New Jeep JKUR

jp0863

Observer
Just bought my wife a 2018 (jk) rubicon last Sunday. Took it wheeling Monday to get her and the Jeep broken in. Question I have is regarding a lift. I’m looking to do about 2 to 2.5 inches of lift and maybe a 33 to 35 tire. What’s the best nang for the buck lift that includes everything I would need? Seems TeraFlex comes up a lot as does rough country. I had all rubicon express on my last Jeep but that was a 97.

ratled

Adventurer
I did a 2" Rancho Sport lift. Comes with four coils and four 9000XL shocks for $450 - $500. Very happy with it. It was designed for 33" tires but can easily handle a 35" if you use spacers. I also considered the Mopar 2", OME 2" and the AVE 2.5" and was leaning to the AEV when the local shop showed me the Rancho

ratled

Last edited:

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
I've personally only installed Teraflex lifts, 3 on my Jeeps and 1 on my best friends.
Two of those were the 2.5", one on 34s and one on 35s. We used Rancho control arm relocation brackets on both, 5000XL shocks on one and 9000 on the other. Ride was terrific. On road manors were good. Off road was OK, slightly better than stock.

My only experience with rough country is pulling it off a friends Jeep piece by piece as the springs and shocks failed. All within a couple of years after installation. The control arms on his Jeep are still OK, but I think we've replaced everything else. As installed it definitely lived up to the name "rough" country

All that said, I believe with suspension kits you usually get what you pay for, and personally I'm willing to pay that price for the improved handling on & off road. Our last Jeep ('18 JK) we installed the Teraflex Alpine CT3 with the Falcon 3.3 shocks. It's a 3" lift that will accommodate a 33"-35" with the factory fenders, and a 37" with flat fenders. The Falcon shocks are the best I've run on any of our Jeeps. LINK

We're still in the process of building our '18 two door, here's the build thread if you care to check it out. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/183838-2018-JK-build-GOBI?p=2406775#post2406775

harv3589

Adventurer
I had a Rock Krawler lift in and absolutely hated it. Swapped it out for the Teraflex Outback lift and love it! Don't cheap out on it, it will cost you more in the long run. Its very important and affects how your jeep will handle

HAFICON

Adventurer
+1 one with bad Rock Krawler experience. I run an AEV 2.5" Dual Sport with Metal Cloak control arms. I do not know who makes Mopar lifts, most jeeps I have seen on the lots with lifts have been AEV. That may however be a dealer things. But sure seems AEV and Mopar have been working together in the past couple years.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
+1 one with bad Rock Krawler experience. I run an AEV 2.5" Dual Sport with Metal Cloak control arms. I do not know who makes Mopar lifts, most jeeps I have seen on the lots with lifts have been AEV. That may however be a dealer things. But sure seems AEV and Mopar have been working together in the past couple years.

Aev has had a long standing relationship with the jeep brand thru parts and vehicles they mod/design parts for dating back to the TJ (TJ brutes, highline kits etc) but Aev source's their own parts from mfg they contract with.

Anything from a jeep dealer to retailers like quadratec etc that sell "mopar" lift kits are selling rebranded teraflex. TF makes those kits from IIRC 2 to 4" and source their shocks from fox. The BBK's also labeled mopar are TF as well.

Dealers have the option to be an Aev vendor/dealer and sell their parts and/or Aev factory built vehicles. Some dealers just install Aev parts and add the upcharge but real Aev built jeeps come with an actual Aev data plate in the door jamb.

On a personal note - yes, rock krawler sucks.

tarditi

Explorer
AEV is hard to beat... there are cheaper alternatives out there, but if you want something VERY livable and performant, the 2.5 dual-sport by AEV will rock 35" tires.

rubicon91

Explorer
I have the AEV 2.5 inch lift with 315/70/17 tires. Basically 34 inch tires and love it. I had a TF 3 inch on my last Jeep with 35s. The difference in those 2 lifts that cost approx the same are night and day. It handles being loaded very well also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles