Zarges boxes for broke people?

SethJ

Observer
Title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for a Zarges or Alubox style aluminum case on a budget. $250 for an empty aluminum box is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. So far I have found 3 places on Amazon UK that sells similar boxes: Alutec, Enders, and huenersdorff. I was able to get a 47L from Enders for $72 including shipping to see how well they were built. It's built fairly well with 1mm thick walls and decent latches, the only problem I have is getting another one; the shipping price has jumped and will now cost $50 more. $120 is still a great price compared to zarges but I'm cheap and want to see if anyone has found anything cheaper or here in the U.S. And what in the world makes South African Boxes so expensive? Is their aluminum better? Was it blessed by Elon Musk?

perterra

Adventurer
The latches dont pop up like cheap ones?

Seriously, good aluminum welded cases take a good bit of work and quality design and materials. The Zarges are high quality,

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Have you seen one? They are not that great. They are light weight to the point of being flimsey. I got rid of mine as fast as I got it.

SethJ

Observer
Have you seen one? They are not that great. They are light weight to the point of being flimsey. I got rid of mine as fast as I got it.
Zarges or off brand? I was able to get an off brand and it's better than the cheap Plano sportsmans trunk I was using.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SethJ

Observer
The latches dont pop up like cheap ones?

Seriously, good aluminum welded cases take a good bit of work and quality design and materials. The Zarges are high quality,
Yes the latches do pop up but this box is better than the flimsy plastic box I was using. The thing is, I don't need military grade. I just want a decent box to put my gear in that's light weight and decently built but I can't afford to throw $200+ on a box.

perterra

Adventurer
Yes the latches do pop up but this box is better than the flimsy plastic box I was using. The thing is, I don't need military grade. I just want a decent box to put my gear in that's light weight and decently built but I can't afford to throw $200+ on a box.

You might could find a good rotomolded.

SethJ

Observer
You might could find a good rotomolded.
Any particular brand, I have seen frontrunners boxes and they are nice but I'm looking for something bigger. Looking for boxes around 45-50 liters.

perterra

Adventurer
Any particular brand, I have seen frontrunners boxes and they are nice but I'm looking for something bigger. Looking for boxes around 45-50 liters.

Honestly I dont know, the only boxes I have bought in the last year were Dewalt and Husky from Home Depot. My camping gear is pretty much all in water proof soft bags like the Wolfman duffle or the RTIC bags.

SethJ

Observer
Honestly I dont know, the only boxes I have bought in the last year were Dewalt and Husky from Home Depot. My camping gear is pretty much all in water proof soft bags like the Wolfman duffle or the RTIC bags.
Ok thank you, I am currently hunting a plastic alternative and will post what I find.

dcg141

Adventurer
I finally broke down and bought a Zarges. I just try to block what I paid for it out of my mind. Had a Plano plastic box for a really long time and it worked well. The aluminum box carries more while taking up less room but I'm with you on the price of those things.

SethJ

Observer
I finally broke down and bought a Zarges. I just try to block what I paid for it out of my mind. Had a Plano plastic box for a really long time and it worked well. The aluminum box carries more while taking up less room but I'm with you on the price of those things.
I was using two of the hinged Plano sportsmans trunks and this new box will replace them. I have found where many people use them and like them but I do not. They are too flimsy and the hinges are crap. It looks like everyone else is using the non hinged Plano boxes. I also found them to be inefficient in space since it is not perfectly square.

SethJ

Observer
Well that was quick... came across a sweet deal on a Harddigg box on eBay. It will be quite a bit heavier but the price was too good to pass up. Did find some other boxes before buying the Harddigg though. Newark.com, seahorse cases and monoprice have some good priced pelican alternatives.
MTM cases have some plastic ammo box style cases.
So far that's what I have found and for now my solution is solved but if anyone comes across a decent zarges or Alubox alternative please share.

dcg141

Adventurer
I was using two of the hinged Plano sportsmans trunks and this new box will replace them. I have found where many people use them and like them but I do not. They are too flimsy and the hinges are crap. It looks like everyone else is using the non hinged Plano boxes. I also found them to be inefficient in space since it is not perfectly square.

Agreed, the hinges do suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke