Synthetic: Hook or Thimble?

hovenator

Explorer
Getting 80' of Dyneema synthetic winch line for my new winch. Should I go with an Excel hook or the safety thimble? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Soft shackle do work but are not a full on replacement for metal shackles. Best example are vehicles with shackle mounts. Everyone I have seen is designed for a metal shackle without lining and or sharp edges that would be in contact with soft shackle. You have to treat a soft shackle just like you would synthetic winch line. Soft shackles are great around round objects and hooks.

Go to Factor55 website and pick whatever strikes your fancy!
Shame they don't offer some type of quick change option. What sets them apart from others also hinders them. Seems like when you need the item the most is the nastiest and worst environment. Want to change out a Pro Link for a Flat Link requires removing a small snap ring and a pin. Imagine dropping that snap ring in sand, mud, or a stream. I still prefer them though. Pre-planning and choice of connecting options are key in getting the most use out of Factor55. Put yourself and your vehicle first and consider where you will spend the most time in the toughest spots. Don't consider yourself a super hero that is going to rescue everyone you see stuck. Don't put yourself and your vehicle in jeopardy. Two stranded vehicles multitudes worse than just one vehicle.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems like when you need the item the most is the nastiest and worst environment. Want to change out a Pro Link for a Flat Link requires removing a small snap ring and a pin. Imagine dropping that snap ring in sand, mud, or a stream.
I'm still running my old Gunenbo hook but have been thinking about jumping ship. So I'm curious, why would you switch between these in the field? I'm not sure what the functional difference is between these two, they both seem to do the same task of connecting a bow shackle to a winch line. To my untrained eye the difference is how they sit against the fairlead. I could see wanting to remove a link for a hook, though.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You want the big yellow hook. Not contraptions with pins that roll down the hill while your tittering on a hill at night in the rain. You may have a death grip on the break pedal and need to rely on an inexperianced bystander. The other reason you want a big yellow hook is so you can snap it right on the end of the strap that your buddy tossed you as the creek is about to sweep his Nisan, kids and dog down the stream. A Safty thimble is an unsafe piece of bling that you want no part of when you need the winch "Right Now!" Rollover and fire. Roll over and trapped body part. You want a hook that a kid can throw it around a B pillar and snap it too itself or to a tow point very easily. Save the stuff in a recovery kit for when you have time to play or have no other option.

hovenator

Explorer
Great info! I have found 3/8 X 80 Viking synthetic with the "big yellow hook" for $259. I think I'm going to go this route. I can always switch to a Factor 55 or Safety Thimble II if I feel I need it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Shame they don't offer some type of quick change option. What sets them apart from others also hinders them. Seems like when you need the item the most is the nastiest and worst environment. Want to change out a Pro Link for a Flat Link requires removing a small snap ring and a pin. Imagine dropping that snap ring in sand, mud, or a stream. I still prefer them though. Pre-planning and choice of connecting options are key in getting the most use out of Factor55. Put yourself and your vehicle first and consider where you will spend the most time in the toughest spots. Don't consider yourself a super hero that is going to rescue everyone you see stuck. Don't put yourself and your vehicle in jeopardy. Two stranded vehicles multitudes worse than just one vehicle.

Why would you need anything different? The Flatlink Expert like I run can interface with either side of a standard shackle (pin or radius), its radiused enough to safely accommodate the use of a soft shackle, and it works with a standard tow-hook like those found on Jeeps or even the standard hook on a winch line.

They also offer the UltraHook for those that still demand a traditional hook, but like the option for a closed shackle pin mount as well.

Westy

Adventurer
A good quality rated hook is very simple and utilitarian - perfectly safe and makes for efficient winch use. Factor55 makes great stuff and the principal behind their designs is certainly something to consider. Neither option is right or wrong, pick what fits your use and budget accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles