Need Advice for 2015 Tacoma Suspension System

phsycle

Adventurer
Long rides down washboard roads will work your shocks and could blow them out. Check this out:

Go Ridgeline!! :D

I do some dirt road travels. But never worried about blowing shocks. Lower the PSI and take it easy. For me, there are better things to spend money on. It's not a critical component where a destroyed shock will immobilize you.

sertguy

Observer
Depends on what you mean by damage. If it gets too warm the oil loses viscosity, breaks down, you'll lose damping and maybe blow out the seals. Those can all be fixed with a rebuild, so you probably wouldn't permanently damage them, but I wouldn't want make a habit of it.

Ok, thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clutch

<---Pass
Long rides down washboard roads will work your shocks and could blow them out.
I do some dirt road travels. But never worried about blowing shocks. Lower the PSI and take it easy. For me, there are better things to spend money on. It's not a critical component where a destroyed shock will immobilize you.

I have been running coil overs for years, have rebuilt them 3 times. Ever since moving to Idaho...where they use salt and mag chloride on the roads, the heims and seals don't seem to last as long. I rebuilt them right before we moved here 3.5 years ago, and they need rebuilt again...this go around I am putting in OME's. Think coil-overs are over kill for most.

Can always carry spare shocks and one complete strut for long trips, as they are pretty easy to swap out on the trail. I unbolt the lower ball joint when I do them. Found that easier than the bottle jack against UCA and inner fender method, or spring compressor. Can use ratchet straps in a pinch for a spring compressor...ratchet strap also makes it easier to adjust the collar on coil-overs if the OP decides to go that way.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I have been running coil overs for years, have rebuilt them 3 times. Ever since moving to Idaho...where they use salt and mag chloride on the roads, the heims and seals don't seem to last as long. I rebuilt them right before we moved here 3.5 years ago, and they need rebuilt again...this go around I am putting in OME's. Think coil-overs are over kill for most.

Can always carry spare shocks and one complete strut for long trips, as they are pretty easy to swap out on the trail. I unbolt the lower ball joint when I do them. Found that easier than the bottle jack against UCA and inner fender method, or spring compressor. Can use ratchet straps in a pinch for a spring compressor...ratchet strap also makes it easier to adjust the collar on coil-overs if the OP decides to go that way.

I hate that they use salt down here, too. But at least it's not humid like the east coast where it rots everything out.

For remote, extended trips, spare shocks makes sense. Definitely easy to change out the rear. Not bad on the front, especially if you've already got a preassembled unit.

Clutch

<---Pass
I hate that they use salt down here, too. But at least it's not humid like the east coast where it rots everything out.

For remote, extended trips, spare shocks makes sense. Definitely easy to change out the rear. Not bad on the front, especially if you've already got a preassembled unit.

I don't moss PA at all...

If you're a cheap SOB, can always bring your old stock strut with a spacer and use it as a spare.

Though in all my years I have never had a shock fully blow where I couldn't get home.

Did have a Bilstien 5100 eye come unthreaded from the shaft before...that was a first. We just welded it to get home.

Jeepvkk

My opinion is, all this talk of prepping for the worst case scenario is a never-ending rabbit hole. I have a late gen Tacoma which is stock and will stay mostly that way. When the tires go, I’ll be going 32” aka 265/75/16 All-Terrain. No lift unless I get a shell. Then I’ll do a add a leaf. That should be good. The stock truck can go on a lot of trails.

I have some recovery gear. The only other mod I’ll do is a Warn hidden winch mount for the recovery points and a winch for self-rescue. That’s it. Like you, I don’t want to compromise on-road ride or the range/MPG. Because that’s where the truck will spend 80% of its mileage.

Look at these crazy OZ folks. The guy in the DMax is on stock 31” tires. When in doubt, just winch up!

[video]https://youtu.be/x4V_eO4Sjsg[/video]

Thanks great advice and very instructive video. My instinct is to stay stock until I feel the real need to progress. The only thing Ive ordered for my new truck are sliders and maxtrax. I’ll eventually likely get a winch as well.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks great advice and very instructive video. My instinct is to stay stock until I feel the real need to progress. The only thing Ive ordered for my new truck are sliders and maxtrax. I'll eventually likely get a winch as well.

I put a stock Toyota many a place. Only upgrade to something a better because the stock suspension was worn out and broken leaf in the spring pack. Have done the front once (that doesn't include rebuilding my coil-overs), and the rear 3 times. 4 sets of shocks. First was repair broken leaf, then a set if 5 leaf Deavers since I thought I don't haul much, broke those...then finally a set of OME Dakar HD's...played around with those to get it to ride right, took out the add-a-leaf...that was a little too soft, put that back in and took out one of the over loads...which worked great for a SnugTop...not so much when I put another Wildernest back on...so back went in the over load.

The OME's were pretty rough riding when they were new, guessing mine have about 150K miles on them now...seems they are fatigued enough where the ride isn't too bad.

Think if you want a nice ride for washboards, sell the truck and buy a Highlander (or dare I say Ridgeline), swear my mom's husband's bone stock Highlander rides better than my kitted Tacoma down the corrugation.

I am probably one of the few that think the Tacoma should get IRS...if it is a lifestyle truck why not make it a better lifestyle truck?

sertguy

Observer
Think if you want a nice ride for washboards, sell the truck and buy a Highlander (or dare I say Ridgeline), swear my mom's husband's bone stock Highlander rides better than my kitted Tacoma down the corrugation.
[/QUOTE]

Lol, no ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clutch

<---Pass
Lol, no ****.

:D Aww c'mon! ;) :p

Yeah, I don't know why Tacoma guys look down so much at the Ridgeline...it has a better payload, and some nicer features.

Not sure how the unibody would hold up after years of washboard road running. I have been in some Jeep XJ's that had some miles on them, they felt pretty clapped out...it might be a Jeep thing though. :p

Adventurous

Explorer
:D Aww c'mon! ;) :p

Yeah, I don't know why Tacoma guys look down so much at the Ridgeline...it has a better payload, and some nicer features.

Not sure how the unibody would hold up after years of washboard road running. I have been in some Jeep XJ's that had some miles on them, they felt pretty clapped out...it might be a Jeep thing though. :p

Probably has something to do with the fact that it looks like clog on wheels.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I can't say I've ever ridden in a Highlander or Ridgeline, but it won't stop me from saying that is hogwash in my experience. My 2008 TRD Offroad rode terrible on washboard with the OE suspension, that is 100% true. Borderline uncontrollable or maybe worse.

However, our Forester rides OK on washboard, honestly probably is better than a stock Tacoma, so that's probably not all that different than any other IFS/IRS quasi-SUV. But my old '91 with full OME heavy rode pretty well and my Tacoma with FOX really does float over washboard. I have to think your Taco must be damped or sprung wrong.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I can't say I've ever ridden in a Highlander or Ridgeline, but it won't stop me from saying that is hogwash in my experience. My 2008 TRD Offroad rode terrible on washboard with the OE suspension, that is 100% true. Borderline uncontrollable or maybe worse.

However, our Forester rides OK on washboard, honestly probably is better than a stock Tacoma, so that's probably not all that different than any other IFS/IRS quasi-SUV. But my old '91 with full OME heavy rode pretty well and my Tacoma with FOX really does float over washboard. I have to think your Taco must be damped or sprung wrong.

I would think it's not just IRS vs SA. ALL suspension components play into it. Put the same level shocks on your Forester (if such thing exists), and I would venture to guess it would ride better. I do know the best ride I've ever had on long washboard roads was in a RZR 900 4-seater. Nice, long-travel, and IFS/IRS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles