4x4 Box Truck Van build "Milkshake"

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I have been a truck camper guy for a long time. I have always wanted to land an SMB, but never able to snag one at a good price or in the right configuration. Right before the holidays this box truck showed up in my feed for sale- Built by Timberline 4x4 aka Denver Fleet-

R5sfx2Il.jpg

Tim at Timberline is great to deal with and the transaction was smooth! Drove the beast back to Arizona without a hitch- With the v10 I had plenty of power to keep speed even on the steepest grades ( don't ask about gas MPG)

We had a tripped planned to Baja at the end of Jan. so we worked day and night between our real jobs to get the truck camper ready-

This is version one of the interior build out-

Step one was to add some ribs to attach interior walls, and insulation. The walls are single piece FRP and not very thick. So I used hat channel attached with Siki flex 252 and an occasional screw. The channel void was filled with great stuff foam and space in between filled with 1'' insulation foam. The cealing is a one piece aluminum and would make you deaf riding down the road. Some FATMatt was added on the walls and cealing.

v0xViegl.jpg

FxE11BIl.jpg

Also burried some Duplex Marine wire behind the panels for future lights, power, and electrical

LswMPy7l.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Awesome! I was just thinking about a box van and why more people haven't converted them...they seem almost too perfect for a self contained camper van. Especially one that is 4x4 and has a passthrough.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Next was to panel all the walls and ceiling.. I lost the fight and we ended up with cedar planks she stained grey. It does look nice but smells like a big hampster cage.

w3wjgnOl.jpg

6o2J2edl.jpg

While i worked on frames and what not she knocked out the flooring-

3/4 foam, with 1/2 Birch plywood- and a single sheet of vinyl flooring- She made a template and this made the rest of the steps some much easier-

eQDm9yal.jpg

6F4M0fOl.jpg
NEvnQV1l.jpg

qc4I0Ydl.jpg

UHAULER

Explorer
Sweet. I have box truck envy. That is what i've been wanting for a while. For now my old van will have to do. My friend bought a chevy 2wd and has been very happy with the size.

DSC00324copy.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Worked in the kitchen and the bed frame- ( this will all get replaced later with aluminum framing)

sbmumJUl.jpg

Csv7kzUl.jpg

old Rv sink I had with a Surflow switch faucet, wired to a submersible pump. The plan is to use 5-gallon cans for our drinking water, and grey. We do Lots of camping and sometimes its only overnight. This will give me the ability to only take some jerry cans and not fill the 25-gallon freshwater tank. With the winters up here in Prescott I got tired of having to "winterize" the system after ever trip during the colder months.

jHzGYNil.jpg

the "garage"

MdHQNHql.jpg

63D1RDWl.jpg

3a8vsjFl.jpg

Some house batteries ( 110 AH Agms x2)

sKeurh3l.jpg

some 12v power
jAwyzoAl.jpg

sFwQoIzl.jpg

Raul

Adventurer
Love it. That truck looks great. Good clearance, short overhang, sidedoor that doesn't drop too much. I like you lay-out with the high bed.

86scotty

Cynic
Man, the things you can do with perfectly square walls! Nice work so far.

I wondered who picked this up. I love it. You'll love that Truckfridge 130 too. I've had two of em (different vans). No better fridge (size or performance) IMO.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Man, the things you can do with perfectly square walls! Nice work so far.

I wondered who picked this up. I love it. You'll love that Truckfridge 130 too. I've had two of em (different vans). No better fridge (size or performance) IMO.

So far I love this fridge! I wanted to roll with my old Engle "locker style" she wanted the ease of getting food out and not having to empty everything out everytime the thing you wanted ended up at the bottom. I can say after spending a week in the truck camping in Baja I love this style of fridge. The size was perfect to keep enough food for a week and plenty of cold beers!

b. rock

Side note, does anyone know the make of the box? It's identical to this: https://www.repeatautosales.com/inventory/details/50201652

Dealers haven't been helpful. Supreme seems to make a bunch, but I like the doors/windows on these much better.

Edit: they still don't know who made it however they do know it was an ex-air force flightline van. For what it's worth here are the interior dimensions.
1203950461.jpg

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
The box was built for the GOV. by Supreme Bodies. I have tried to get more details but because it is a GSA spec build they won't share any of the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles