Short battery life. Kirkland battery quality or system?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Alternator has been main charge source.

Plugged in overnight 362+ days a year.

No solar... yet.

Batteries all matched. 2 banks of 2 matched batteries... each bank replaced at the same time.

Guess charger is designed for 3 separate banks.

Previously they were isolated 100% of the time by the Vanier Diode isolator. Now the ACR parallels them when the sustained voltage remains over 12.85 V.

Batteries are within 5' of each other... when parked they'll be the same temperature. Running, the starting battery under the hood will be warmer.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
No fancy gauges... only a voltmeter and an ammeter (+/- 200A Range). A $350 gauge isn't in the budget. If I had a pile of cash to spare, I'd rather spend it on solar and a charge controller.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
No fancy gauges... only a voltmeter and an ammeter (+/- 200A Range). A $350 gauge isn't in the budget. If I had a pile of cash to spare, I'd rather spend it on solar and a charge controller.

The one I list is 18$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal Tom

Explorer
How long has the acr been In the system? I lost several batteries using those diode isolator. I usually use a constant duty. Solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
OK so you have the tools, now use them. Assuming you've bought a new decent deep cycling bank, and got the detailed charging specs from the vendor.

Never trust your charge sources to know when the bank is Full.

Make sure yourself it gets there at least 3x per week when cycling.

Most alternator/VR don't handle charging deep cycling batts well, especially modern fuel efficient vehicles. Check everything during the charge cycle with your instrument

When stored, make sure they get to Full at the start, and check Float is correct.

Do not let the charge source drop voltage to Float until the bank is Full.

Definition of Full, as per trailing Amps, if not specified by mfg: hold Absorb voltage until current has fallen to .005C (2A for a 400AH bank), or no change for a full hour.

Usually takes another 3-4 hours after voltage has transitioned from CC/Bulk to CV/Absorb, maybe 80-85% SoC.

When away from shore power, it's not worth burning dino juice for that "long tail" at tiny amps, which is why at least a bit of solar is critical for bank longevity.

A cheap AH-counting meter, not a real BM for SoC, say $30-40, will help get a handle on making sure you draw down less than you put in each day.

If any of the above is unclear to you or you need more details, keep searching or asking until you feel solid about it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've picked up a 3 stage charger. By its readings, it looks like batteries were never getting to 100% and were floating to too low a level. Once at 100% I'll check where the float voltage is... the Guest charger may be done.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I've picked up a 3 stage charger. By its readings, it looks like batteries were never getting to 100% and were floating to too low a level. Once at 100% I'll check where the float voltage is... the Guest charger may be done.

That would make sense.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
That would make sense.

The 3 stage Floated the batteries at 13.1 V once they are at 100%. Switching to the Guest charger it continued at 13.1 V. I'm thinking I'll use the 3 stage to regularly charge the house batteries to 100% and the Guest charger mostly as a converter/charger to keep them fully charged while in the driveway.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
The 3 stage Floated the batteries at 13.1 V once they are at 100%. Switching to the Guest charger it continued at 13.1 V. I'm thinking I'll use the 3 stage to regularly charge the house batteries to 100% and the Guest charger mostly as a converter/charger to keep them fully charged while in the driveway.

I would reach out to the guest mfg. it may be defective

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Its too old... Guest won't care. I'll do some testing to explore it more... it's low tech.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
you are probably right, but it doesn't cost much to send an email or make a phone call. you might be surprised.

True, but unless they want it for their museum... it's likely 30 years old. When I called them previously, they didn't have any information on it... not even specs of a manual. Online I've only seen the model mentioned once or twice. It's a 40 amp Guest 2540a. What it does will is power all the overhead lights while plugged into shore power.

IMG_6887.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94