Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your thoughts on bike and component weight?

Sand Lake, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
    The only reason I'd write off carbon is it will not tolerate abrasion nearly as well as steel. I run carbon bars and seen the grooves worn in by a front harness after just 7 days of mud would bother me about long term. I end up with bright steel on my REEB and it's getting stripped right now actually for it's periodic powdercoat. I suspect carbon frames must have wear pads all over. That would dog me in the back of my mind. Like the reason I could probably never mentally be an astronaut thinking about those 3 precious cloth layers in my spacesuit are all that prevent me from being pink cosmic vapor.
    That is true the carbon bikes are wrapped in 3M Helicopter tape on all wear points.
    2011 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior W/
    1996 Cache Camper
    1995 Toyota T100
    2014 Ti Fatback with some bikepacking bags
    1984 Koga-Myata Traveler full road tour kit FOR SALE
    1995 Trek 930 dirtbag bike

Expedition Portal Member #4318

Past rigs:2000 Nissan D22 Last-Frontier-Build
    1974 VW Type II
    1985 BMW E28 euro M5 Summer

My HEAVY steel road bike full build weights a little over 17#. I'm currently building a steel Niner gravel/ bikepacking bike. Pretty sure it won't weight all that much more. The upside of steel is it won't just break on you like my carbon mtb frame has. You can also bend steel back to shape if you need to. Carbon won't bend And aluminum will more than likely break. If you need a new rear derailleur on a steel bike you can get a new one brazed on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12