5-7 days in the back country of Death Valley....

thefishhawk

Adventurer
I think dinners get pretty easy if you are going to have some kind of fire to cook over with a stick. Hot dogs, brats, burger, throw that with some sides from the cooler premade like potato salad or a bag of salad, beans, all set. one paper plate, a fork, nothing to clean up. plus kids love to cook over fire. and it's something that takes awhile and is a good bonding type time killer in the evening.

I prefer oatmeal and stuff in the morning just because it's easy, but yeah egg beaters or the like work great. omelets in a bag are easy with no cleanup. maybe bacon strip pancakes one day for something different when you have more time. precooked bacon makes a lot less mess but of course isn't the best. then there's always cereal... it's only as complicated as you make it :)

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
So would you say 10lbs per 3 nights of "low to normal" use? I don't think I can swing the space in the Jeep for that much propane :( I'm assuming that none of the gas stations inside the park sell propane? I'm going to have to fill the Jeep up on the second day in Panamint Springs anyways.
I say yes......
I end up bringing a second tank. but that's just cause I like to stay up late with a campfire going....

K2ZJ

Explorer

Etoimos

Observer
With your dad in the annex, and having to take it up and down, you should read this thread.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/174919-Leaving-annex-attached-while-folding-up-tent

I am definitely adding the track to mine to keep the annex attached for travel.

Thanks for the link. I've seen a video of someone leaving theirs on, but I've not managed (or tried much really) to get mine folded up with everything still in/on it. I'll have to really give a shot as it would make things way easier on this trip as you mentioned. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

dman93

Adventurer
Sounds like a great journey! I know you’re mostly asking about gear and supplies here, but DV is different than many places with regard to weather and topography and distances. Since elevations range from below sea level to over 11000 feet in the park, you have to be prepared in March, for anything from deep snow to 100+ temps, maybe even flash floods though I think that’s more common in summer and fall. Also, evening (or even all day) winds can be really bad; one time our Tepui almost folded up with two of us inside it, and another time a gust blew my motorcycle helmet off the picnic table and 100 feet through Stovepipe Wells campground. The flip side is that for those same reasons, it’s easy to move and get completely different (better hopefully!) conditions. In the back country it’s easy to go 200 miles with no access to fuel or supplies, including water, so plan accordingly. If you want/need a developed campground I like Mesquite Spring (water, but no store) which is at 1800’, a good compromise. Another convenient dispersed camping location that I’ve found nearly deserted is up the dirt road that goes north, just east of the Hwy 190/Panamint Valley Rd intersection. You can camp legally starting 1 mile north of the highway, and there’s an old mine at the end, the Panamint Dunes, and awesome views. It’s not too far from Panamint Springs Resort for supplies. Also, China Garden Springs just outside the park near Darwin is a gem for camping; we had it to ourselves one March. Have fun!!

TwinStick

Explorer
Camping means a LOT of different things to different people. Some people don't eat breakfast & just have coffee. Some make up breakfast the night before. Some people pack up dirty dishes, etc.. etc... . Do what you two are comfortable doing & don't worry about the rest. Some people are in so much of a hurry, they can't see the forest through the trees. Obviously, "that guys" philosophy was "less is more". What ever works for you. Enjoy the time you have.

Etoimos

Observer
Thanks for all the input guys. Things have started to come together pretty well for this trip. I've managed to source an off road trailer and another RTT. Those two things are making things much easier as I can now carry more water, fuel and other supplies. I'll also be able to bring one of the propane campfire setups, so that means I'm able to be a lot more flexible on were we make camp each night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles