Dobinson suspension

Jc1986.carter

Good day everyone. Long time reader, first time poster

I have been in the search for a new suspension setup for a 2017 Frontier 4.0L (basic camping gear in the bed ~150-200lbs and two humans and dog in the cab). I know the go to basic is an old man emu or a radflo coilover kit, but after a bit of searching I contacted Dobinson USA about their kit as well. They have an exterior reservoir strut and rear shock kit similar to the BP51 from OME but the only reviews are from AUS for navaras (d40 variants) and Toyota’s 5gen 4Runners and 3rd gen tacos. Long story short, has anyone had any experience Dobinson yet?

PS, I looked at them when they were the first supplier in the states for grand Cherokee wk2 when I had one but was still hesitant about them.

Thanks in advance

Patrollife

Explorer
Good day everyone. Long time reader, first time poster

I have been in the search for a new suspension setup for a 2017 Frontier 4.0L (basic camping gear in the bed ~150-200lbs and two humans and dog in the cab). I know the go to basic is an old man emu or a radflo coilover kit, but after a bit of searching I contacted Dobinson USA about their kit as well. They have an exterior reservoir strut and rear shock kit similar to the BP51 from OME but the only reviews are from AUS for navaras (d40 variants) and Toyota's 5gen 4Runners and 3rd gen tacos. Long story short, has anyone had any experience Dobinson yet?

PS, I looked at them when they were the first supplier in the states for grand Cherokee wk2 when I had one but was still hesitant about them.

Thanks in advance

No experience with an actual Dobinson suspension on any vehicle, but like you, I know they have a good reputation in Oz. I've only ordered Coil Spacers from them but in the future I plan to make more orders with Dobinson USA for my Patrol.

Patrollife

Explorer
I'm going to bump this thread in the event that anyone has heard anything new about dobinson.

I will be ordering drag links and adjustable upper control arms for my Patrol from Dobinson, hopefully in May. If I needed to replace my OME coils I'd highly consider the heavy duty Dobinson coils but I would probably go with a different shock (I'm looking at Fox). Like I said, the Patrol guys seem to rate the Dobinson suspension well so I wouldn't see why this wouldn't transfer to other types of rigs.

(none)

Adventurer
I’m going to bump this thread in the event that anyone has heard anything new about dobinson.

I got a quote from them a month or so ago for what would be the same as an OME heavy front/ medium rear kit. Pricing similar, although slightly more expensive. To be honest, it felt a bit like pulling teeth to get all of the pricing info and payment, so I went with OME. After a few emails back and forth where I was asking for final pricing (including shipping, any taxes, etc), I was just forwarded a form to fill out to charge my credit card, instead of getting the final pricing. No easy way to buy online.

I sold a 4Runner to switch to the Frontier. Dobinson is known over on that side pretty well. I've never heard anything bad about their products. I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase their suspension had the sales process gone smoother. Their offererings are nearly identical to the OME kit (springs, shackles (although they offer a greasable front spring bolt as well), shocks, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles