Poll: Storage Case - Durability vs. Weight?

Muckbox

Q. How would you rank the following statements, with 1 = most agree, 3 = least agree?

a. I prefer an ultra lightweight container to store and transport my gear.
b. I prefer a highly durable container to store and transport my gear.
c. I prefer having a mix of both types of containers for different gear storage uses.

Please elaborate why you chose the order you did!

krick3tt

Adventurer
Depends on where it it located. Inside, loose and not in a drawer it's a 'B' Outside on the RR it's an 'A'.
But then it depends on what I have loaded in it. No point in having a light box with 200 pounds in it.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Durability is the most important for me. If you buy reasonably sized containers, weight really isn't an issue for loading and unloading, and as far as total weight on the truck goes, well, what little I'd save in the weight of a box doesn't mean much relative to what's in it.

The other important factor is design - how efficient is it, can it stack, is it a size that can be handled easily, does it have handles in the right place, can you strap it down easily, etc.

And then of course price. Most people either have a few prized pelican or alubox cases or they nabbed a good deal on something used, which is how I got my hardigg stuff.

But then, there's also a crowd who would buy a matching set of carbon fiber cases at whatever price you asked.

C. Mix. I'd also add in efficiency of space. I don't use Action Packers because there's too much dead space inside and out. I like the Frontrunner Wolf box because it's easy to fully use the inside space and the outside doesn't have any dead space in the shape.

-M

rayra

Expedition Leader
B. but rigid containers are generally a huge space waste. Unless you are talking external storage and then it doesn't matter nearly as much.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
It doesn't matter how light it is if it doesn't protect my junk. That said, as light as possible and still be bomber... that is what I am looking for.

robert

Expedition Leader
Mix- depends on what I'm carrying and where I want to carry it. Obviously more delicate stuff like cameras need more protection from shock as well as dust whereas tools are easier to store in a bag that I can shove in a cabinet. I think everyone's solutions will be somewhat different based on their gear, their vehicle's available space and how they pack it.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Mix, also;
For most hard things I like durable hard cases.
For soft things (clothing/tents/etc. I like heavy canvas bags/duffels).
The sleeping bags go into military, rubberized, wet weather bags.
Folding chairs usually get their original bag if they get a container at all
For food its always hard (critter resistant) very durable cases (usually steel ammo cans or the bear resistant cooler)...
Occasionally milk crates get employed for miscellaneous general carrying.

Enjoy!

Kerensky97

Xterra101
How durable does durable need to be?
I'm fine with $15 Rubbermaid containers from Lowes. They're not pelican cases and probably won't survive being thrown from the vehicle if I roll over a 500ft cliff, or a 75MPH freeway accident. But if either of those happen my camping gear isn't my biggest concern.

They keep wild animals out of my gear, they don't get holes worn in them after vibrating over 200 miles of desert trail, and rain/weather/dust is kept out; and when cinched down they don't shft or move at all. That's all I need.

So I would say C. I like having more than just a duffel bag strapped to the roof. But a simple plastic container is fine, maybe even a thick vinyl coated fabric for holding soft gear. But I like the modularity of plastic bins.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I like something strong enough to sit on for lunch, and stand on to reach the roof. But not all of the storage needs to be that way, there is something to be said for soft duffels to fill in the gaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles