5th Gen 4low Fuel Mileage - or prepping for the Maze...

Theshwed

Hi All -

I tried searching around and didn't have a lot of luck finding info. A few of us are prepping for a trip into the Maze this spring. My 4runner is new to me and I haven't spent any real time off-road/4low. My other rig is a 4x4 E350 with a 46 gallon gas tank that gets 10mpg no matter what.

Assuming I need to be in 4low creeping around for a bit, what kind of fuel mileage have people been getting? I don't have, nor do I plan on getting a RTT. The wife and I tend to travel like backpackers. The 4runner has a 2 inch spring lift, 255/75s and sliders if anyone can relate.

Thanks
Paul

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I can't help you with mileage but most of the Maze is 2wd high range. Maybe first gear, but you shouldn't need low much at all. Going through Tea Pot Canyon is about the only place you may want it for more than a few dozen yds. Much of the trial is like a two track forest road, not rock crawling. If you don't mind going in and out of low you can get better mileage. I have been out with some people who will just go into low and stay there all day running 20000-3000 rpm when 800-1200 will get the job done.
When in doubt take more fuel. This is not the place to run low on fuel or water.
Is there any place you can get out to now and do some driving for an entire day on forest roads at 10-15 mph and get an idea?

Darrell

bkg

Explorer
Worst 4wd low mileage I’ve calculated was under 2mpg on my Tacoma. That was rock crawling. Only reason to mention that is to say: I don’t think you can plan for a 4wd lo mileage number.

99Yota

Observer
Although you may be ok with just a fill-up prior to starting the Maze, as others have mentioned, it would be cheap insurance IMO to carry an extra 6 gallons of gas.

I just got back from a Maze trip last week and did used my extra gas (6gals) but I might not have needed it. I was at a 1/4 tank and was leaving the Dollhouse to go to Hite. With light rain and light flurries staring up, I took liberty to add gas. However, I have a 3d gen 4Runner which doesn't have the best mpg.

Some things to keep in mind:
- Nearest gas will be Hanksville and from there, it is 46 miles to the entrance to the Maze.
- If you decide to go through Hite upon leaving Dollhouse, factor another 40 miles of dirt road.
- You'll likely be aired down so add to fuel consumption.

You'll find 4lo helpful but mainly to keep the speed down when climbing or descending 'obstacles' around the Teapot and Dollhouse. I run a little larger tire (33) and didn't need to get out an rearrange rocks but if I had to, that might have added to the fuel consumption if I left the vehicle idling.

FWIW, the ranger at Hans Flat said they normally were able to run all of Maze starting with a full tank (NPS has gas pump at the ranger station) + extra fuel and ending on about a 1/4 tank in a Jeep Rubicon.

Theshwed

Thanks for the information and suggestions everyone. We just planned another trip into the roost, so instead of the van which we usually take, we will load up the 4runner to get a feel for it's range. I'll plan to carry 10 gallons of fuel and some additional recovery gear we normally wouldn't take when heading into that area.

99Yota

Observer
Also, don't forget a Rubbermaid bin or something of the like.

Seeing how solid human waste is to be packed out, I didn't feel safe throwing used ziploc bags in the Trasharoo. A rigid sealable bin did the trick nicely.

BTW, Island in the Sky, which is adjacent to the Maze, has outhouses at all designated campsites..

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Worst 4wd low mileage I've calculated was under 2mpg on my Tacoma. That was rock crawling. Only reason to mention that is to say: I don't think you can plan for a 4wd lo mileage number.

What I have found is that in low range, I use about 1/2 gallon per hour ( with EFI). I've seen it be as high as 1 gallon per hour, but that was a carb'd V8. This has been my estimate for anything that I run at less than 30 mph.
Tom

bkg

Explorer
What I have found is that in low range, I use about 1/2 gallon per hour ( with EFI). I've seen it be as high as 1 gallon per hour, but that was a carb'd V8. This has been my estimate for anything that I run at less than 30 mph.
Tom

That’s a great way to calculate usage. Wish i had thought of that!

S_Kolb

I have a 2007 V8 4Runner, 3" lift, all-terrains. On our last trip to the Maze, we drove from Hite to Doll House and back. Total distance 125 miles (including a couple of side trips) and it took us 15 gallons to refill when we returned to the pumps at the Hite Marina.

I kept it in low range most of the time north of Teapot Rock- that's slow going.

- Robert

Theshwed

Just updating this thread with results for searchability... we moved slow because we had a 2 year old passenger napping in one of the cars. We covered 225 miles going from Green River to Hans Flat, Chimney Rock, Dollhouse 3, Happy Canyon, and ending in Hanksville. Not a bad drive. Im glad i didnt take the e350. It would have made it but it would have been a more stressful drive. All of the vehicles traveled to the dollhouse and back drama free.

Fuel Usage:
12.5 mpg - 2016 4runner, 2 inch lift f/r, 255-75/17 Duratracs, Loaded with 3 adults and their gear
10 mpg - 2006 4runner v8, 3 inch lift, 265-70/17 destination at, 2 adults 1 2year old, rtt, and gear
12.5 mpg - 2010 xterra off road, 2 inch lift, 285-70/17 Duratracs, manual trans, 2 adults and gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles