99 suburban advice

cheepsk8

Observer
So I'm looking at buying a '99 suburban 1500. It's got about225k miles on it. The old girl is rust free. The interior is in good shape. A few trim pieces are missing but, the seats and carpet is all good. It shifts good and the 4x4 works good. I can hear what sounds like worn front drive shaft u joints when turning in fwd on snow. Allegedly the fuel pump has been replaced and it looks like newer spark plugs in it. However, it feels like it's surging at higher rpm and it doesn't quite feel like it has all of the power it should have at interstate speeds.

What are your thoughts? I'm seriously thinking about picking it up Thursday. It's $2500. Even if the motor is shot, I've located another for $500.

Tia

rayra

Expedition Leader
It ought to be, but plan for a fuel injector spider update / replacement.

expect intake gasket vacuum leaks, but that should be taken care of when the fuel injector is fixed.

Also, lack of top end, look for something really simple like a lot of slack in the throttle cable. There's an adjustment screw at the end of the cable at the throttle plate. Nobody ever adjusts them to take the slack out. Which means you can't get to wide-open throttle.

cheepsk8

Observer
It ought to be, but plan for a fuel injector spider update / replacement.

expect intake gasket vacuum leaks, but that should be taken care of when the fuel injector is fixed.

Also, lack of top end, look for something really simple like a lot of slack in the throttle cable. There's an adjustment screw at the end of the cable at the throttle plate. Nobody ever adjusts them to take the slack out. Which means you can't get to wide-open throttle.

Now that you mention about the throttle adjustment, it did have some ill fitting floor mats! Hhhmmmm.

rayra

Expedition Leader
hell I thought it was TBI thru 99, but I'm tired. Even lamer, I've got the Hanes book sitting right here on my desk and it plainly says '99-'06 on it. Doh.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
i have a 99 burb with over 350k on it. i did replace the engine at about 320k. my only head aches with it have been the fuel pump sending unit whatever they're calling this year. if you gas gauge starts acting up , do yourself a favor and replace it. they seem to not last as long as it should. but secondly, taillights. the rear lights have this circuit board that tends to be a pain. i did have to change the motor it was running fine but i felt it was time. also if you find the passenger side front floor board getting wet, there is a small tube on the engine compartment fire wall in line with the glove box area. it the drain for the ac condensation. if the tube is not there the air flow under the hood while driving will cause it to not drain and back up into the passenger compartment. is you motor the 5.7 or 5.3? mine is the 5.7. it seems to have all the power i would ever need.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
So I'm looking at buying a '99 suburban 1500. It's got about225k miles on it. The old girl is rust free. The interior is in good shape. A few trim pieces are missing but, the seats and carpet is all good. It shifts good and the 4x4 works good. I can hear what sounds like worn front drive shaft u joints when turning in fwd on snow. Allegedly the fuel pump has been replaced and it looks like newer spark plugs in it. However, it feels like it's surging at higher rpm and it doesn't quite feel like it has all of the power it should have at interstate speeds.

What are your thoughts? I'm seriously thinking about picking it up Thursday. It's $2500. Even if the motor is shot, I've located another for $500.

Tia

One easy thing to do is get a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner and use it according to directions, or find a good MAF sensor and try it, if that helps then buy a new one, they aren't cheap but they make a HUGE difference in driveability, if that doesn't change anything then a good going over will help, all the normal stuff like cap, rotor, wires, vacuum etc..!
my '99 1/2 ton burb has 260,000+ on the original drivetrain and still runs great, I upgraded to a '99 3/4 ton and gave the 1/2 ton to a family down the street and they drive the tires off it and it still runs great so do a little work to this one and it should last you for many more miles.

cheepsk8

Observer
Okay, so the motor I found won't work. Another issue I just recalled is the air intake where it mounts to the throttle body. There should be some sort of clamp I'm guessing. Whatever is supposed to be there is not as it's zip tied into place. I'm sure this could cause a vacuum leak.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Okay, so the motor I found won't work. Another issue I just recalled is the air intake where it mounts to the throttle body. There should be some sort of clamp I'm guessing. Whatever is supposed to be there is not as it's zip tied into place. I'm sure this could cause a vacuum leak.

Absolutely could be a vacuum leak, the intake tube is mounted to the throttle body by a long stud and a wing nut, might have to hit a junk yard to find the replacement.

cheepsk8

Observer
Absolutely could be a vacuum leak, the intake tube is mounted to the throttle body by a long stud and a wing nut, might have to hit a junk yard to find the replacement.

Well I just went on line and did a search on the installation of the air intake. The plastic wing nut is there just a zip tie added. Makes me wonder if the factory piece is warped and this was an attempted bandaid. I don't have a pic handy so you'll have to use your imagination. A zip tie comes under the wing nut, over the elbow and attaches to a bracket in front of it.

cheepsk8

Observer
So I've been looking a little at replacement intake gasket sets. Is the gasket issue only on the oem stuff? Is there a better aftermarket one?

cheepsk8

Observer
Thanks NevadaLover. Unfortunately is snowing and blowing here and the interstate is closed. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94