Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system

TRIARII

Adventurer
I've been using using TerraFirma suspension kits since day one and now I'd like to give something else a try. I'd like to have a 3.5-4 inch suspension lift with really robust shocks and coils in the rear to compensate for a fully loaded cargo Bay and towing a small Jeep trailer long term. I understand that there are a number of different suspension kits available from TerraFirma, Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Procomp, Fox etc. I also know that some of you folks mix and match various suspension components for your specific needs. In South Africa and Australia they actually have certified 4x4 outfit shops where you can bring in your suv/truck and have a team of experienced folks asses your specific needs, weigh your vehicle then put together a suspension system to best suit your needs. You tell them how much you plan on carrying for weight and how you intend on driving your vehicle and they do the rest. Seems like we don't have that luxury here. You pretty much just source a suspension lift kit that meets your budget and be on your way.*

I'm not interested in extreme rock crawl capabilities or flashy colored shocks and springs. This time around I want to do things right. I plan on buying a Jeep Trailer and loading it up so I don't want the back end of my truck to sag or hang low like you commonly see with pickup trucks that are towing. Kinda wish I had rear air suspension but alas. I don't care how firm or bouncy the ride is so long as I have a handsome lift and a stable truck while towing.

So what would you folks recommend?

2004 Discovery 2

99Discovery

Adventurer
You aren't interested in "extreme rock crawling" so why are you getting a 3.5-4" lift with the I'm assuming 33" or bigger tires? That's good for your rock crawling (which you aren't doing) but bad for on-road performance (which you want).

I'm an ARB fan. So my build is strictly OME 2", with HD springs and matching shocks with the steering damper (and I believe the HD steering kit (track bar/drag link) from Rover's north.

I've never had considerable load on it, but the aussie's designed it for expedition use, so there is that. The lift isn't very tall, so you'll be stuck with 265/17/r16 tires. If you have sliders and the right bumpers that's not a big deal and it keeps your highway ride while enhancing your off-road capability over stock.

If you want to go the extra mile, turn in your differential 3rd members and throw in True-tracs with 3.73 or 4.10 gears to get some highway power back while rolling on the 265s. Couple that with the CDL your '04 already has and you have a VERY VERY capable rig.

You started you post by stating you wish you could go somewhere and have a shop pick a suspension for "your needs". You don't "need" a 4" lift. It's detrimental for all of your stated goals, IMO. It might look sweet, and if that is your primary goal: great. But understand you should probably be looking at a 2"er and 265s if you aren't building a rock crawler.

I'm planning on taking mine on Golden Spike and Moab Rim, so it's not like the 2" lift can't crawl either...

James86004

Expedition Leader
Our 92 RR had a 2inch RTE lift with Bilstein 4600 series shocks when we bought it. With our family of 3 fully loaded, it weighs 5998 lbs according to the Cat scale at the Triple T truck stop. We have taken it many places, including over Charoleau Gap, Rug Road, the Mojave Road, and to Guatemala. On our trip to Guatemala, it bottomed out on a lot of the Mexican Topes. On trails with lots of ATV traffic, the shocks would fade pretty quickly and get hot enough to give your hand 2nd degree burns.

My daughter and I installed AirLift bags in the rear coils, which helped, especially switching between empty and fully loaded.

The change that really helped was the installation of Koni RAID shocks. We bought them after reading this Australian experience. We are glad we did, they are awesome. We can drive over speed bumps at ridiculous speeds and barely notice them. Control on the trail is outstanding. My wife loves the ride so much she wants them on our 1968 Land Rover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles