List of essential parts for long haul trips

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Im poked around and decided to post...

Planning a fairly long haul trip with a 2015 Chev Colorado z71 v6. In general parts will not be available along the route without major headaches.

So, Im planning on carrying a decent selection of items with me.

out of this list, what would you put emphasis upon, and did I skip anything that...well...I shouldnt have?

OIL FILTER - SPARK PLUGS - FUEL FILTERS - AIR FILTER - HOSES - BELTS - WHEEL BEARINGS - FUEL PUMP - WATER PUMP - OIL PUMP - ALTERNATOR - O2 SENSOR(S) - THERMOSTAT - MAF- OIL LINES - AXLE SEALS - INNER/OUTER TIE ROD

cheepsk8

Observer
where are you planning on going? Seems like a lot of stuff to carry for a vehicle that's probably still under warranty.

where are you planning on going? Seems like a lot of stuff to carry for a vehicle that's probably still under warranty.

I second this. You've got a pretty new truck, I can't imagine you needing belts or hoses, pumps, o2 sensors, seals. The only things I'd say you'd need would be, jack, tool kit, oil filter, full size spare and extra fluid, coolant, oil, maybe inner and outer tie rods if you're going to do some real heavy off-roading that could potentially bend them.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
The milage has blown the factory and extended warranties out of the water. January of 2019 sees it being shipped to Cape Town South Africa and it won't be back to the US for at least a year.

BobsCreek

Adventurer

To be fair I don't off hand recall what the extended gave me, but it won't be doing much good if I'm replacing parts in Binga Zimbabwe

kpredator

Adventurer
Congratulations on having a dream and
Going for it

Most of my African breakdowns
Have been tires tires tires

Good luck with your trip
Kp

rayra

Expedition Leader
stop leak kits for all the things. Radiator hose patch kit. Radiator leak kit. Tire plug kit. etc, etc, etc...

al_burpe

Observer
My experience living in Africa is that you would be better off saving the money for shipping and putting it towards a local vehicle that there are plenty of. Then you don't have to worry about the stress of not knowing if packed all the right spares or not. It would also alleviate the hassle of hauling all of that stuff around with you every where you go. Inevitably, the thing that does break will be something you didn't anticipate. Also, the advantage of getting a vehicle when you get there is having the steering wheel on the correct side. Anyway, if you are dead set on shipping your Colorado there and back, more power to you. One thing to think about even if there is a low chance of failure is make sure your wipers are set. One of the most inconvenient malfunctions I had was the wiper motor going out on my Prado. The Toyota dealership didn't even have a replacement, but fortunately it was a common enough vehicle that I was able to get replacement part off of a wrecked one.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I had considered it, I've watched Gumtree and a few other places, my favorite is to buy a used Bushlore rental Land cruiser.

Seems that the budget options are around $15,000 USD while the better ones are, well, a good bit more with a Bushlore running 150,000 k on it going for close to $30,000

Shipping, Carnet and so forth get me on the road for $5,000 or so.

I will be flying back to the US every few months and I will be having friends who are flying out, so as long as the part I need isn't a fatal, it can show up in month or so.

rayra

Expedition Leader
oh and the most important thing, 'preventative' maintenance BEFORE the trip. Get things in tip-top shape before you go. Put new belts and hoses in and save the retired ones as spares. Freshen up what you can, especially any pumps or batteries that are long in the tooth. Chenge them out now and get enough miles on the new parts to validate them before the vehicle is uncrated on the other side of the world.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
what do you think, rebuild kits instead of hauling the actual parts? I kind of like the price and space saving.. downside is maybe having to tr to do a rebuild in a less than...good area to do so.

oh yes. "Preventative" is very important :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles