Chip for 5.2l Isuzu nps 300

Cuddy

Observer
Hi, have looked at a few old posts but couldn’t find the info I wanted.
Can anyone offer there opinions of the performance of there truck after fitting a chip. I am looking at fitting a steinbauer chip to my nps. Fully loaded and towing I am about 9.2 tonne gcm. Also With kyms 37 inch tyres I have definitely lost some power. I am also using around 30 l/100km in fuel.
Hoping the chip will just give me a bit extra to hold gears longer on rises, maybe that way I can ease of the right foot a little and save a bit of fuel ?
I am aware I could get a tune on the truck that will be cheaper, but I’m not confident to let anyone play around with the engine settings. Would prefer to keep the settings as is and be able to turn off the chip if I am having problems ie engine codes coming up.
Any info is appreciated
Cheers- Brent

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have a Steinbauer in my FG84 and it definitely does make a noticeable difference, but if I had my time again I would have the ECU remapped. Sadly, a remap was not really an option when I fitted my unit, but it is now. You also have the ability to disable certain functionality, like EGRs and DPFs with a remap, which can help with engine longevity and fuel economy. Have I mentioned... EGRs really suck!
Having a device after the ECU negates the majority of safety features built into the ECU programming, so... in reality it is not as good an option.
Yes, I also thought that having the ability to turn off the Steinbauer would be beneficial, but I cannot remember the last time that I did turn it off. Basically... good in theory but not something you often do.

Your truck and your decision, but my personal opinion is that a remap is a better option.
(also... you can always reflash the original map, should you need to)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I did not know that a NPS 300 could have a GVM of 9200kg. Are you sure that's not the GCM (Gross Combined Mass ** Truck + Trailer)?

Cuddy

Observer
I have a Steinbauer in my FG84 and it definitely does make a noticeable difference, but if I had my time again I would have the ECU remapped. Sadly, a remap was not really an option when I fitted my unit, but it is now. You also have the ability to disable certain functionality, like EGRs and DPFs with a remap, which can help with engine longevity and fuel economy. Have I mentioned... EGRs really suck!
Having a device after the ECU negates the majority of safety features built into the ECU programming, so... in reality it is not as good an option.
Yes, I also thought that having the ability to turn off the Steinbauer would be beneficial, but I cannot remember the last time that I did turn it off. Basically... good in theory but not something you often do.

Your truck and your decision, but my personal opinion is that a remap is a better option.
(also... you can always reflash the original map, should you need to)

Yes I have already removed dpf and egr.
My concern with a flash tune is that you are really putting a lot of trust into the guy doing the tune. As I’m sure you know no one seems to have a dyno to fit our trucks so it’s all a bit of a trial and error on the tuners part.( could be very time consuming)
They could easily push things too far to keep the customer happy with the initial performance gains but then be pushing the boundaries of engine longevity.
I figure if I do have any engine issues the first thing any mechanic will point to will be the chip. So if I only need to turn it on and off once in a blue moon it will be worth it.
Thanks for the reply , good info to take on board

Amesz00

Adventurer
If you really don't want a remap I'd put my vote towards a unichip. Can do almost all the things a remap can, and I'm pretty sure the Q4 model has a dash switch.

Cuddy

Observer
If you really don't want a remap I'd put my vote towards a unichip. Can do almost all the things a remap can, and I'm pretty sure the Q4 model has a dash switch.

The uni chip looks quiet impressive, do you have one in your truck or have you had the tune?

Amesz00

Adventurer
I was going to, then ended up going with a remap. Was a coin toss though. However you'll still need to find a tuner you trust to set it up. Find a reputable diesel performance shop and it shouldn't be an issue.

Cuddy

Observer
Went with the steinbauer, haven’t driven to far but initially seems heaps better, can hold 5 th gear on rises. On the way to Tasmania so will c how it goes down there. Happy with the decision after talking with the guy who did the install, also does tuning but without dyno he was not confident, would have been a generic tune that he had on computer, hopefully steinbauer have done there homework?
Yes, a pyro is on my list, i will be able to look at temps with chip switched off compared to with chip on, which will be interesting
Will post up some feedback on fuel consumption and performance after a bit more driving- may help others make the decision on what way to go in the future.
Brent

IcedVolvo

Observer
Hmm tried Steinbauer and then did the retune: no comparison! Tune makes a completely different truck, no dpf, do burns, cleaner more efficient engine with 2x the torque low down and 20-30% better fuel!

As to the effect it might have on engine not worried about that, the same engine is used to produce much more power in the 500 series but I take it easy in the gearbox and drive train; in other words use the throttle gently!

PS Steinbauer for sale cheap!

Karl of Oz

Observer
I just removed my DP Chip and got my 3 LITRE Fuso re-mapped by Diesel Tune Australia at Mascot. It is much smoother, far better power and torque across the whole range and really transformed it. The guy I dealt with seems to really know his stuff and is in big demand. He gave me about 80-90% "tune" of what he would do as a maximum which is still a "safe tune" even if he gave me 100%. I'm very impressed and it was cheaper than the chip.
Oh and fuel rail pressure was reduced to just a few % compared with what the chip had.
I wish I had done this before going down the road of fitting a chip.
Really happy, ditch the chip!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I wish I had done this before going down the road of fitting a chip.

Sadly, the remapping option has only really been available for about a year or so (reliably).
Trust me when I say that I definitely looked for someone that would/could remap my ECU at the time, but could not find anyone that had successfully done it. I should add... some said they would give it a go, but could not guarantee anything.
If I were going down the same route now I would do things differently, but that's the thing about hindsight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles