Lurchy shift

Worshington

Observer
So I decided to check to see if cleaning the MAF would help the situation. Now the truck will not turn over at all. For some reason, this has made me confident that the MAF is the problem. Otherwise why would tampering with it have changed the outcome? Right guys? Heh heh.

Anyway the part was in a bad way, complete with a dead bug carcass jammed in the screen. I will know tomorrow morning when I pick up the new part.

Worshington

Observer
I should have chosen my words more carefully, starter turns, engine wont fire up. This is after cleaning the MAF sensor, but not replacing it. Prior to cleaning it the engine fired then died when switching from high to low idle. I’m not super confident it’s the MAF, but prior to cleaning it, all the symptoms pointed to MAF. Now not so sure, but I want to see the original plan through, before I start looking at other issues. I will definitely need to check my hoses as you suggested, because I disconnected those today.

While the intake hose was off, I did a cursory job of cleaning The intake manifold, could that have something to do with it?

Cheers,

Jason

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Also how dirty was the intake manifold, and how did you clean it? You were probably only cleaning the throttle body, where the butterfly is located. There are small air passages that allow air around the butterfly, you may have clogged it up.

Worshington

Observer
The check engine light has not popped back on.

As for the manifold, in front of the butterfly wasn’t too dirty. Behind the butterfly was dirty. To do a half assed job of cleaning it, I gave it a few sprays of MAF cleaner from a distance, and wiped with a shop towel.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Does it die quickly or does it make a big deal about dying slowly? Again, I'd check every vacuum line you can get to. If they're loose, clip the end and push it back on so it's tight again. Does the fuel rail in the Gen-3 have a Schrader valve to check fuel pressure?

SD_Montero

Observer
Just a loose electrical connection maybe? I remember I had one come loose close to the MAF. Wouldn't even start .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles