12 volt or 6 volt batteries?

RDinNHand AZ

The cheapest good battery in the US is sold by Sam’s Club and made by a reputable manufacturer called West Penn and sold under the name Duracell. They are built for golf cart use and last many years in my RV. The last ones I bought still had full 215 A-h capacity after 6 years. They cost less than $100 USD so for $200 you can afford to replace them every 6-8 years. Top them up with distilled water once a year and you will be happy, happy, happy. Don’t over think it or go down the battery rabit hole unless you want to be confused.

Last edited:

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Everyone recommended Sam’s Club GC2 golf cart batteries (DEKA) Greater ah hours than one 12V, best bang for the buck. I found a box on Amazon and couldn’t be happier w the results. I’d recommend one these to keep track of your batteries you don’t want go below 50%
E87E2F66-60F5-4CC8-ACC5-558435D7B474.jpeg4C31BAF0-21C7-45D3-8A04-87E83223C3FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Alloy

Everyone recommended Sam’s Club GC2 golf cart batteries (DEKA) Greater ah hours than one 12V, best bang for the buck. I found a box on Amazon and couldn’t be happier w the results. I’d recommend one these to keep track of your batteries you don’t want go below 50%
View attachment 704233View attachment 704234

Crimps on the cable lugs could look better. Is the nut on the shut loose?

Cut a block of wood to drop in the box beside the batteries to stop them from sliding around. it will save wear and tear on the cable going through the alum

Alloy

What I meant by a "marine battery" is a deep cycle battery for marine use on Electric trolling motors. THey're used for a true draw down use. We have two suppliers locally that I can get lead acid Golf Cart specific batteries from.
Thanks for the input.

Marine doesn't really mean anything...could be something as simple at studs on the terminals.

6V are generally the best value because of the production numbers made for golf carts.

Warranty dictates the quality of the battery.

When you get the batteries do a 20hr load test on them right away. You might be surprised

tacomabill

Called my local Batteriesplus and they have a 6 volt 220Ah $320USD each but under their own label but said it is made by Crown.

Ya think it is the same thing that I would get from Crown?

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Called my local Batteriesplus and they have a 6 volt 220Ah $320USD each but under their own label but said it is made by Crown.

Yes it will be the exact same battery, most batteries have multi re-labels

Sam’s Club Duracell made by DEKA
215ah

87B0C4BD-87E8-4D0C-866B-1B2DBE445CD5.jpeg

Alloy

I'll skip the long stories and say check the weight and if it matches this time it may or may not match the next time.

tacomabill

Was also told when new 6 volt GC batteries should be discharged down to around 20 percent and then charged back to full as this will sort of train the batteries and verify they are functioning properly. Is that true? My camper doesnt have anything to drain them down that much -the fridge has low voltage cutoff at 50% at its lowest setting and no way to deactivate that feature, so would 50% be adequate?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For sure, it a label/relabel.
Just wanted to toss it out there as they may say either, and even if they say Deka on them, they are in fact made by East Penn.

NMBruce

Adventurer
Great information, I want to hook up some batteries to my trailer. My problem is space.
I was thinking of getting a couple of 6 volt batteries, but the size is hard to fit where I want them.
I have room for some of the thin 20ah-35ah batteries, but I can set the smaller seal ones side by side on their side in a drawer.
trying to work it out, but what I get is to use 6 volt batteries if I can make them fit.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.....
All other things being equal, ............
A 6 volt battery is 3 x 2 volt batteries in series.
Two 6 volt batteries in series is 6 x 2 volt batteries in series. They will need a cable to join them.
A 12 V battery is 6 x 2 volt batteries in series. No cable required.
Chose your option based on weight to lift (if that is an issue) and price (if there is a difference).
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

michaelclark

A 6 Volt battery is usually used by a series circuit. In comparison, a 12 Volt battery is used for parallel circuits. 12 Volt Batteries are less expensive than 6 Volt Batteries: The primary benefit of utilizing a 12 Volt battery is that you only need one. As a result, using one 12 Volt battery instead of two or more 6 Volt batteries is usually less expensive.

NMBruce

Adventurer
Great information, I want to hook up some batteries to my trailer. My problem is space.
I was thinking of getting a couple of 6 volt batteries, but the size is hard to fit where I want them.
I have room for some of the thin 20ah-35ah batteries, but I can set the smaller seal ones side by side on their side in a drawer.
trying to work it out, but what I get is to use 6 volt batteries if I can make them fit.
I ended up going with a EcoFlow Portable power station and extra battery, it was on sale. 120 AH and 1440 WH. Also got a 160 watt solar panel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles