I'm liking the new 2018 Jeep Rubicon, talk me out of it.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I'm a long time 4X4 guy but the last jeep I owner was a 1953 CJ 3B and that was in 1972. I'm nearly 70 now. I was looking for a new truck but the new Rubicons got my attention today. What can you tell me about them? I love to travel and explore. I get way out in remote areas. I was into rock crawling years ago but have no intention of doing it again. I will use all the capabilities of the jeep. Also, what forums are best? I was on Pirate 4x4 for many years but didn't see anything on the new Jeep. I have other trucks and SUV's so I have that covered. I just want to have fun. Thanks

maguro

I'm a regular on www.jlwranglerforums.com which is probably the most active JL specific forum out there.

As for talking you out of the new JL Rubicon, the only thing I'd be wary of is the fact that it's a new generation of Wrangler which may be prone to problems. If you can wait, I'd wait maybe a year so that FCA can sort out any issues. It probably isn't a big deal for a casual owner who happens to live near a Jeep dealer. But it could be an issue for someone who wants to take their JL on a long road trip shortly after their purchase.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Nina Barlow has taken delivery of a few and is going through it in great detail. On her Instagram page she refers to her Facebook page for more detail. I'm not on FB, so you are on your own in finding that.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Nina Barlow has taken delivery of a few and is going through it in great detail. On her Instagram page she refers to her Facebook page for more detail. I'm not on FB, so you are on your own in finding that.

Thanks but there are many Nina Barlows on FB. Ii need a direct link.

harv3589

Adventurer
Ive been eyeing up one as well and trying to sell our Jeep to get one....wife isn’t really on board since she does love her Jeep. Just wish it was a rubicon, would save me the money I’ll have to dump into the front diff and a rear gear.

Local dealer has the perfect rubicon in stock...$58,500 Canadian.

Last edited:

ratled

Adventurer
Blackdog I am old and broken before my time and when I was thinking about a new to me truck I somehow wound up taking a new Jeep home. My objectives were I can't get stuck out there in the middle of nowhere by myself. I was surprised how expensive they are, especially the new (older style) ones are/were. Then I looked at how much the trucks are going for! The used ones held their price remarkably well I wound up with a 2017 new one last year.

Like they said when they unveiled the new ones in LA "there is one guy who wants to be buried in his Jeep as there hasn't been a hole that his Jeep couldn't get him out of". Moving from a full sized truck to a Jeep did take a little use to getting use to but it was very easy and I now prefer the Jeep. I took too much junk before anyways. My old truck couldn't get down some of those trails marked "Jeep Trail" now are not an issue. twice last year I had to use the "tank mode" button and clicked the rear locker and popped right out. Yea I know you get lockers on trucks now but it's not the normal option for most trucks. If you drop from a full size to a mid or mini but then you are giving up a l;ot- IMHO.

There are two cons though but it's just part of a jeep. The MPg isn't that great, I'm was getting 15.9 mpg and the truck was getting 20, even loaded with a the V8. But as my daily driver I'm not commuting to work everyday so it's not so bad. I did add a level kit to improve the handling and it handling and that help too - with the ride and even the mpg. I hear both have been improved with the new model.

One word of caution though is the spare. I have a bum arm and leg so getting the spare up and down is an issue but just enough for me to handle.

If I was considering one it's worth your time to check it out. I would get one if I didn't have mine. Although mine is last year's previous model, and there are a lot of difference now. Feel free to drop me a note if there are questions I can answer

ratled

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: There isn't anything really NEW about this JL jeep, it seems that after 11 years of complaining to Chrysler they are finally honoring the jeepers complaints-

The engine is slightly improved/8spd auto (fantastic)/6-spd stick "R" swapped from right to left side/low gear 5.13/1 and crawl ratio 84/1(Ruby)/complete revamped Dana 44s/widened 1" Ruby fenders raised 2"/33" tires straight from factory/suspension setup for immediate 35" tires/info/comm center on dash/improved relocation of rear shocks for stability/better ride/improved steering wheel controls--

It's just a total improvement on the JK both Ruby/sport/unlimited and there aren't many JK parts that are swappable either

Cost is a LITTLE MORE but worthit, although there is a limit on colors for a while-

A hybrid and diesel will be offered soon in the Ruby--pay attention-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

According to jeep everything is new

They say they did not use any carry over parts. The trans is new to the jeep the frame body axels are new all are larger. The interior is all new. But and here is the good part. It still is a jeep it feels very familiar yet so much more refined. I drove one the other day and it is as far ahead of my 08 jku rubicon as the Cj was beyond a horse and freight wagon. The ride is firm and smooth the low range is so low you almost can’t tell you are moving

Op I am in the same boat I like the solitude of being out and alone But I don’t want to get stuck or walk out I suggest you look at jlwranglerforums. You can see reviews from folks that already have them Learn about wher to buy for 12% under msrp and see all sorts of reviews etc. I am going to buy one as soon as the tan premium soft top comes available hopefully this week

BlackdogGS

Observer
They say they did not use any carry over parts. The trans is new to the jeep the frame body axels are new all are larger. The interior is all new. But and here is the good part. It still is a jeep it feels very familiar yet so much more refined. I drove one the other day and it is as far ahead of my 08 jku rubicon as the Cj was beyond a horse and freight wagon. The ride is firm and smooth the low range is so low you almost can't tell you are moving

Op I am in the same boat I like the solitude of being out and alone But I don't want to get stuck or walk out I suggest you look at jlwranglerforums. You can see reviews from folks that already have them Learn about wher to buy for 12% under msrp and see all sorts of reviews etc. I am going to buy one as soon as the tan premium soft top comes available hopefully this week

Thanks! If any of you have a link to this 12% under I'd appreciate it. My understanding is the the jeep is completely new and improved. The only thing similar is the looks. The is the only site that's giving me good feedback.

Justincredible

Adventurer
A lot has already been covered, so I won't repeat too much:

The 3.6L is a carryover from the previous model, except it now has start/stop technology for a 1-2 mpg bump. They also brought back the front axle disconnect system which was problematic back on the YJ, but it's now electric and 30 years newer so who knows, maybe it's a good system.

Later this year they will release the 4 cylinder turbo which has more power and torque than the 6 cylinder. They also claim it gets better MPG, but in my experience the new turbo 4 cylinders a lot of cars have these days do not return the real world mileage that they claim.

Next year they should release the 3.0 diesel which they claim will return 30mpg and much more torque.

In 2020 comes the hybrid. We'll see how that goes.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: heh Heh, NEW is an advertising PLOY--

Still uses The DANA 44(improved)/ same frame design(improved)/same engine/same auto (improved)/same shocks(improved location)

Of course it seems NEW and actually it's the best jeep ever made by legal production-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier