Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone heard of Acela Trucks before?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozrockrat View Post
    Definitely the C7 over the 3126 but without any emissions stuff if you can legally do so where you live.

But I am with Joaquin on making it a Cummins. ISX, ISL or ISM with a 3060 Allison and a real transfer case (T600 axletech or if you need to have an overdrive the 1138 Rockwell). The engine gearbox combinations are easily sourced from wrecked motor homes with very low mileage. The axletech transfer cases are available new for much less than the Marrmon Herrington units.

Just as a reference point. I have medium duty trucks that have C7 Cat, Mercedes 926 and had one with a 5.9 Cummins. The 5.9 Cummins was the best performing and most due efficient of the 3. But I don’t think the 5.9 would be enough for a 1088.

Also we had a 1078 which was under powered, under geared and useless in even slick grass without lockers and a real transfer case. Since the CTIS didn’t work it would even get stuck in sand that our Toyota Highlander could get through (and it’s 2wd).

So even if you do nothing else make sure the 1st 2 improvements are lockers and regearing.
    Got it, will make those two things priority.
    Im really gonna try for the Cummins ISB 6.7. Had one of those on a smaller dump truck at my dad's farm and we never had any issues 325K on the clock. But if for some reason i cant go that route, C7 it is. I know a really good CAT mechanic that gave me alot of info on what to do to make them reliable and efficient (software upgrade)

Alcea has locker options for all 3 axles but recomended to not put one on the "lazy" axle, its an overkill and their opinion.
    http://www.acelatruck.com/trucks/monterra-6x6

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    Also the Steyr 12M18s that are similarly redone form late 80s/early 90s and therefore USA legal done by www.excap.de are worth looking into. No electronics, 9spd synchro ZF gearbox, 2 spd TC, lockers at both ends and geared to run 100-125 kph depending on tire size, without regearing. Up to 300hp with new intercooler that they can install. But when I wrote him a couple of months ago he was booked thru 2020.
    And 4x4, no 6x6.
    Thats what i really wanted but when I contacted them last month, i was told the same thing. Pricewise is about the same as the one im currently looking at so thats why i decided to look elsewhere. Imo the Steyr is a much simpler design and super reliable from ppl that have own them. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Joaquin Suave View Post
    No! You just don't have any experience with "big girl" 4x4's (or a better way to put it might be big $x$'s)! Charlie, Beven, and I have and I am trying to explain to you what I have learned from EXPERIENCE! If you don't care to listen... "no skin off my pagoda"!
    Yeah not a whole lot with big trucks off road, Just reg 4x4 SUV's. Thanks for the advice dude, will deff keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Nomad_Travels; 02-19-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad_Travels View Post
    Alcea has locker options for all 3 axles but recomended to not put one on the "lazy" axle, its an overkill and their opinion.
    http://www.acelatruck.com/trucks/monterra-6x6
    I am not an expert on 6x6 big trucks (my big truck is a 4x4) but with all due respect I would recommend putting NoSpins (Detroits) in BOTH rear axles (you are going to have them go into the diffs anyways to change gearing); as Joaquin pointed out getting stuck is highly undesirable in a big truck. And make sure the CTIS works perfectly. My last "stuck" in the Ukraine required 1) low range 2) both ends locked and 3) tires deflated with CTIS. No winch action fortunately.
    It MIGHT be overkill to put a Detroit in the front diff but if I were in your market I'd want to drive one with a front locker to see if it affects the handling and if it doesn't affect it much I'd think about it. I HATE being stuck!
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Acela and David are great to work with. Certainly know their stuff.
    http://totalcomposites.com/ your supplier for European designed fiberglass sandwich panels and accessories.
    https://www.facebook.com/totalcompos...homepage_panel

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    I am not an expert on 6x6 big trucks (my big truck is a 4x4) but with all due respect I would recommend putting NoSpins (Detroits) in BOTH rear axles (you are going to have them go into the diffs anyways to change gearing); as Joaquin pointed out getting stuck is highly undesirable in a big truck. And make sure the CTIS works perfectly. My last "stuck" in the Ukraine required 1) low range 2) both ends locked and 3) tires deflated with CTIS. No winch action fortunately.
    It MIGHT be overkill to put a Detroit in the front diff but if I were in your market I'd want to drive one with a front locker to see if it affects the handling and if it doesn't affect it much I'd think about it. I HATE being stuck!
    I hear ya. My goal is to have lockers on all axles, 2sp TC, and Front/Rear winches just in case. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
    Acela and David are great to work with. Certainly know their stuff.
    Good to know. Hope to pull the trigger once I get stateside. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12