Help me pick a vehicle...please

Manimal70

I am wanting to do light trail riding, camping, fishing, exploring. I have a family of 4 but unfortunately my youngest son is completely disabled and would not be able to make any trail rides(e's trached, on O2, tube fed and has seizures) so I would be taking my wife and oldest son(12) for 1-2 day excursions when we are able to have nursing care. But most of the time it will be me and my son. Trails like the Mojave Trail and the like.
I have been looking at the Fullsize Broncos and GMT400 Blazers. I would most likely do a straight axle in either with 3/4ton axles and no bigger than 37's. So my questions are, which would be a better choice for dependability? I like both, so I am looking for real world experiences....Pros and Cons of each.
Thank You

Last edited:

Manimal70

I have had a few G-wags! I LOVE THEM...but lately people have all started smoking crack when they put a price on them.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'd flip a coin or pick whichever you like the looks of more, both are pretty much on par with one another IMHO. I'm more of a Ford man so I'd lean that way personally, but I wouldn't hesitate to own a GMT400 Blazer either. 305 or 350 vs 302 or 351, all are very common and parts are plentiful. I have seen a spike in demand for the 1992-96 Broncos as of late, seems to be a resurgence in popularity and common amongst desert runner builds at the moment, so that might factor into price and availability. Good luck in your search, sounds like a cool venture for the family.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I had a ‘93 Blazer. Cool rig, but the switch gear inside was garbage, especially the hvac controls. Make sure to get the newer interior that went away from the big gray plastic buttons. (96-99?)

Have you considered a K5? Already has a solid axle and dead simple to work on.

Broncos are cool too. Don’t see many examples on Expo.

Brad

AlexCold

Observer
Another vote for a K5 blazer or a 78-79 Bronco. Already a straight axle vehicle with a huge aftermarket. The bronco will ride better on its coil sprung front suspension but you can make them both work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manimal70

Ok, here is what I have at the moment. I already have a 92 Z71 Blazer fullsize,350 tbi, 700r4/208...it has 300k+ miles on it. The suspension is worn out and I have a D44 GM 8 lug front AND a D44HP from a 78/9 F250. The problem with the Blazer is I am trying to get paperwork for it. In the meantime, I am thinking about buying my neighbors 88 Fullsize bronco,5.0,AOD electric shift BW1356.
So like what was stated above, they are very similar in platforms. The work I want to do for either one is the same. I will pull the automatics out in favor of manual trans and NP205s, SAS with leaf springs and Sterling or 14 bolt rear axles.
I think I like the top being removable on the Bronco, will make it easier for cage construction and fun going topless.
As for a K5...I like those too, but the ones I have seen lately are hammered for 3k.
Another option is a K2500 Suburban and do the SAS on it...I already have a 93 C2500 Suburban and wish it were 4wd.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Given that info I'd build the 88 Bronco or sell it and the 92 Blazer (for parts or off-why use) and find a 2500 Burb. I wouldn't bother with the Blazer if you don't have papers.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Ok, here is what I have at the moment. I already have a 92 Z71 Blazer fullsize,350 tbi, 700r4/208...it has 300k+ miles on it. The suspension is worn out and I have a D44 GM 8 lug front AND a D44HP from a 78/9 F250. The problem with the Blazer is I am trying to get paperwork for it. In the meantime, I am thinking about buying my neighbors 88 Fullsize bronco,5.0,AOD electric shift BW1356.
So like what was stated above, they are very similar in platforms. The work I want to do for either one is the same. I will pull the automatics out in favor of manual trans and NP205s, SAS with leaf springs and Sterling or 14 bolt rear axles.
I think I like the top being removable on the Bronco, will make it easier for cage construction and fun going topless.
As for a K5...I like those too, but the ones I have seen lately are hammered for 3k.
Another option is a K2500 Suburban and do the SAS on it...I already have a 93 C2500 Suburban and wish it were 4wd.

Geez, you're all over the place here! :eek::D

If you are thinking about a SAS and manual trans swap, why don't you convert your '93 C2500 to 4x4? What's the deal on the '92 paperwork? A Bronco would be cool too but if you already have the other two why add another vehicle to the mix?

Another one I'd consider would be a Grand Cherokee, ZJ or WJ. They are very capable and already have a straight ax. I've had a bunch of them.

Attachments

• 167-6729_IMG.JPG
    167-6729_IMG.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 12

Manimal70

LOL, yes I know I am all over the place.
The Blazer was given to me by a friend, went to DMV to see about getting a title, there is still a lien holder on file. So I contacted the bank on file and they need Social Security numbers or account numbers to get me a lien release, problem is, the previous owners are deceased. I was able to find their son and he is going to try to get me a lien release as he has all the info.....
I have been collecting parts for a multitude of options(LS 5.3,axles, transmissions,etc..) So whatever vehicle I get, I will have MOST of the parts to build it the way I want it...SAS, manual trans, manual windows/locks, caged, EFI.
I had a Grand Wagoneer that I had done ALL that too, but it was during a time when my youngest son was hospitalized often and I could not afford to continue with it and had to let it go. Now, times are better and my son has not been hospitalized since June 2013!
I think I will start with the Bronco and if my oldest son gets into offroad, I will build the Blazer for him and sell the truck he currently has(1973 D100 shortbed fleetside, hotrod 225/833 4speed gonna get a turbo)

thezentree

pretend redneck
If you are thinking about a SAS and manual trans swap, why don't you convert your '93 C2500 to 4x4?

This. 37s under a fullsize is a lot for a 1/2 ton axle. Converting a C2500 to SFA means you're already going to have to buy a transfer case and adapter, so now you have the option of driver side vs passenger side drop. Might make it easier/cheaper to find a 1-ton front axle. CUCV axles would be perfect with a PS t-case.

AlexCold

Observer
Well that changes things a bunch.
I would vote for converting the C2500 using ORD's kit http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98SolidAxleConversion.htm and using the Chevy front axle. For mild wheeling the 37s will live on the D44/10bolt front axle for a while until you can find a D60 from somewhere.

Does the C2500 already have the 14bff or is it the 14bsf?

The Suburban is going to give you way more room for your family which is a big plus and you don't have to go buy another vehicle. Trust me I know the feeling of having more and more projects, but sometimes you have to resist.

Manimal70

Yeah, I have projects out my ears! lol.
I would love to convert my 'burb to 4wd. But every time I read about someone wanting to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion you get some yahoo saying "just sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd" or they talk about the bump in the frame for the stock coil springs, that if you cut it out and plate it, it will be VERY weak...
My Suburban had a TBI 454,4l80e, 14blt FF with 4.10, a divorced tranfercase would not bother me at all.

Manimal70

I would LOVE to bring my son with us, but truth is he has very intense seizures every day, he has a trache in his neck to breathe and a tube in his belly to eat. He requires oxygen quite often. While I hate the thought of not bringing him, I have to juggle my time, its also not a burden my oldest should have to always bare. So as a father, I am extremely torn. But I have to make it work for all.
Trust me, he goes 99 % of ALL places we go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles