Which M101 Trailer to buy to put behind a 1990 E350 Van

VANMAN

Observer
I am looking to get a M101 trailer. Anybody have input as to which one would be best behind a 1990 E350 4x4 van? M101A1, A2 or A3....I believe the A2 or A3 have the wheel wells extended... correct? I want match up wheel width as best as possible.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan on 3500 lb Dexter axles etc.

RedM101A2

A1 has the old five lug wheels and axle. Heavy out dated and would need to be changed.
A2 has parking brake surge brakes and shares the same 8 x 6.5 lug pattern as your van. Just run all ford wheels with the larger center hole. it should also track well with your van.
A3 same as A2 but has the raised axle to match the H1 tires are heavy and have run flats.

The A2 would be my choice with your tow vehicle. The axle would not have to be changed and has parking brakes and surge brakes. If you wish you could convert the brakes to electric
with new backing plate assemblies and retain the parking brake option through a Dexter replacement.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Just to add, as Red has stated the A3 has a wider axle, but they moved the fender out to cover the tires and in doing so it now has a larger bed opening between the wheel wells. You can lay a 4x8 sheet down flat between them, on the A2 you couldn't do that. Maybe something to think about if you need the extra space inside. I like the A3 axle just because of the bump up, more ground clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles