Need Advice for 2015 Tacoma Suspension System

DaVikes

Adventurer
Thank. That's what I was looking for. So I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Bilstein lift I mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the 6112's up front, and I am happy with them. Not as happy as Adventurous and his Kings, but my wallet is happier. I have them set at about 2" of lift, and I run stock UCA's. The alignment numbers look bad, but the truck tracks well, and I don't feel like I have any twitchiness. And I'm picky about that kind of stuff. I am running 650lb springs, but I have an ARB bumper, winch, and sliders contributing to the load up front. So I think you will be fine with the 610lb springs that come with the 6112's.

I am running Bilstein B112's in back. Ask Headstrong about the travel of the shock vs the lift the rear spring is providing. I think the 5160's are for a 0-1" lift in the rear, and I thought the OME springs were 2-3" lift, but I could be wrong. I'm running All Pro Expos (should have gotten OME) and the B112's are a little longer, so match the travel of the spring better. Crom on Tacoma World took pretty detailed measurements of his OME's & settled on the B112's as the best match. But I'm not sure which OME springs he has vs what your are looking at.

DaVikes

Adventurer
Also noticed you are running 285/70/17's. If they are not rubbing, someone must have trimmed already. I ran the same size with an OME strut at 2.5" and the OE UCA's, and again, it drove fine. So if cost is an issue, do the 6112's first, and see if you can get them aligned to your satisfaction before pulling the trigger on UCA's. With 285's and a 2-3" lift, the truck will go pretty much anywhere, which might be more than you need, but it is confidence inspiring.

Clutch

<---Pass
At least the 2.7 might ease the mpg pain a little bit. I wonder if you could get that sucker into the mid 20's or even 26-27 using some light aluminum 15&#8221; rims (do those fit on the 3rd gen?) and skinny light tires (ie Michelin Defender). Then buy an extra set of tires for off road ventures.

Might...I have an extra set of 16" aluminum rims that have my snow tires on, was thinking of getting a 3rd for a more street oriented tire. The AT's on there now hum a bit, which never bothered me before...but now is starting to annoy me. Having to stop at the gas station twice a week is buggin the Hell out of me, maybe I just need to get an aux fuel tank, so I only have to do it twice a month.

I dunno, just tired of putting gas in it...even though I don't like cars...why I am looking at the ones that get 40-50 mpg...and even full electrics, but those would be horrible for road tripping. I see Honda is redoing the Insight, which doesn't look half bad. Would do a Prius, and this is totally superficial, but I can't stand how they look.

What it really is...I hate commuting, love driving, but hate commuting...working on getting rid of that altogether. That sounds like the best idea of them all. (as I am getting ready to head into work today, yet again! Work always getting in the way of fun...grrrr)

Anyways...we are derailing yet another thread. Gawd damn A.D.D.... :D

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Do you think a 600lb spring is sufficient for a bumper/winch combo weight of about 140 lb's?? If not and a 650 necessary, do I have other options?

600lb spring is what they put on the Tundra 6112s, so I'd guess it's probably ok unless you want to get UCAs to make the front lift more than 2". I'd suggest cruising some Tacoma 6112 threads to be sure.

sertguy

Observer
600lb spring is what they put on the Tundra 6112s, so I'd guess it's probably ok unless you want to get UCAs to make the front lift more than 2". I'd suggest cruising some Tacoma 6112 threads to be sure.

Will do.

Thinking of getting some UCA just to be on the safe side.

sertguy

Observer
Thanks for all the advice.
I ended up going with the Bilstein 6112's up front and the Bilstein 5160's with the Dakar 095's in the back. I also added the Light Racing UCA just in case. On the advice of someone in this thread I'm also adding the wheeler bump stops.

Trying to install it this weekend so I'll try to get some before and after pics up.

Thx again.

tacollie

Glamper
Great choice! I was going to buy that kit but for some reason I bought Icons. I wish I had have stuck with the 6112s. Post pictures!

sertguy

Observer
Great choice! I was going to buy that kit but for some reason I bought Icons. I wish I had have stuck with the 6112s. Post pictures!

Will do!

Quick question. I'm assuming the attached photo is a spacer for the drivers side coil???
3d3f911039dc5c864cb10c88c1e7a3d5.jpg

sertguy

Observer
Got a late start but making progress. Do you guys think the new u bolts are too long?
5dcdc9b48bb8dc452f2264aa2c319507.jpg
e6c379ac359532d064ee18686f40a601.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles