TrailNest Hammock Roof Rack MK11 100% markup

So I was on the waiting list for a TrailNest. It’s essentially a roof rack for a hammock. It’s been sold out for some time, with an original MSRP of 350.00 for the rack.

The idea of a hammock on the roof as opposed to a tent was nice and at that price it was attainable, while being cheaper that a full blown RTT

With that being said, I got the email tonight that said the Mark II was ready for preorder, it’s now priced at 700.00 (without a hammock or rainfly). The price more than doubled.

Is there any real value here? At this point a RTT is within reach, and a semi skilled fabricator would / could easy make a rack for substantially less.

I guess I can’t tell if this is exorbitant or will people really consider this at that price point? What are your opinions on this?

https://www.trailnest.com

XpoNoobie

Observer
A tad over priced. I think someone could make one if they had a welder. Check out the hammock forums for stand ideas and go from there. I made a stand out of 2x4s that looked like that.

B

BPD53

I guess I can’t tell if this is exorbitant or will people really consider this at that price point? What are your opinions on this?

https://www.trailnest.com

It is exorbitant. I looked at their product about a year ago and I thought $350 was too high.

I enjoy hammock camping and purchased a unit from McClean Metal Works. I paid just under $400 shipped to my door. Great product and great customer service. I thought $400 was too much at the time, but it's been worth it so far. I couldn't imagine $700 to sling a hammock ($400 was bad enough).

To be perfectly honest I think the idea of spending $700 to hammock camp on a truck roof is beyond ridiculous. Pitching a hammock on a roof is already ridiculous enough.

Good luck sir. I hope you are able to fabricate a solution that works. If you come up with something please post pics. I always like seeing new ideas when it comes to hammock camping.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hanging a hammock from PVC, in any configuration, much less that one, seems like a good way to start an expedition to the ER.

I wouldn't spend $700 for that, but I don't think it is outrageous.

Design, engineering, product liability insurance... All cost money...

Yeah I should be more clear, the PVC is to mock it up. On the hammock forums I see many using bamboo to make stands, so ultimately that will be the material of choice

Jeffer949

Observer
This is ridiculously high. Your all talking about welding... I don't see any welds. Its all bolted together. Some aluminum tubing, A chop saw and some nuts and bolts. Oh lets not forget the "Universal Mounting Exhaust Clamps" Sure they have a nifty hinge but still wouldn't pay that much

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Yeah, I wouldn't pay that but I can maybe see it with everything being so expensive these days.

I don't think there is any way those rod holders have the engineering needed to hold someone; and I don't think bamboo would work for this either. Those rod holders just look like they would snap at the bottom of the tube/arm connection. Not sure bamboo in a small enough diameter to fit in there would have the strength. Plus we are talking about trusting both of those pretty high up. I'd be maybe thinking about something with Hollaender fittings and aluminum pipe.

The other big problem on that rack is there is only 120 inch ridgeline. So in theory a 10' hammock but probably more like 9-6" after attachments. I can't see getting a good nights sleep in one that short. But if you are fab'ing your own maybe you can adjust for that.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
It's a cool idea (I like hammocks), but yeah...too much dough. I think he'd be better off fabbing a hammock rack that would work with mainline roof racks (Slimline, K9, etc.). Besides, climbing up into an RTT while drunk-ish is sketchy enough. That thing looks like you would need a breathalyzer before climbing the ladder. :)

jhop567

Besides, climbing up into an RTT while drunk-ish is sketchy enough. That thing looks like you would need a breathalyzer before climbing the ladder.

Oh no!! I just bought a RTT...does that mean I have to cut back on my drinking!!! Horrors!!!

McLean

Wow, that is a bit steep. It seemed like most of the vehicle mounted hammock products were around the same price point until that.

It doesnt attach to your roof, but I make a mount that goes in your receiver hitch that is quite a bit less expensive. Plus a bit less treacherous IMO...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles