Need Advice for 2015 Tacoma Suspension System

Clutch

<---Pass
I can't say I've ever ridden in a Highlander or Ridgeline, but it won't stop me from saying that is hogwash in my experience. My 2008 TRD Offroad rode terrible on washboard with the OE suspension, that is 100% true. Borderline uncontrollable or maybe worse.

However, our Forester rides OK on washboard, honestly probably is better than a stock Tacoma, so that's probably not all that different than any other IFS/IRS quasi-SUV. But my old '91 with full OME heavy rode pretty well and my Tacoma with FOX really does float over washboard. I have to think your Taco must be damped or sprung wrong.

Front rides great with Camburg coil overs (basically rebadged Race Runners) Rear is full OME Dakar HD's/Nitro Charger shocks, which I always felt the front and rear are a bit mismatched (and well it is)...as the rear tends to skate around...probably be better with some emulsion shocks back there. But only marginally better. Be nothing like my buddy's LT/Linked Prerunner...that thing is like peeeeeanuuuuut butter....smoooooth. He also has thrown a ton money at it too, and long hours in the shop fabricating.

Was going to break down and buy some emulsion shocks for my truck, even better thing to do would probably ditch the awful leafs altogether and link it....

28058561_10156201875059630_1528468773880409687_n.jpg

...or IRS.

dsc_0136.jpg

...but I am kinda over the whole truck thing, really just need it get the trail toys to the trail head. Kinda why I have looked at Ridgelines, the Tacoma rides like crap on the street since it is setup stiff for hauling loads..I did have it set up soft with a set of 5 leaf Deavers there for awhile, but you can't haul anything...I broke those. So why not get something like a Ridgeline or CUV that is enjoyable 90% of the time it is being used.

As what physcle was saying...pretty hard to beat a UTV now, those are ready to go right out of the box. Don't see a point in heavily modding a pickup. Majority of my moto buds now have them, even some of the hard core rock crawler friends, gave those up and now running UTV's.

I dunno, I find exploring the back country in a truck/SUV a bit annoying...to get the truck to perform like a UTV, quad or bike, you have to throw a crap ton of money at... I am talking full on prerunner, which basically ruins it for the street, my buddy trailers his with a F350. Like everything else...where do you stop? Some guys are fine with stock...others like middle of the road...some need a trophy truck. I can't afford a trophy truck, so I do dirt bikes...which are relatively cheap in comparison.

I would think it's not just IRS vs SA. ALL suspension components play into it. Put the same level shocks on your Forester (if such thing exists), and I would venture to guess it would ride better.

There is, venture to the rally forums... sky is pretty much the limit.

rally-parts-2620_1l.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I've seen some high tech suspension for WRX and other rally cars. I didn't know they also worked for the Forester. May be a bit much to spend on a Forester, but at least there is an option if you need that sort of thing. But UTV's are out of the box ready, so hard to beat that. Although as much hassle it is to get it out to the trails, I would only take it out a few times a year, which I couldn't justify its existence.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I would think it's not just IRS vs SA. ALL suspension components play into it. Put the same level shocks on your Forester (if such thing exists), and I would venture to guess it would ride better. I do know the best ride I've ever had on long washboard roads was in a RZR 900 4-seater. Nice, long-travel, and IFS/IRS.
There exists as much suspension for Subarus as any Toyota, maybe more for the rally aspect of it. I wasn't suggesting our Forester is what I'd run for extended times camping but for a stock vehicle it rides pretty OK. My truck is *way* better than it.

But stock-for-stock the TRD OR isn't anything special IMHO. I bought my truck used but based on that experience I would definitely not spend the extra cash for anything over SR or SR5 since shocks would go in the bin the second any warranty elapsed, if not sooner.

Anyway, I'm not saying there's not great options but a side-by-side isn't gonna get you home or bring much gear. So the point is a truck that can carry junk and still do a decent all around job. If we were using the Forester as more than a commuter/ski car then things would be different. Clutch just said a Highlander handles washboard better than his Tacoma with trick suspension and my reply was in my experience this is hyperbole.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I've seen some high tech suspension for WRX and other rally cars. I didn't know they also worked for the Forester. May be a bit much to spend on a Forester, but at least there is an option if you need that sort of thing. But UTV's are out of the box ready, so hard to beat that. Although as much hassle it is to get it out to the trails, I would only take it out a few times a year, which I couldn't justify its existence.

There exists as much suspension for Subarus as any Toyota, maybe more for the rally aspect of it. I wasn't suggesting our Forester is what I'd run for extended times camping but for a stock vehicle it rides pretty OK. My truck is *way* better than it.

But stock-for-stock the TRD OR isn't anything special IMHO. I bought my truck used but based on that experience I would definitely not spend the extra cash for anything over SR or SR5 since shocks would go in the bin the second any warranty elapsed, if not sooner.

Anyway, I'm not saying there's not great options but a side-by-side isn't gonna get you home or bring much gear. So the point is a truck that can carry junk and still do a decent all around job. If we were using the Forester as more than a commuter/ski car then things would be different. Clutch just said a Highlander handles washboard better than his Tacoma with trick suspension and my reply was in my experience this is hyperbole.

Yeah anything can made to perform... it is all how much you want to spend. As people are saying in this thread, some are saying go full tilt...others say scale it back a bit.

There was a time I wanted a full on long travel prerunner with all the fixin's. But in reality I like to base camp and use other methods to go explore the back country. No real need to toss a bunch a money at a tow vehicle....and in reality of reality...even though I like Tacomas they make piss poor tow vehicles. It is a middle of the road vehicle, that does nothing well, except keep on running.

rruff

Explorer
Today I'm kinda leaning towards this kit:
https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/s..._Kit_with_OME_Dakar_Leaf_Pack_(HS05BK-3).html
What are your thoughts on this kit???

Good modestly priced system! I was wondering why no one mentioned Bilstein. 6112s are big shocks with no reservoirs and seem to get good reviews.

For some reason the 5160s only have a 90 day warranty, while the 6112s have lifetime, and the 5100s (same as 5160s sans reservoir) also have lifetime. Although Bilstein has CYA disclaimer saying the warranty is void if you drive offroad, I'd still go for the 5100s on the rear. Cheaper too.

Regarding the lift, 2" is about the limit if you want good caster with stock UCAs. It's plenty, no reason to go higher. Also I think 6112s come with spacers for the bumpstops, so you don't need to buy them separately.

No reason to go overboard for every contingency. Do some modest and cheap upgrades and see where that gets you.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah anything can made to perform... it is all how much you want to spend. As people are saying in this thread, some are saying go full tilt...others say scale it back a bit.

There was a time I wanted a full on long travel prerunner with all the fixin's. But in reality I like to base camp and use other methods to go explore the back country. No real need to toss a bunch a money at a tow vehicle....and in reality of reality...even though I like Tacomas they make piss poor tow vehicles. It is a middle of the road vehicle, that does nothing well, except keep on running.

Taco is definitely not a great tow vehicle, although I see people on TW towing some stupid loads. If I had to tow a 5k TT or 6k boat on a regular basis, I would head straight to the dealer and buy a 1/2 ton. Or even if I had a RZR, and had to tow it on a regular basis, I would not do it with the Tacoma. But for an ATV or dirt bikes, it works and works well.
But I will not get a 1/2 ton. There was a time I would never have driven anything less than a full-size 1/2 ton. But now.......I like lightweight travel. I had thoughts of a cap, RTT, full armor, drawer system, etc. Good grief, now I'm over payload, out $$$$, and I get to haul that around 48 of 52 weeks of the year on pavement. The more I think about it, more it doesn't make sense.
So to say again to the OP, keep it simple, and change/upgrade AS NEEDED.

DaveInDenver

Taco is definitely not a great tow vehicle, although I see people on TW towing some stupid loads. If I had to tow a 5k TT or 6k boat on a regular basis, I would head straight to the dealer and buy a 1/2 ton. Or even if I had a RZR, and had to tow it on a regular basis, I would not do it with the Tacoma. But for an ATV or dirt bikes, it works and works well.
The people over at TW that complain miss the point of a compact truck. If you travel reasonably light then it's an all-in-one package that is neither great nor terrible at any one thing but rather just OK at most things. Seems to me if you want to bring toys then you have to deal with the negatives of a full size to get them there. What made the small truck interesting to me was that it was big enough to carry camping gear and small enough to use on trails, too. It was never as good as a real short wheel base Jeep for trails but it was a damned sight better than a C/K or F150 at squeezing down them and being frugal on gas.

Clutch

<---Pass
But I will not get a 1/2 ton. There was a time I would never have driven anything less than a full-size 1/2 ton. But now.......I like lightweight travel. I had thoughts of a cap, RTT, full armor, drawer system, etc. Good grief, now I'm over payload, out $$$$, and I get to haul that around 48 of 52 weeks of the year on pavement. The more I think about it, more it doesn't make sense.
So to say again to the OP, keep it simple, and change/upgrade AS NEEDED.

The people over at TW that complain miss the point of a compact truck. If you travel reasonably light then it's an all-in-one package that is neither great nor terrible at any one thing but rather just OK at most things. Seems to me if you want to bring toys then you have to deal with the negatives of a full size to get them there. What made the small truck interesting to me was that it was big enough to carry camping gear and small enough to use on trails, too. It was never as good as a real short wheel base Jeep for trails but it was a damned sight better than a C/K or F150 at squeezing down them and being frugal on gas.

Tacoma is one of those do-it-all vehicles....that doesn't do anything well, crappy mpg for a daily commuter, can't tow or haul heavy loads...but for some reason I love the little POS. ;) :) I am generally by myself...so I make it work, but there are times I am wishing I had a larger vehicle for long road trips....and then there are times I want a fuel sipping car for running around...which as of late is 90-95% of what I do.

We had an unexpected 4 inches of snow this morning...roads were ice, was glad I had a Tacoma today! Thing is like a little tank in the white stuff. Though the thought of ...hmmm wonder if I Subaru would of been better as I am blasting down the back country roads on my way to work to avoid the arsejackery on the Interstate.

rruff

Explorer
Though the thought of ...hmmm wonder if I Subaru would of been better

A couple inches of lift and a suspension upgrade, and a Forester would be awesome!

Bad thing about truck 4wd is that you can't keep it engaged if traction is good some moments and ****ty the next. And a light ***-end vehicle in RWD is abysmal when it gets slick.

DaveInDenver

A couple inches of lift and a suspension upgrade, and a Forester would be awesome!

Bad thing about truck 4wd is that you can't keep it engaged if traction is good some moments and ****ty the next. And a light ***-end vehicle in RWD is abysmal when it gets slick.
I wonder sometimes about Toyota. The solution is right there, the VF4AM multi-mode transfer case from 4Runners, which allowed for automatic 4WD, e.g. full time 4WD with a torsion center differential. Not sure if there's some reason that wouldn't work in a pickup.

Clutch

<---Pass

It would! I keep on going back and forth on getting one for a daily.

I run studded snow tires on the Taco, with about 400 lbs of sand in the bed and the Wildernest is 250lbs??? (Dave do you know)...so it does ok in 2WD...if it is real dicey I'll put it 4WD. There are times it goes from snow to ice to dry...I tend to toss it in and out of 4WD on those days...why I like a manual t-case...seems easier than a dial to me.

However! I pulled my snow tires off and the sand out a couple weeks ago since we were having such a mild winter this year. 6:30 this morning just a dusting...looked again 8:45...about 4"...quickie glance at google traffic...3/4's of my commute was red...oh craaaaap. Have to leave now! Think I have enough time to take the long way in, lets go, go, go! Tossed the sand bags back in with a piece of a toast shoved in mouth! ...so I got to practice stepping out the rear in the corners for nearly 60 miles this morning, while eating srambled eggs out of bowl...yahoo! Hardly anyone on the back roads, making good time, hey I am not going to be late!...then got close to town and it was a ********-show. Ended up being 30 minutes late to work, even though I was 3 miles from it. Good thing I am self employed, my boss wasn't too upset. :D

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Tacoma is one of those do-it-all vehicles....that doesn't do anything well, crappy mpg for a daily commuter, can't tow or haul heavy loads...but for some reason I love the little POS. ;) :) I am generally by myself...so I make it work, but there are times I am wishing I had a larger vehicle for long road trips....and then there are times I want a fuel sipping car for running around...which as of late is 90-95% of what I do.

We had an unexpected 4 inches of snow this morning...roads were ice, was glad I had a Tacoma today! Thing is like a little tank in the white stuff. Though the thought of ...hmmm wonder if I Subaru would of been better as I am blasting down the back country roads on my way to work to avoid the arsejackery on the Interstate.

Subaru does great on backcountry roads. However, I wonder how robust the suspension is for extended backcountry travel. Almost looks like a regular passenger car shocks, springs, etc. As much as I don’t like the subpar gas mileage and payload, I love the Tacoma. Swiss Army knife

Clutch

<---Pass
Subaru does great on backcountry roads. However, I wonder how robust the suspension is for extended backcountry travel. Almost looks like a regular passenger car shocks, springs, etc. As much as I don't like the subpar gas mileage and payload, I love the Tacoma. Swiss Army knife

That is what worries me about the Ridgeline, wonder how well it would hold up after years and years of running wash boards. Have been doing that in my Tacoma...and it is still pretty solid. Have worn out a couple sets of suspension, but the rest of the truck is good! It certainly has it flaws, but makes up in other areas.

Dave has it figured out, have both!

phsycle

Adventurer
I wonder sometimes about Toyota. The solution is right there, the VF4AM multi-mode transfer case from 4Runners, which allowed for automatic 4WD, e.g. full time 4WD with a torsion center differential. Not sure if there's some reason that wouldn't work in a pickup.

You realize we still have drum brakes?? :D :D

phsycle

Adventurer
That is what worries me about the Ridgeline, wonder how well it would hold up after years and years of running wash boards. Have been doing that in my Tacoma...and it is still pretty solid. Have worn out a couple sets of suspension, but the rest of the truck is good! It certainly has it flaws, but makes up in other areas.

Dave has it figured out, have both!

Yes! Both is the best answer. But I just drove my wife's car on a road trip recently. As hard as my Tacoma seats are, they are very nice on long trips. And for whatever reason, I couldn't stand driving the car after a few hundred miles. It felt great getting back into my truck. Despite the wallowy ride, I've really started to like the feel of the Tacoma even for on road rides. The only thing I won't ever get used to is the mpg, but even that isn't THAT bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior