Spares

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thinking of a road trip this fall. What spares would you recommend I carry (not a spare LR, already thought of that) for possible issues. The LR is/has recently been gone over but I am gathering the things that might cause concern far from home or a LR facility. Have ordered a new alternator and am having new plugs installed (130K miles, probably the same plugs it came with). It is a 2nd owner vehicle but many things are new on it now. I have things fixed as they come up and don't wait till it won't move to repair things.
Tales of issues you have had are welcome.

azarmadillo

Adventurer
Would help to know what model. If it's a RRC or D1 I would suggest fuel pump, all belts, alternator and a bag of relays and an ECU.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks for bringing that up.

Did I leave out pertinent info? Guess so. 2007 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 w/ 130K+ miles.

Serviced at 116K w/ F&R (locking) diff. & Xfer case oil service, brake flush, new air compressor (LR4), new L & R lower control arms, new tie rod ends, oil service every 5K miles since then, new water pump. New crosslink valve, New sway bar bushings rear. Hoses inspected and found OK.
New brake rotors and pads @ 127K miles. Removed TPMS as new tires installed on steel rims. Removed F & R distance sensors because ARB front and Tech 4X rear bumper installed (without them). New temp cont valve and heads R&R to be machined due to warping, done at 117K miles (poor service from PO).

I am trying to keep this thing in good order but things do come up now and then. I carry a spare belt. (This is left over from owning many VW autos previously).

Happy trails

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Thanks for bringing that up.

Did I leave out pertinent info? Guess so. 2007 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 w/ 130K+ miles.

Serviced at 116K w/ F&R (locking) diff. & Xfer case oil service, brake flush, new air compressor (LR4), new L & R lower control arms, new tie rod ends, oil service every 5K miles since then, new water pump. New crosslink valve, New sway bar bushings rear. Hoses inspected and found OK.
New brake rotors and pads @ 127K miles. Removed TPMS as new tires installed on steel rims. Removed F & R distance sensors because ARB front and Tech 4X rear bumper installed (without them). New temp cont valve and heads R&R to be machined due to warping, done at 117K miles (poor service from PO).

I am trying to keep this thing in good order but things do come up now and then. I carry a spare belt. (This is left over from owning many VW autos previously).

Happy trails

IID tool
Fan belt
Fan nut/pulley wrenches
oil filter
13mm socket/wrench minimum
air filter
PCV
bleeder T or brass straight barbed fitting (nobody needs the T)
3lb hammer
7/8 socket and 1/2 bar for lugs
spark plug socket
torx bits for various hoses, fittings
brake light switch
some bulbs

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks.

IID tool--got it

Fan belt--got it

Fan nut/pulley wrenches-need, not sure where to source

oil filter--got it

13mm socket/wrench minimum--got it, complete socket set

air filter--got it

PCV-need

bleeder T or brass straight barbed fitting (nobody needs the T)--got it, not installed yet

3lb hammer--got it (actually 2lb for tent stakes)

7/8 socket and 1/2 bar for lugs--got it, always in vehicle

spark plug socket-need

torx bits for various hoses, fittings--got it, complete set

brake light switch-need (just ordered from Amazon for $15, free shipping)

some bulbs-need

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I tried the LED bulbs for the tail lights/flashers but they flash rapidly and that is not good. took them out and put the incandescents back in. Still have the LED bulbs. I was told that my LR has some kind of voltage issue with LED bulbs, a design sort of thing.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I tried the LED bulbs for the tail lights/flashers but they flash rapidly and that is not good. took them out and put the incandescents back in. Still have the LED bulbs. I was told that my LR has some kind of voltage issue with LED bulbs, a design sort of thing.

If the LED bulbs do not have ballast built into them to correct for the incandescent setup they will have issues.

Exploder
Stick with OEM bulbs for the brake lights.

Stick with bulbs, a brake switch, and a IId tool. If the truck is regularly maintained, you don't need a box full of spares.

Have the alternator and battery tested.

Ray_G

Explorer
Stick with OEM bulbs for the brake lights.

Stick with bulbs, a brake switch, and a IId tool. If the truck is regularly maintained, you don't need a box full of spares.

Have the alternator and battery tested.

^This.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks for the information and suggestions.
I have ordered an extra set of bulbs (front, rear) to keep on hand for possible outages. The ARB bumper may create issues in removing the front light assembly for refitting the bulbs, its just a bit of maneuvering to free the assembly but it can be done.

krick3tt

Adventurer
OK, lots of info but no opinions on fuses?
This vehicle is apparently dependent on electronics and every circuit has fuses. What are the most common and probably needed?
I am having the plugs changed this weekend.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
OK, lots of info but no opinions on fuses?
This vehicle is apparently dependent on electronics and every circuit has fuses. What are the most common and probably needed?
I am having the plugs changed this weekend.

Why not just buy a box of assorted fuses.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Thanks for the information and suggestions.
I have ordered an extra set of bulbs (front, rear) to keep on hand for possible outages. The ARB bumper may create issues in removing the front light assembly for refitting the bulbs, its just a bit of maneuvering to free the assembly but it can be done.

You will need to remove the ARB bar in order to get the headlamp assembly out. Some say its possible without removing the bar but I have not seen it done. You're gonna get very handy with a set of 18mm wrenches and hope you've got baby hands and wrists

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles