91 LWB Lq4 5.3 swap

4runnin

Observer
Couple final clearance shots.

20180211_141438.jpg

20180211_141445.jpg

yikes! you made it work!

fans in front of the radiator?

im assuming the engine is so far forward tbecause you lined it up with existing driveline dimensions?

Last edited:

4runnin

Observer
Moved it forward because I decided on a custom rad and efans. I was originally gonna go with a clutch style fan and move it back, but like u said I wanted to keep the driveline semi normal

JAVYPRO

Observer
I have been wanting to see a swap like this but more in detail like you are doing here. I knew of a guy who did a 6.2L radical swap but he kinda disappeared.

I have also seen that the guys at Mohenic Garage, they are in Korea, do the same swap, the power and drivability will be awesome.

Please keep the info coming.

Thanks,
Javy

4runnin

Observer
I wish I had the time money and knowhow to do a crazy swap like that. Trying to get this done with a house, wife, kid and another on the way is effing hard lol.

But, I can somewhat see the light at the end of the tunnel. When the motor goes in for the final time this weekend I think things will start to move a little more quickly.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Excellent work! I put an L99/6L80 (6.2L from 2012 Camaro) in my 1988 LR Defender. You are going to be very happy. I do recommend you gusset the top of those engine frame mounts. You will be surprised how much stress they take. Here’s a pic of mine:

7A91B01E-9519-42A9-946F-A9E6D6088539.jpg

4runnin

Observer
Holy balls that thing probably moves. I plan to run a simple plate between the mounts. Should be sufficient, I hope lol

4runnin

Observer
Update:

The weather killed me yesterday, wasn't able to get to exactly where I wanted. The hose fwas frozen so I couldn't finish cleaning and painting the motor.

But, the engine mounts are welded and painted. Oil pan was removed and cleaned, all gaskets were done. Boring stuff.

I'll have pics of everything going in tomorrow, finally have a day off to make some serious progress.

4runnin

Observer
MOTOR IS IN !!!

20180219_164018.jpg

Got her pretty clean

20180219_152615.jpg

Header clearance is gonna be awesome, used the manifolds for a quick reference.

20180219_164043.jpg

20180219_164034.jpg

Clearance between the manifold and firewall are awesome

20180219_164054.jpg

wow.

even the spark plugs....

funny story.

at the old oregon asphaltic paving there was many years ago a 400 pound mechanic. he could not get the plugs out of the fleet of chevy trucks they ran because he was too fat to bend over the fenders.
SO HE REMOVED THE FENDERS! TO CHANGE SPARK PLUGS!! on every service.
true story.

JAVYPRO

Observer
Excellent work! I put an L99/6L80 (6.2L from 2012 Camaro) in my 1988 LR Defender. You are going to be very happy. I do recommend you gusset the top of those engine frame mounts. You will be surprised how much stress they take. Here's a pic of mine:

View attachment 435313

This is a nice setup, WOW, You guys are pushing me to do something wild and crazy that I am sure my wife is not going to like it.

Javy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles