F350 Regular Cab with Hawk Flatbed on XPCamper Truck Tray

fitt

Love this flatbed, would be great with a 5th wheel hitch built in and maybe low boxes down the sides!! All the storage and extra water for boonedocking.

con kso

Adventurer
YES FRIDAY! Ok I'm booking my one way flight up to Sacramento for next Saturday morning - Marc says that truck will be ready.... big boy toys are so awesome.

Somebody was asking about a fifth wheel set up - I found this photo, which I especially like because it's a white Ford same flatbed that I'm getting and with the bigger tires, I gotta admit, the truck looks really cool.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.57.33 PM.jpg

As far as dimensions, the backpack/garage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 or 22" I can't quite remember. The camper requires 80" - I think we're going with three extra inches off the back for the flatbed. The backpack/garage box is 42" tall so that it fits just under the overhanging portion of the Hawk camper.

We made it wide enough to hold an ARB on a sliding drawer on the passenger side and a 30 gallon water tank with fill and tap on the drivers side.

con kso

Adventurer
Getting close! Love those flatbeds. Random question. Can you put on the jacks, unload the camper at the campsite, and take the truck out? I don't think ive seen a camper that could be walked in without the truck. Would be nice to move around without packing up the basecamp.

Hmmm I don't know how easy it would be with the bolt down Four Wheel Camper - I was reading somewhere that lining up the four holes for the bolts is kinda tedious. I'm not taking it off the flatbed so I didn't get the camper jacks. We're a motorcycle family so I'm thinking I'll have a moto or two on a trailer, or off the bumper for running errands.

con kso

Adventurer
It's DONE. Booked my flight up to Sacramento, flying out of San Diego at 6am, hop on Super Shuttle and I should be in Grass Valley around 9:30am... then it's probably gonna be time to pick my jaw up off the floor. Check it out:

flatbed corner view nice.jpg

flatbed full extend.jpg

That's a LOT of aluminum cabinetry.

flatbed side view full.jpg

flatbed side box .jpg

flatbed slide side.jpg

flatbed fridge slide.jpg

Marc added some really cool little features to the flatbed. For example, check out the black water tank drain below - gravity flow, no pump required.

flatbed water drain.jpg

flatbed box Led.jpg

How about these cool little LED lights added inside of the box?

flatbed air quick connect.jpg

And then there are the ARB Dual Cylinder pump quick connects - check out the Ride Rite fill points next to the quick connect. Of course I went with the Daystar Cups... standard for the course around here right?

So, as to be expected, I'm at full froth level for this thing.

I have to acknowledgement Marc and his crew over at XPCamper - they said they would have it done by this Saturday and it's done now and by the looks of it, it's even better than I expected. In addition, if you really look at that thing, there is a LOT going on with boxes, angles, hinges, struts, sliders, water tanks, drains, lights, pneumatics, mounting points, bumpers and on and on and on.

Shoot, the fastening work that was done to secure the water tank alone would have been a MAJOR project.

There's too many details for me to wrap my head around right now but I'm sure over the next few years I'm going to appreciate the little added details more and more. There's almost more cabinetry in that flatbed than I have in my kitchen... and it's all made in aluminum!

Excited to fly up this Saturday and I'll report back from the road (with my regular bed strapped onto the flatbed).

kpredator

Adventurer
Looks great and I will be following closely as we just purchased a 17 f350-6.7 cab and a half
Truck rides very well and only thing I have got done this winter is seat covers,floor matts,mud flaps and
Heated seats.
My plans are aluminess front bumper
Alumaline service body to match up to camper
Dual wheel carrier rear bumper
In no hurry as we will take our old rig to Baja next year

And your right the tires look awful small in a f-350 wheel well

Good Luck
Kp

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Speaking from experience here, as I have an XP flatbed.

I see ARB air fittings but you didn't say where the compressor is mounted. If XP mounted it on your frame you'll want to either relocate it into one of your storage boxes or get the ARB remote air filter relocation kit. The small brass screw-in air filters installed on the compressor will get filled with dust, mud or worse, water and you'll ruin your compressor. It also has a fan in it that will get clogged up and not run resulting in the compressor overheating and failing. Put the compressor in a storage box and it will last a long time. Make sure the storage box has a vent on it to allow air in, or if it has no vent only run the compressor when the door is open or you'll risk collapsing the box as it sucks a LOT of air.

If you have an air tank with the compressor check the way the air lines go into the tank. XP installed mine incorrectly. My air line out from the compressor was installed going into the BOTTOM of the air tank, and the lines to the air hose fittings coming out of the middle of the tank on the two ends. Compressed air is heated, so when it goes into the tank, then cools, it condenses causing moisture. This is why big truck tanks have water drain valves on theirs. You need one, too. Run the air line from the compressor in to one end of the tank, run the lines out of the other end of the tank then into a T-fitting then to the air hose fittings, and put a petcock drain valve in the bottom of the air tank. Failing to do this will result in your tank rusting out or water flowing back up into your compressor.

Link to ARB Relocation Kit

Link to picture of compressor mounted in a storage box

con kso

Adventurer
GOT IT.

Sorry for the delay folks but I've got my new camper! Had a couple really long days getting up there to Prescott and then getting the camper installed. Here's some quick pictures:

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.36.00 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.34.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.33.47 PM.jpg

A quick review of the F350/Camper combo: I wrote this on another forum but it's still true here, we've all heard the cliche "I don't even know it's back there" in this case, it's true - I hauled *** down the curvy road from Prescott and the truck actually felt like it drove better with the extra weight back there!

In addition, I had the foot in the *** of my F350 all the way back to San Diego, frequently 5-10 mph over the speed limit (I apologize - just had to get home to pick up my dog) especially on the 10 where we were cranking way over the 75mph speed limit, the camper/truck combo was planted, steady and one finger driving even in the low/medium strength crosswind.

I will say, however, that at 75 + mph the big aluminum box 1.5' behind my head (remember, regular cab) does make a bit of a roar - wind noise was something I hadn't accounted for. If I slowed it down to 50 - 70 the noise was entirely manageable and frequently drowned out by the Led Zeppelin blasting on the stereo.

We did put about 30 psi in the air bags at AT (with a full tank of water camper water, I did not fill my extra 30 gallon tank) - I'm looking at the truck right now and with 30 psi the truck is featuring the OEM stinkbug stance - so I think I can take some air out - but I don't know why I would, it rides really nicely.

Very happy I "over-trucked" it on this project, it feels like it's just about right.

I do see a need for some type of high mounted, back up camera. With the regular cab, it's difficult to see who's coming from the right side of the truck when backing out.

Oh yeah, the reg cab is sweet to drive in parking lots, it's got a great turning radius. The only downside is that I'm now so paranoid of somebody bumping my sweet flatbed that I park way out in the boonies anyway.

BTW - I've gotta give a very, very strong recommendation for Marc's truck trays over at XPCamper - he really is the "custom" option and his prices (around 12k) for the stock flatbed with boxes etc are right in there with what you'd pay from anyone else - the big "except" is that this flatbed is what I'd call precision made. There are so many machined, beveled, countersunk and offroad-minded little details that it would save time to just come look at my tray rather than have me try to describe it. A great example is the way it's mounted (I'm not sure if Marc is cool with me taking pictures of the mounting system so I won't snap them unless he gives it the thumbs up) - this system is way, way different than anything I've seen out there - and in talking with Marc, it makes a lot of sense (especially from what I've seen Baja do to rigid mounts). For the same price you'd pay for any other flatbed you get one made out of beautiful aluminum by someone making it for "out-there".

Next up is Redarc, BMV 712 (and shunt) install and 200 watts of solar (with Victron 100/30 Smart Solar controller), will update with more pics.

PS: Yes - my onboard air system tank is mounted and plumbed correctly - I checked it out, drain on the bottom and manifold for airlines. The ARB pump is outside of the box so I will look into that - but I saw the ARB "torture" test videos of their pumps and I think my placement may be within tolerances? Will, however, still look into it. High mount for air filters looks like a good idea - but, dang, $30 something bucks (per airfilter so that 60 bucks total!) for some 1/4" NPT barbed fittings, some tube and bracket? I may "fab" up my own!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles