Changed battery, now my alarm/horn/flashers go off at random

dirtysouth

Adventurer
So I changed my battery in my 2005 Frontier after the old one was starting to get hard to start, and no sooner than I hook up the new battery, the horn and flashers start going off. I disconnected the horn for the time being, but of course my flasher still go off at random and my doors will lock at random as well. Has anyone else run into this problem? Battery was hooked up properly.

theksmith

Explorer
i've seen that happen in various vehicles due to a low battery - so i'm guessing you have a loose wire or poor (corroded) connection somewhere near the battery that got bumped while changing it out. maybe double check all your wiring/connections in that area.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Keep the fob in your hand, put the battery cable on, alarm goes off. Press the unlock button.
Very common for alarms to go off when a new battery is hooked up. Many makes and models will do this. Often they will also lock the doors on you as well. Very common for someone to get locked out of the car as the keys are in the ignition as they hook the battery up. Security freaks out, locks doors and sets off the alarm. Now you are double screwed being locked out. I've changed enough batteries and seen this happen so often I don't think twice about it anymore. Just think long enough to make sure the key is outside the vehicle when the battery is hooked up.

jhberria

Adventurer
Sounds like a poltergeist issue. Good old fashioned haunting. Consider a focused exorcism, or swapping the battery out for one that wasn't recovered from an ancient Native burial ground.

uriedog

metal melter
Sometimes a dead or disconnected battery will cause the security system to request an engine light , some cars will even lock out the ignition. Clear any codes that show up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles