Headlight & Taillight replacement

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I cleaned up the headlights with a 3-stage wetsanding process, 800grit, 1500, 2000. Followed by a buffing with some Meg ultimate polishing goop.
I did that on my old plastic headlight lenses, but I went to 3000 grit. Looked good for a short while, but that was the surface gloss. The discoloration on mine was deep and no amount of sanding and polishing was going to remove that. You'll probably be doing it again in a few months, or just ordering new lights. The problem with that generation of truck is that there may not be any glass lights for it. Have you found glass lenses?

arveetek

Adventurer
Are those headlights glass or plastic?

Plastic. I am not aware of any glass composite headlight assemblies. Even the factory OEM headlights were plastic, hence the yellowing and need to replace. The only glass headlights I know of are the work truck edition square headlights, like were used on the older vehicles for years and years.

Casey

rayra

Expedition Leader
I did that on my old plastic headlight lenses, but I went to 3000 grit. Looked good for a short while, but that was the surface gloss. The discoloration on mine was deep and no amount of sanding and polishing was going to remove that. You'll probably be doing it again in a few months, or just ordering new lights. The problem with that generation of truck is that there may not be any glass lights for it. Have you found glass lenses?

All plastic, that I've seen from the usual sources. LMC Truck and the like. Even if I could find glass I'm not spending the money for them.

I see some YouTube detailers advocating spraying clear gloss krylon on them, with its 'UV protection', after doing similar fine sanding processes. Still 'paint' so I don't really want to do it. Still looking around for other UV protective coating solutions.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Still looking around for other UV protective coating solutions.

3M 90% VLT Film. Highest UV protection and highest light transmission of any film, as of about 16 months ago, probably still the best. When I put new headlights on my Power Wagon, I had them filmed to control yellowing and to protect from desert sandstorms. Not perfect, some lifting at the edges, but lifetime guarantee from the shop that applied it. Had it done when I did the windows. It is clear enough that the truck does not look filmed. Probably not worth doing on lights that are already weathered.

https://www.ebay.com/i/391807073008?chn=ps

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Plastic. I am not aware of any glass composite headlight assemblies.

If you are referring to the 95 Tahoe, there are glass composite headlights out there for it. Same headlights as on my 98 GMC K1500, which is now running glass headlights. OEM is crap, you have to search out aftermarket lights. I'll try to post a pic of mine tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles