Anyone heard of Acela Trucks before?

Does anyone know what a reasonable cruising speed is for these trucks with the "74mph" gearing? Can you pin it at 74mph if you don't care about mileage?

74 mph for the upgeared FMTVs is way up at 2750 rpm, over the peak hp rpm which is 2400. A more reasonable cruising speed for a FMTV with 6.14s is 60mph.

diverdarrell

Since I have an M1078 with the highspeed gears and a locker in the rear, I’ll chime in with some thoughts. A Detroit style locker in the front would be a bad idea. It would lock up too often when you didn’t want it to, which is a bad thing in the front. As far as needing a different transfer case for lower gearing, I haven’t found it necessary. I’ve found it’s still geared low enough for what an rv should do. Also I don’t think I want to wheel an rv and try to keep up with the jeeps. If you want to, you had better have deep pockets. Also the fmtv cabs don’t fair so well in roll overs or head on’s. On the engine choice the 3116 doesn’t have huei, is simple and can be turned up to 300hp with a different turbo. The 6x6’s already are turned up. Also the 3116’s don’t have all the emissions stuff. I love my truck, but it’s like a boat, ha!! (Bring Out Another Thousnad). My best advice is if you get one, do all the work on it yourself as you will learn valuable skills and see what tools are essential to carry with you. And have a baseline knowledge to fix in the field. Highspeed gears make cruising at 60 drivable. Past 60 and things get a bit lively. But passing a military convoy at 70 and seeing the look on the commanders face when you pass is priceless. Also only the Goodyear tires are rated past 55. One great thing about the A1 trucks is the exhaust brake! I’m in the process of collecting parts to weld one on mine.

Getrdun007

Yes I recently just purchased a Monterra 6X6 and i pick it up in less than 120 days once all the amenities upfitting is completed.This is an extremely high quality vested company with employees that are all very well educated in all parameters of these Stewart Stevens Military trucks.Acela’s facilitates were immaculate and the fact of available trucks to demo was very favorable to allow the customer to tangibly grasp whats to their desire.I have contracted with XP Campers in Grass Valley California to custom build a state of the art demo 20’ habitat living cube that Mark Wasserman is going to outfit with every available upscale amenity that the overland world has to offer it’s clientel.Mark factory/shop was bar none the cleanest and proficient facilities we have ever witnessed.This is the Patriot Minuteman project build thats being made possible by Dave & Ross @ Acela Trucks & Mark Wasserman of XPCampers.I researched many companys and overland outfits that just don’t compare in quality,craftsmanship and excellence in customer satisfaction bar none.The cab overs can be retrofitted with reinforced aesthetic bumper push bars that will protect the cab and its occupants from a frontal collision which Max @ PullPal will be contracted to build a stout custom aesthetic project design.I will be posting media videos on complete refurbishing and progress of entire build out on Instagram site;Getrdun007

Coachgeo

Explorer
IMHO and when evaluating loosely the gear ratios there is absolutely no need to switch transfer case to one with Hi-low unless overall ratio at top gear in High will drop the engine rpm while cruising. Otherwise the spread of gear ratios is not much different between the two types. In long run it looks like you won't gain anything but you will lose in the pocket.

BTW.... there are very similar axles sold to commercial heavy market .. but rarely...... their is various ratios available for them and they may well fit these axles. That is being investigated. Might be few more years.... but the potential may be there.

Getrdun007

Do you have a sense of final cost of total build?
Each and every overland expedition vehicle is unique and customized to an individuals preferences,the custom design cube is on the drafting board as we speak and it’s going to be close to a year before it’s finalized and the damage report will be compiled at that point because it is to be a one off demo which we will be adding more amenities to the build as we design and upfit to create a new generation of these off grid utilitarian pleasure vehicles.

Getrdun007

Did you look at the bliss mobile 20’ box? Or the GXV? Those folks already make 20’ built out boxes?
Yes i did research them @ the 2018 OE in Sedona Arizona,Global X was not to my personal satisfaction as well as Bliss,both very qualified and exuberantly over priced for end product.Both Acela Trucks/FMTV Trucks and XPCampers/Cube are by far both unparalleled by comparison in quality,craftsmanship,quality in customer relations/satisfaction,these two companies are a true innovative cut above and beyond the market competition in the overlaner expedition world.Bliss is very exspensive in European Union costs of over seas,GlobalX was not conducive in customer relations with me in a positive manner,too big to give me the time of day was how i was treated by the proprietors‼️My money is just as good as anyone else’s.When i finally met Acela and XPCampers folks they both gave me undivided attention and went well beyond professionalism and courtesy to educate me and enlighten me on their high caliber overland products that they take as a serious passion and well intened convictions of the cliental.I was sold on these two because of their true labor of love in what they produce to make the customer a happy camper(overlander)????

Getrdun007

I believe they are the future of the overlander industry in a whole new revolutionary generation of utilitarian pleasure Expedition vehicles to be tried true and proven just like Acela building high grade military trucks to out perform the competitions running gear,Mark from XPCampers is German and has all the inherent traits of ingenuity on the conceptual German engineering mindset and see’s thoughts in his head in 3D so as to design those ideas into the utmost perfection in his finishing touches of each build.I researched so much on overland companys and was very discouraged at one point until i stumbled upon these two new famdamily members??And thats how they roll✔️They treated me like FAMILY➰

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
No first hand experience with the trucks, but I do know David Ronsen who owns Acela. He is a good guy and VERY knowledgable about the conversions he is doing.

In my limited experience, David has been very professional, fantastic service. Discuss more with friends Seth and Kande from AdventureDriven in the above post.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I believe they are the future of the overlander industry in a whole new revolutionary generation of utilitarian pleasure Expedition vehicles to be tried true and proven just like Acela building high grade military trucks to out perform the competitions running gear,Mark from XPCampers is German and has all the inherent traits of ingenuity on the conceptual German engineering mindset and see’s thoughts in his head in 3D so as to design those ideas into the utmost perfection in his finishing touches of each build.I researched so much on overland companys and was very discouraged at one point until i stumbled upon these two new famdamily members??And thats how they roll✔️They treated me like FAMILY➰

Good to hear from XP, hopefully they've improved their craftsmanship from loooong ago.

Mamba2020

Hello All, just wanted to add my 2 cents. After many months of visiting different shops and trying to figure out what rig would be best for us to travel as much of the world as possible, the choice became pretty clear....you either buy a gasoline truck or an Acela LMTV that literally can burn any type of diesel fuel. This bodes well when cruising through countries that may not have LSD/ULSD! Further, Acela rebuilds these truck to brand new condition with may of the modern day comforts that is essential to long hours on the road...sure you can buy one at auction for a cheap price but most can never put the amount of time, quality and effort to make it a true global expedition truck. What sold us was the fact the air compressor system can keep the tires inflated with an approximately 1/4" hole in a tire!, also the fact the engine is a super simple design, and most importantly, Ross at Acela is great to work with...I feel our truck will be built like its his own.

Now for the camper build. We visited several shops: Sportsmobile, Earthcruiser, Overland Expo, and XP Camper, as well as months of research with different online companies. Our ultimate decision was XP Camper because of the personal attention that Marc provides to each build. His shop is still small enough to pay attention to the day to day operations where your camper will not be on an assembly line. Also if you have ever seen the type of aluminum boxes/bumpers etc that Marc builds you will be sold on his craftsmanship. I'm currently working with a 15' Cube design to be mounted on the Acela 4X4 chassis.

I know that Getrdun007 is building a 6x6 Acela with an XP Cube, so I/we/Marc all look forward to showcasing these 2 great builds at an upcoming overland event.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Hello All, just wanted to add my 2 cents. ....you either buy a gasoline truck or an Acela LMTV that literally can burn any type of diesel fuel. This bodes well when cruising through countries that may not have LSD/ULSD! Further, ....t.
lot of truth.... and a myth.. no you can not burn just about anything in an LMTV. If someone specifically told you this.... they sold you a fart on that comment caust that is all that truth is worth. It's a commercial CAT engine tuned to military's desire... nothing special about it and in no way capable of multi fuel. CAT even limits its Biodiesel for engines of that era. I bet even Acela will void their warranty with you if you run anything but over the counter diesel. Especialy if they rebuilt/renewed the engine.

Not saying you can't do it (I'd do nothing more than blends) but you run risk. I will probably AFTER I add cyclonic oil filter, water inject and/or HHO and/ or LP inject (Primarily to clean out coke occasionally when have used a blended fuel)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles