Rtt on a Crew cab roof

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Not sure if I should be posting here or in the vehicle specific section... Move if need be.

Ok, looking to add an RTT on to the Cab of my 2015 Colorado Crew Cab.

My question is, how much weight can my crew cab roof hold? Nobody, not even Chevy seems to know lol

Thanks

Kevin108

Explorer
In looking though part numbers, it would appear that the OEM rails are from Thule. I went to their site and found the item.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-bars/thule-aeroblade-arb53-_-arb53999

Technical specifications
Length - 53 in
Equipped with T-track ✓
Maximum load - 220 lb/100 kg. Please also check the maximum roof load capacity of your vehicle.

The lower capacity rails from Thule were for 165 lbs. Even the larger tents look to max out under 150 lbs. I think you're good to go.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I tend to agree, yet Thule and Rhino have both specifically told me to find out how much weight the roof can hold :)

I doubt there is an issue, but its one of those things that is bothering me..

Kevin108

Explorer
Unless you're planning on driving around with them up there, that number is irrelevant.

Roof rack capacity is the safe load when dynamic forces are at play.

When parked and still, the capacity is something like 6 times greater.

I've seen some in-depth math on it before, but can't recall where. I'm certain Google can help.

I tend to agree, yet Thule and Rhino have both specifically told me to find out how much weight the roof can hold :)

I doubt there is an issue, but its one of those things that is bothering me..

Well, it takes over 20,000 lbs to crush it more than 5 inches. lol
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/colorado-crew-cab-pickup/2016

Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
Bobscreek: I researched this one already. You can put a regular 150lb+/- roof top tent on the crew cab but the only bar that is capable is the Rhino Rack Vortex RTL600 ditch mount. This requires more work fitting it to the roof because the ditch molds have to be carefully cut to fit the permanently mounted lower riser sections to the roof. Do not get the Vortex 2500 bars; they are not rated for roof-top tents with a dynamic load rating of 75kg or 165lb for two bars on pavement; you are supposed to half this for off-road use.

rickc

Adventurer
Joshua: It will not work as our cab roof is curved; the middle one of three would stick up higher than the front and rear. I'd definitely go the permanent route with the RTL600 ditch mount system. The Aussie Holden Colorado has factory bolt holes under the ditch mounts for attaching racks but our north american trucks don't have them. I've seen several Colorados fitted with the ditch mount; just take the time to do it right and preserve the mold strips. If in doubt, get the local Rhino Rack installer to do it for you. The RTL600 sits much lower than the 2500 bars and looks much better too. I have an ARE HD CX cap on the back with a Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and plan some day to extend the system by adding another platform up front using the RTL600 as a base. I got measurements from another owner who had the RTL600 on his cabin and the dimensions looked perfect for a flat transition from front to back platforms.

What do you have at the back? Long or short box? My ARB Simpson III is set to fold out backwards making an awning over the tail gate; a really good set-up for me.

Some pics: https://mhr900ss.imgur.com/

Note pics of Rhino 2500 bars; I bought then returned them because they were too high and note that the front leans front down and the back leans back down; another glitch if trying to secure a flat RTT base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles