jeep that shuts off every time you stop moving -- seems very silly to me to save 1or 2 MPG at the expense of a few starters

A simple switch on the dash let’s you turn that feature off.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The new JL comes with a "START/STOP" disable button on the dash and there are systems/methods to disable the system, so it depends on how worried you are about "GAS MILEAGE"-

Whatever

BlackdogGS

Observer
We took the 2018 JK out for a test drive. We're actually wanting to buy the JL so a few things are different I know but it gave us a good idea. I haven't been in a vehicle with a solid front axle for a while but I adapted just fine. It was a windy and my wife found the body sway to be a little much at highway speeds, around town no problem.

maxfederle89

I’ve been pricing them and I’m pretty sure I can get a well equipped Rubicon for $46,000.
I’m thinking that’s not to bad as this will be replacing the $67,000 truck I’ve been looking at.
I can understand your numbers, but those are still astronomical for me to comprehend. I've owned a few vehicles in my small life so far and they don't add up to 46k combined. It's just a different perspective, but if a guy wants a jeep bad, why not fine a well taken care of JK for somewhere in the 20k range? Heck, my wife wants a Wrangler so bad it has me looking at TJ's under 10k so I'd have room to build it a little if it's stock. Or a fella could luck out and find a city driven Wrangler that already has some sound modifications. Nice little lift 33+ tires in good shape. I just can't understand the appeal of brand new vehicles when we're talking about $40k+

Sorry for the rant. This is a topic I've thought a lot about.

harv3589

Adventurer
It must be fully loaded? That seems quite high.

BTW, in case you didn't know, FCA is offering zero percent financing on the JL until the end of the month.

Very tempting but I'm holding out for Mojito!

Much more in Canada. Not going to do it, just not worth it. For the money I would be spending I could put a teraflex axle front and rear in our current jk and be further ahead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles