Anyone here right angle'd their Partner Steel Stove gas input?

RobRed

Explorer
As you likely know the PS stove has a non-standard fitting on the input of the stove... I want to make mine right angle but a quick look at home deport for fittings has been short. Has anyone here done such an adapter on their PS stove?

the threads look to be 5/8

2018-02-07 17.35.29.jpg

RobRed

Explorer
I knew I wasn't the only one.

The PS website (before update) said it's not possible - but that sounds unlikely since we are talking about plumbing.

So any brass fitting / stove experts here?

RobRed

Explorer
Maybe take the jam nut off the bulkhead fitting and match threats then google?

I took the regulator side (hose assy) to the Depot and couldn't find a match. Hopeful the some one sees this post and says "oh I used a ooof and poofal 375 fitting"... but yeah next is getting some thread measuring going.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you can get hold of a thread gauge (looks like a keyring with a bunch of toothy keys/saws for checking how many threads per inch), then you should really be able to nail it.

That said, if it's ~5/8", there's a strong chance it's 5/8"-18UNF thread, which is semi-common in the gas business. Specifically, you might have some luck as that's the tank-side thread for a paintball tank, if I remember correctly. That said, you probably won't find a direct right-angle adapter, but you may be able to find a pair of adapters that goes from 5/8-18UNF (or whatever it is), to something more common, and back. Alternatively you could convert from that fitting (once you find what it is) to something more conventional and replace the regulator hose.

In either case, you'll want to focus your searches on the gas-handling businesses: Propane, CO2, welding gas, etc. - someone will make something that fits.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'd drop by my local propane shop. They'll probably have what you need out in the shop somwhere.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Call Partner Steel. They're really good about making up custom bits. Will likely cost more than having something made locally but it will save you a lot of effort and you'll know it will be done right.

RobRed

Explorer
Call Partner Steel. They're really good about making up custom bits. Will likely cost more than having something made locally but it will save you a lot of effort and you'll know it will be done right.

I've found conversations with PS to be less than productive when it comes to customization or improvement. But I'm willing to give it another shot.

Scoutman

Explorer
Would having the stove fitting exit out the back of the stove work or do you specifically want the hose out the side and then angle rearward? I ask this cause you might could relocate the bracket inside the stove (grind the weld for the bracket) and exit it where you wish. The copper tubing may need to be lengthened and a new exit hole would need to be drilled (or punched with a knockout punch)

velosurreal

I just got off phone with Partner Steel asking for a custom length hose. When I specifically asked if they could put a 90 angle connector on the stove, Hannah told me "that's not something they can do". The 8' hose, with regulator was $77 FYI.

I'm fitting the 18" stove in the pull out drawer of a Smittybilt Scout. It will end up with ~3" of space where the hose exits, so they hose can bend ... but it looks crimped. Maybe I could cut a slot into the side of the drawer so the hose bend can "grow" in radius when the drawer is open.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure

I'm not sure that is the case these days. I tried to have them make a custom-sized dutch oven (to fit in a drawer). I was told that it would need to be cleared by the fabrication team and I could expect it to cost 4 to 6 times the MSRP of the standard size. I declined.

Too bad. I really wanted one and would have paid double. I got the feeling that they are trying to get away from custom work.

aaen

Adventurer
There has to be a fitting out there for this. Its not like they made a proprietary fitting for their stoves? Or did they?

I was going to stop by there yesterday on my way through Pocatello, to ask the same thing or if it was possible.

I’ll resort to getting my hose modified with a 90 degree elbow placed in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles