Need Advice for 2015 Tacoma Suspension System

sertguy

Observer
Good modestly priced system! I was wondering why no one mentioned Bilstein. 6112s are big shocks with no reservoirs and seem to get good reviews.

For some reason the 5160s only have a 90 day warranty, while the 6112s have lifetime, and the 5100s (same as 5160s sans reservoir) also have lifetime. Although Bilstein has CYA disclaimer saying the warranty is void if you drive offroad, I'd still go for the 5100s on the rear. Cheaper too.

Regarding the lift, 2" is about the limit if you want good caster with stock UCAs. It's plenty, no reason to go higher. Also I think 6112s come with spacers for the bumpstops, so you don't need to buy them separately.

No reason to go overboard for every contingency. Do some modest and cheap upgrades and see where that gets you.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the 5160vs the 5100's.

The Bilstein kit Im looking at only comes with a 600lb spring. Do you think a 600lb spring is sufficient for a bumper/winch combo weight of about 140 lb's?? If not and a 650 necessary, do I have other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the 5160vs the 5100's.

The Bilstein kit Im looking at only comes with a 600lb spring. Do you think a 600lb spring is sufficient for a bumper/winch combo weight of about 140 lb's?? If not and a 650 necessary, do I have other options?

Wheelers has heavier weight springs for the Billies.

https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-25489...er-and-44-46-241627.html?ref=category:1388370

Yes! Both is the best answer. But I just drove my wife's car on a road trip recently. As hard as my Tacoma seats are, they are very nice on long trips. And for whatever reason, I couldn't stand driving the car after a few hundred miles. It felt great getting back into my truck. Despite the wallowy ride, I've really started to like the feel of the Tacoma even for on road rides. The only thing I won't ever get used to is the mpg, but even that isn't THAT bad.

I did rent a Subaru OB for 2 weeks, I did end up hating it by the end of the trip, just didn't swallow gear like the Tacoma. My neck hurt afterwards, couldn't figure out why...then realized I was straining to see over things. Same thing when I drove a VW Sportwagen for a day. Really, the only thing I don't like about my Tacoma is the mpg's...only reason I am looking at cars. Which is weird...I can afford the fuel...just being cheap. Maybe I just need to get 2 Tacos...one for camping and one for a daily.

downhill

Adventurer
My Tacoma has been a love / hate thing. After tossing the entire suspension (couldn't even salvage the bump stops), the transfer case, axle gears, and bumpers; then reworking a ton of electronic junk,... the truck is "serviceable". Truth is, there is still room in the dumpster for more Tacoma parts when I get the time.....so yea, I love my Tacoma,.....what's left of it anyway. ;)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

Back on page 1 I posted this:

I have an ARB bull bar (say +90 lbs over stock), XD9000 winch with synthetic line (call it 65 lbs), two PC1400 batteries in place of the original group 27 (say +35 lbs over stock) and bolt-on Mobtown sliders (I dunno, 100 lbs for the pair?).

So call it about 240 lbs over stock on the front axle, 190 lbs hung in front of it and 50 lbs behind (assuming the sliders are about centered between axles). With this I feel the 650# is about right. My springs are compressed to approximately 10.5" (3.5" compression) on the driver's and 10.875" (3.125" compression) on passenger. That represents 2,275 lbs on driver and 2,031 lbs on passenger. Which is about right when you figure the fuel tank and batteries are on that side.

A 700 lb/in spring would change these static numbers by 0.25", but the difference is that it will travel dynamically that same ~7% less on a pound-for-pound basis. At block height of 6.61" my King spring will hold 4,804 lbs and the old 13"/600# Eibach/FOX would hold 4,350 lbs fully compressed. A 700 lb/in, 14" long coil should hold about 5,200 lbs at full compression.

In my use (not high speed desert) it's unusual that either would bind but I feel the extra 500 lbs margin is nice to have and the ride isn't mushy nor rattle fillings loose firm. I do get some body lean on two-lane but I don't feel the need for a sway bar (mine's long gone).

For comparison OME recommends for a bull bar and winch (they assume 200 lbs) to use their x886 spring to achieve 2.75" of lift with a 90000 series shock. That spring is 15.83" tall and 660 lb/in rate. All their other springs are 590 lb/in rate.
I forgot to add in that I have a Pelfreyblit skid plate that is another 60 lbs and I'm still running 650 lb/in coils just fine. In fact the ride is very good. My feeling is 600 lb/in springs are going to be fine for you. That's probably what I'd pick to start and only bump up if I found myself bottoming or sagging excessively. I may go to a 700 lb/in spring when I rebuild the shocks next time but I'm in no rush at this point.

Last edited:

Jeepvkk

I have a Tacoma on order and you guys are scaring me lol. Our other family car will be a Subaru since I’ll be trading in my Audi for the Tacoma. I had told myself my next car has to be AWD for safety since we lost our 2000 4Runner over ice in 2wd some years ago. I test rode the ridgeline and it was so car like quiet and refined. But there is just something about Toyota trucks. I’d been eyeing Tacoma’s for years and although had made up my mind about the ridgeline went for a taco in the end. Of course I am attracted to the off-road features and would like to do that again after having Overlanded in the 4Runner and miss it.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have a Tacoma on order and you guys are scaring me lol. Our other family car will be a Subaru since I'll be trading in my Audi for the Tacoma. I had told myself my next car has to be AWD for safety since we lost our 2000 4Runner over ice in 2wd some years ago. I test rode the ridgeline and it was so car like quiet and refined. But there is just something about Toyota trucks. I'd been eyeing Tacoma's for years and although had made up my mind about the ridgeline went for a taco in the end. Of course I am attracted to the off-road features and would like to do that again after having Overlanded in the 4Runner and miss it.

They are fine...I am just nit picking.

Honestly everything is pretty nice now-a-days, and they are all pretty much the same. Each company just does things a little differently.

Jeepvkk

Honestly everything is pretty nice now-a-days, and they are all pretty much the same. Each company just does things a little differently.

Thanks - I was partly kidding. I've done my homework and know what I'm getting and getting into and after a 4Runner and a corolla, it's like coming back home. I've never owned a Honda.

sertguy

Observer
Back on page 1 I posted this:

I forgot to add in that I have a Pelfreyblit skid plate that is another 60 lbs and I'm still running 650 lb/in coils just fine. In fact the ride is very good. My feeling is 600 lb/in springs are going to be fine for you. That's probably what I'd pick to start and only bump up if I found myself bottoming or sagging excessively. I may go to a 700 lb/in spring when I rebuild the shocks next time but I'm in no rush at this point.

Thank. That's what I was looking for. So I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Bilstein lift I mentioned above.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks - I was partly kidding. I've done my homework and know what I'm getting and getting into and after a 4Runner and a corolla, it's like coming back home. I've never owned a Honda.

You're welcome.

ye-ahh...don't listen to me bad mouthing them. They are great little trucks, just have to know what their limits are...they can take an amazing amount of abuse and keep on ticking.

We bought a Civic after having a nightmare experience with a VW Jetta...Civic was one of the best cars we have ever owned. Of course coming off a late model VW...anything is better. :)

Jeepvkk

You're welcome.

ye-ahh...don't listen to me bad mouthing them. They are great little trucks, just have to know what their limits are...they can take an amazing amount of abuse and keep on ticking.

We bought a Civic after having a nightmare experience with a VW Jetta...Civic was one of the best cars we have ever owned. Of course coming off a late model VW...anything is better. :)

That's funny since I got my 4Runner after a nightmare experience with a VW Golf. 4runner running strong at 190k got totaled or I might still have it.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's funny since I got my 4Runner after a nightmare experience with a VW Golf. 4runner running strong at 190k got totaled or I might still have it.

If only they would put a VW body on a Honda or Toyota chassis. ;) Though I kinda like the looks of the Corolla iM.

Have 365K on my Tacoma, original engine and trans. You can see why I have worn out the suspension a couple few times. Its' stamina more than makes up for a couple of its' flaws.

Jeepvkk

If only they would put a VW body on a Honda or Toyota chassis. ;) Though I kinda like the looks of the Corolla iM.

Have 365K on my Tacoma, original engine and trans. You can see why I have worn out the suspension a couple few times. Its' stamina more than makes up for a couple of its' flaws.

That mileage more than speaks for your choice. :)

bkg

Explorer

you hate Toyotas. You should get out of this forum and spend your time on the Honda and Subaru forums only. All you do is spread hate, vitriol and bad information about Toyotas.

... :p:p

Clutch

<---Pass
you hate Toyotas. You should get out of this forum and spend your time on the Honda and Subaru forums only. All you do is spread hate, vitriol and bad information about Toyotas.

... :p:p

Totally called it. :p

Honda and Subaru!?....pffft...I have moved on to Hyundai's and Kia's... The Kia Niro does look interesting, saying it is going to get 50 mpg.

That mileage more than speaks for your choice. :)

I look and look at everything else endlessly, but when it comes to it...be extremely hard to buy anything else.

phsycle

Adventurer
I did rent a Subaru OB for 2 weeks, I did end up hating it by the end of the trip, just didn't swallow gear like the Tacoma. My neck hurt afterwards, couldn't figure out why...then realized I was straining to see over things. Same thing when I drove a VW Sportwagen for a day. Really, the only thing I don't like about my Tacoma is the mpg's...only reason I am looking at cars. Which is weird...I can afford the fuel...just being cheap. Maybe I just need to get 2 Tacos...one for camping and one for a daily.

At least the 2.7 might ease the mpg pain a little bit. I wonder if you could get that sucker into the mid 20's or even 26-27 using some light aluminum 15&#8221; rims (do those fit on the 3rd gen?) and skinny light tires (ie Michelin Defender). Then buy an extra set of tires for off road ventures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94