Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lurchy shift

Well, I wish you would've read the codes before you replaced the battery. Unhooking it reset it, so now the computer doesn't know what the problem is either. I'm still betting it's a sensor: Crank Position, cam angle, Throttle position most likely. Could be the MAP or MAF, since it's quitting right between high/low idle (closed/open loop), but it should still run without either of those, it'd just run really bad.
    14' KL Trailhawk for family adventures. 93 ZJ for solo distance trips. 79 Jeep J-10 when I'm feeling dangerous. KE0LSU

Well I picked up a code reader and decided to give reading it a shot anyway. That didnít work, I donít want to start buying parts if I donít have an accurate diagnostic. I think Iíve put myself in a position where I need to have a mechanic look at it.

Get an in-line spark checker and see if you are getting spark. Not many things will cause a total no-start condition. Is it acting like it is trying to start at all? Crank and cam sensor failure will cut the ignition so you wouldnít have spark if one of those sensors failed.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Thanks for jumping in Salonika,

It will start just fine, but it will die when it goes off of high idle. After researching MAF symptoms, I'm starting to think that's what it is. I'm going to clean the MAF tonight to see if that improves anything and go from there. If it is the MAF, it seems like an easy fix, plug and play. I will report back.

Cheers,

Jason

Check the condition of all the vacuum lines on your intake plenum......the surge you could have experienced may have been from a loose vac line, or one cracking, etc. You'd be amazed what even a small vac leak will do to the engine balance. At idle, I popped off the EVAP line once and stuck my thumb over it. I rolled my thumb around and played with allowing different amounts of air in there and it was surprising how sensitive it is. Fully open, that opening made the engine shake horribly. Good luck.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

So I decided to check to see if cleaning the MAF would help the situation. Now the truck will not turn over at all. For some reason, this has made me confident that the MAF is the problem. Otherwise why would tampering with it have changed the outcome? Right guys? Heh heh.

Anyway the part was in a bad way, complete with a dead bug carcass jammed in the screen. I will know tomorrow morning when I pick up the new part.

Doubtful that a failed or failing MAF would prevent the engine from even turning over.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

I should have chosen my words more carefully, starter turns, engine wont fire up. This is after cleaning the MAF sensor, but not replacing it. Prior to cleaning it the engine fired then died when switching from high to low idle. Iím not super confident itís the MAF, but prior to cleaning it, all the symptoms pointed to MAF. Now not so sure, but I want to see the original plan through, before I start looking at other issues. I will definitely need to check my hoses as you suggested, because I disconnected those today.

While the intake hose was off, I did a cursory job of cleaning The intake manifold, could that have something to do with it?

Cheers,

Jason

You haven’t gotten a check engine light back on yet?
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Also how dirty was the intake manifold, and how did you clean it? You were probably only cleaning the throttle body, where the butterfly is located. There are small air passages that allow air around the butterfly, you may have clogged it up.
    1998 Montero Gen 2.5 C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast