New wheel bearings and a bit of my soul trashed... Help. Me.

I purchased the Timkin set and the bearing and race were packaged together. The oil seal that mates to the CV shaft looked intact, perhaps reusable even. The brass shim looked ok, a couple of scoring marks circumferentially but they may have been there prior to my work. I'm picking up the old unit today from the machinist as I could not remove the nut so I took it to him to cut it out with a torch.. I'll post up the results today if I can pick up the old parts and hopefully some pics depending on what he saved. He did say the outer bearing and knuckle shaft were toast, that the inner bearing and the hub looked fine. I did order a new hub and knuckle just to be safe which set be back a few bucks for sure but worth the peace of mind.

So I picked everything up from auto machine shop. They had to use a torch to cut the nut out in pieces. Appears I can reuse the brake rotor and ABS rotor which was to goal. The knuckle is shot from both the nut spinning and the torch. The hub looked fine and may be reusable but I had already ordered another. Inner bearing and race looked a-ok as did the inner seal between the end of knuckle and axle shaft. The outer bearing was trashed but both races looked fine and were perfectly seated. The outer seal looked beat up but largely intact. Plenty of grease throughout. Perhaps a size mismatch between bearing and race in packaging did occur..? I can't confirm any numbers on the bearing but the box does say 'set 47' as mentioned previously.
I'm going to check the other side (driver's side) hub/bearing this weekend if time permits. After eyeballing the driver's side to make sure it looks ok, do I need to re-preload the bearing when I put it back together?
Passenger side parts should be delivered shortly.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Yes, the wheel spun and felt relatively normal prior to lowering to ground but I did notice that it had a bit more resistance to turning than the left side. And yeah, the beer was post-job, pre-neighbor. I learned this lesson a long time back. "Cool, an extra spark plug! Wait..."

beer or no beer.
being stupid is no fun.

i will willingly admit to massive stupidity as recently as last winter.

i have to admit to it as my hillbilly/ looney, companion in malfeasance, and neighbor refuses to let it go.

I labored over a forklift (his forklift) stalled in my shop door for 3 weeks, not counting rain days. with no success.

replaced every component in the ignition system, and most of the propane system (my money), only to have the other half wit neighbor come over and say
"oh here is your problem your plug wires are crossed..."

and i don't even drink.
it happens , i admit it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles