Valley of Fire, Nevada Quick Trip

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Took Friday off last week to take a quick trip down to the Valley of Fire in Nevada to get some hiking and camping in and quite frankly to escape the stress of work.

Atlati Rock

Petroglphys along the Mouse Tank trail

The petroglphys are a little harder to spot here.

The tank at the end of the trail

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Rainbow Vista trail - there is a little overlook at the end of the trail which I didn't find all that exciting.

Variety of color that the rocks show

From the Fire Canyon/Silica Dome stop. I loved who the color or the rock goes from white to red.

That was it for day one in the park - I basically hit up the minor stops off the two main roads in the afternoon.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Day 2

Prospect Trail - this trail is not marked or maintained and a sign posted at the trail states as such. From the trail head up till you drop into the wash is pretty well worn but after that it more or less disappears in the wash. There are a few PVC pipes with a yellow strip on top and a carbonite sign on two to let you know your going the right way. When you get to the end of the trail at White Dome keep note where you entered/exited at since I didn't see a sign marking the trail.

Trail is 10.2 miles round trip if you include the 1 mile White Domes loop.

Looking back at the campground area

Again with the rock color. When I passed this spot later in the day the colors weren't as pronounced due to the sun.

In the afternoon I headed out to one of the other non-marked/maintained trail, Pinnacles Loop (4.5 miles). Way finding on this trail was a little more difficult than Prospector as your follow a washes between two hills that loops around the north one and back out where you came. Along the back side there really aren't a whole lot of markers and a few are easily missed as they are low to the ground. Along the front side there are some green post with a carbonite trail sign on it but they are spaced out and kind of hidden my the brush, so it's a good test of your eyesight.

At the backside/north side of the hill.

The trail cuts up thought here

The trail is down below.

Coming back around. Can you spot the trail markers?

Hand shake any one.

Last stop of the day.

Night two ended with some time around the campfire.

A couple of things to note if you visit the Valley of Fire and plan to camp.
1. Campsites are first come first serve and fill up quickly. Get there early to get a site and don't spend 3 hours driving back and forth between the two campgrounds in the evening hoping to find a site.
2. You have to be off the trails at sunset and can't get on them till sunrise.
3. The main campground has showers and are a welcome relief after hiking around. Yes, they have hot water and need to be upgraded.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
A few photos from a quick side mountain biking trip to the Three Peaks Recreation area just west of Enoch, Utah. Second time biking the area and I continue to enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles