Eating crow....2018 Ram Power Wagon build

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Not sure, but I think the Ellis sliders mount at least partially to the pinch welds, and the Aluminess appear to be completely separate from the pinch welds.

There are a lot of differences between the 3G and 4G trucks, but basically the 4Gs are longer and wider and have compromised approach and departure angles due to federal bumper height regulations. Harder to fit 37s to a 4G without suspension mods, and the 3Gs have better sight lines over the front end. 4Gs have larger interiors, more gears in the auto trans, more complicated electronics and electronic nannies, different springs (coils vs leaves), different diff ratios, and on and on. But the 3Gs are better off road...

4gens will fit 37s bone stock with wheels with around +20mm backspacing. Tons of guys have done it. It only requires minor plastic trimming inside the wheel well especially if you stay 12.5 wide rather than 13.5.

Also, that mounting section of the inside rocker panel is a boxed section. Whether or not it's up to the task of supporting the weight of the truck I have no idea. The bolt things that are used to mount steps there do have a rather massive washer that actually spans the two bolts so it's about 4" x 1". If I were to mount a slider there, I'd want to make sure that the slider would contact the pinch seam on the entire length of the slider when pushed upward. Pinch seams are extremely strong sections of the truck and if you can spread weight down the length of it will easily hold the truck up. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the Aluminess slider does that.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
4gens will fit 37s bone stock with wheels with around +20mm backspacing. Tons of guys have done it. It only requires minor plastic trimming inside the wheel well especially if you stay 12.5 wide rather than 13.5.
A lot of 3Gs are running 37s on bone stock wheels and suspension with no trimming required on anything. Whether 3G or 4G, it's one helluva truck right out of the box.

So... test drive was a mixed bag.

The Minister of War and Finance loves how it looks, and was OK with how it rode. Really there were 4 things that she didn't like vs. F150/F250, and 3 of them she can get over... but 1 I don't think she can.

3 minor: She likes the full panoramic sunroof from the FSeries. She really likes the cross traffic monitoring as well. The third is more mine than hers - although I'm tall at 6'3", that isn't crazy tall - but my head is ~1" from the ceiling of the truck. It feels a little clausterphobic, but I could live with it - although while bouncing around offroad, perhaps it would become an issue. The truck had a sunroof, I don't know if eliminating the sunroof would create any additional clearance or not.

1 major: The windshield causes vision distortion. It really messed with her and made her queasy. I couldn't see it as much as I could feel it slightly - but to her it is pretty much a deal breaker. We didn't sit in other trucks so I suppose it could be a defect, but I don't see how - the center of the windshield is fine, and when you look straight ahead from driver or passenger seat is fine, but when you look out the opposite side of the windshield from where you're sitting, the distortion due to curvature is there.

It's a huge bummer to me - we were quoted an incredible price to purchase an order just how we would want it, but if we can't do long trips in it without making her seasick, it simply won't do.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
So... test drive was a mixed bag.

The Minister of War and Finance loves how it looks, and was OK with how it rode. Really there were 4 things that she didn't like vs. F150/F250, and 3 of them she can get over... but 1 I don't think she can.

3 minor: She likes the full panoramic sunroof from the FSeries. She really likes the cross traffic monitoring as well. The third is more mine than hers - although I'm tall at 6'3", that isn't crazy tall - but my head is ~1" from the ceiling of the truck. It feels a little clausterphobic, but I could live with it - although while bouncing around offroad, perhaps it would become an issue. The truck had a sunroof, I don't know if eliminating the sunroof would create any additional clearance or not.

1 major: The windshield causes vision distortion. It really messed with her and made her queasy. I couldn't see it as much as I could feel it slightly - but to her it is pretty much a deal breaker. We didn't sit in other trucks so I suppose it could be a defect, but I don't see how - the center of the windshield is fine, and when you look straight ahead from driver or passenger seat is fine, but when you look out the opposite side of the windshield from where you're sitting, the distortion due to curvature is there.

It's a huge bummer to me - we were quoted an incredible price to purchase an order just how we would want it, but if we can't do long trips in it without making her seasick, it simply won't do.

the trucks not equipped with sunroofs have massive head room - i have one. im 6 foot and i have easily 6+ inches above my head

sounds like a defective windshield - i have yet to experience that in my truck from the driver or passenger position.

homeguy

Observer
I love the power wagon’s. I just can’t convince my wife that’s what she wants. She drives a 1500 Laramie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I love the power wagon's. I just can't convince my wife that's what she wants. She drives a 1500 Laramie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AEV's monthly Live Q&A was Thursday and Matt said that they've figured out the air-ride issues for the Recruit suspensions. So it looks like the Rebel and other air-ride equipped 1500s are going to be viable alternatives now.

I think I'm going to take wifey to the local dealership and sit in several 2500s to see if they have the same windshield effect. Searching the web I just don't see complaints about it, and surely there would be some if it was widespread.

Just got off phone with a dealer who is quoting far enough under the local guys to fund a set of AEV wheels, 35” tires, and Amp Steps... but a great deal won't do me any good if my wife is car sick every time we get in the truck!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'd try another truck without the sunroof. It definitely affects head room at least an inch and maybe 2. Mine has no windshield distortion at all and I have never heard or read of that problem before.

BTW 35s look small on these trucks with any bit of lift IMO. Heck, my factory 20s were almost 34" tall.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have not noticed the windshield distortion in mine, absolutely no sign of such phenomenon and I just went out and sat in it a few seconds ago. I am willing to believe that the truck you drove had a funky/defective windshield. My truck doesn't have a sunroof and it has gobs of head room, I'd look into ordering one without it.

I understand your wife liking the doodads on the Ford, mine likes them as well and she has stolen my Ford in short order as of late lol. At the end of the day, both are awesome trucks but different, the Power Wagon is simply better setup for the overland lifestyle off the lot. I feel the Ford is a slightly better vehicle overall, but it will take more money to get it close to where the PW is out of the box.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have not noticed the windshield distortion in mine, absolutely no sign of such phenomenon and I just went out and sat in it a few seconds ago. I am willing to believe that the truck you drove had a funky/defective windshield. My truck doesn't have a sunroof and it has gobs of head room, I'd look into ordering one without it.

I understand your wife liking the doodads on the Ford, mine likes them as well and she has stolen my Ford in short order as of late lol. At the end of the day, both are awesome trucks but different, the Power Wagon is simply better setup for the overland lifestyle off the lot. I feel the Ford is a slightly better vehicle overall, but it will take more money to get it close to where the PW is out of the box.

Absolutely agree with this. When I bought my Ram in 2014 I didn't even look at the Superduty since it was a decade (or more) old design. It's totally new now and until the new Ram comes out next year will be on top in the interior department. That wasn't the case when I bought mine. Who knows when the 5th gen Ram comes out but the sneak peeks sure look pretty.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Speaking of doodads, I saw an interview yesterday with the head of interior design for Ram. It was done at the Detroit Auto Show with lots of video of the new truck interior. Dash has more doodads than a 747 and enough LED lights to cause epilectic seizures. One of the options they are most proud of is a 12" LED screen integrated into the dash. Glad I'm not in the market for a new truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles