Portable 12v inflator recommendations?

Nooga_Rock

I'm wanting to make a trip to the North Carolina outer banks. I'll need to air down when driving on the sand. I'm looking into getting a portable 12v inflator for reinflating afterwards. It looks like there are a ton of them on amazon in the 30-40$ range. Do you guys have any recommendations?

neil d

No complaints here about the Husky unit from Home Depot. It looks just like all the other 12v compressors. Takes about 3 min per tire to air up 10-15 PSI. Packs up small.

You can spend a lot more, of course...

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have one of the MV-50 units, here is a link but that is probably not the best price (I gave around $50-$60, some have claimed to get them even cheaper), they also are sold under different names: https://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

I don't use it frequently, but it has performed well and is stout. I baby it, I always try to start the compressor when the air line is unhooked so it's not running against pressure, and then thread it onto the valve stem. I hear the hard starts is what fries the wiring in them, and I also understand you can DIY overhaul the wiring to make it more robust.

dddonkey

Adventurer
I have one of the MV-50 units, here is a link but that is probably not the best price (I gave around $50-$60, some have claimed to get them even cheaper), they also are sold under different names: https://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

I don't use it frequently, but it has performed well and is stout. I baby it, I always try to start the compressor when the air line is unhooked so it's not running against pressure, and then thread it onto the valve stem. I hear the hard starts is what fries the wiring in them, and I also understand you can DIY overhaul the wiring to make it more robust.

I second this one, it is what I have and works well.

jrdchiropractic

Agreed. I’ve had this mounted in the engine compartment for about 6 years and it hasn’t given me any trouble. I’m sickened that it’s a Viair knockoff, but how can you justify paying almost 4x the cost for USA made? Mine is wired to the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I also have a couple of MV-50's when they were on closeouts for $25, and they've worked well for the past 8-10 years. I recently picked up a Viair 88P recently, Amazon had them on sale for less than $50, which made them even cheaper than the MV-50. They both work equally well. You could get cheaper ones but the two mentioned have been used and proven by a lot of people so it's probably not worth saving a few bucks on something unknown.

MOguy

Explorer
I am happy with my MV50. First one I had for about 6 years then I shorted it out being a dumb ***. I have had the second for about 5 years and still going strong.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I also have a couple of MV-50's when they were on closeouts for $25, and they've worked well for the past 8-10 years. I recently picked up a Viair 88P recently, Amazon had them on sale for less than $50, which made them even cheaper than the MV-50. They both work equally well. You could get cheaper ones but the two mentioned have been used and proven by a lot of people so it's probably not worth saving a few bucks on something unknown.
I agree, the MV-50 is worth $25, which is also what I paid years ago, too. Not sure it's worth paying the price they go for now but it has been solid.

87Warrior

GP'er
I've had a MV-50 since 2004. Purchased at Advance Auto in Colorado Springs on my way through town. The little thing still works great. It is a little slow at high elevation, but does complete the job. I did have to solder a loose wire behind the switch 5 years ago.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have a Master Flow MF-1050 (successor to the MV-50, I think), picked it because I needed a compressor modifiable to fit in a .30 caliber ammo can; so far it works OK; however I have some serious concerns about its design..
There is a huge gap between the (steel?) cylinder and the surrounding head spacer (which is masquerading as a heat sink) wrapped around the cylinder.. from a design standpoint this effectively insures that the cylinder liner and piston are going to overheat under hard use.
So far, with very limited use; no problems, but I am seriously considering making and pressing a piece of aluminum into the gap in an effort to make the head spacer into a functional heat sink and hopefully reduce the chances of overheating the cylinder and piston.
Master flow did a fair job of making this compressor look like a serious tool; but its, mostly, looks, IMO... (slightly better than typical chinese; can't recommend it)... although it is probably better than a completely plastic compressor.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Heuschele

I'm wanting to make a trip to the North Carolina outer banks. I'll need to air down when driving on the sand. I'm looking into getting a portable 12v inflator for reinflating afterwards. It looks like there are a ton of them on amazon in the 30-40$ range. Do you guys have any recommendations?

I have a Harbor Freight heavy duty 12v pump that has alligator clips to connect straight to the battery. I have had it over 10 years and use it quite a few times a year. The only things to go are the clips on the case so I use 1/8” cord to keep it closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles