Rescuing a blue 60/ build/ ******** chat thread

Well, I have been harassing the previous owner of this 60 for YEARS. It was just sitting and sitting by his shop, always in the same spot. The one time I saw it moved, I called the tire shop where it was parked and they actually gave me his #.

Recently, it had moved to in the woods so I did a little recon on it: descent body, shackles on backwards, good color, new BFGs, old OME lift, leaky PS, new exhaust. Almost all wins in my book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 24
He paid too much for it and didn't want to come off the price any, but years of pestering finally paid off and I drove her home last Saturday!! AC! Desmogged, new Webber, K&N, header, all new hoses, new radiator maybe? somebody had loved this truck at one time. It wasn't this guy, but someone had.

First stop was ORileys for whining PS pump and some snakeoil aka SeaFoam. Drove pretty well. Slow and smooth. Let some degrease soak and pressure washed the underside to help find leaks and make axle pulling not so nasty. Cleaned up pretty well. The vacuum advance was on the wrong port and I don't think it's working even after swapping the line anyway. Took her on the trails a little and took off brush guard (get it cheap. Pickup only!) Ran out of time on the diagnosis because she quit driving cruising down the road.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 23
I had literally driven by this perfect trailer for sale 5 min before. Big blue then sputtered and died on the way back home. Would run off of starter fluid, but never crank.
When she died, I called the owner of the trailer, got my kid to pick me up, bought trailer, loaded up the 60 by bumping starter, and towed her home. A full load for his Runner.

Fuel lines prior to filter were full of this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 22
So, I drop the tank, it's full of this mess. Could be old fuel or even some old tank coating?? The tag had not been renewed in a few years, so no telling how little times being driven. Dropping the tank wasn't really that hard, just annoying dealing with the 20 gallons of premium I had put in it the day prior. No way to not get some gas on you. Also go to use my new favorite tool: cordless impact. So fun.

I let some purple-power-eat-your-face-super-cleaner-stuff soak for an hour and pressured wash it for 10 min. Lot s and lots of this came out. This one piece is 6" long.

I replaced every fuel line i touched and have the carb soaking in pine sol for a few days. This used to clean up dirt bike carbs pretty well. Don't tell my ole lady that I used the crock pot though!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 18
Damnit! I really want to have a thread here, but 6 min a post won't work.

Have a thread on Mud in the 60 section.

I'll try back here when I have more patience

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 18
I don't see them?
Are you registered?

I'm going to try to give it a run here. The image uploaded is killer.

I don't like using photobucket anymore with all my old pics turning to nothing over time.

Bought these 315s today from a fellow Mudder, along with some lunchbox lockers, x2 4.10 FJ62 diffs, all in the mud classifieds, nice wheel spacers from Poly Performance, and about to pull trigger on some chromoly front shafts and front end rebuild kit too. I have a new 9.5k winch that was on sale during Christmas and plan on fabbing some simple, clean, bumpers and sliders. @mel lowe came through like a pure ************ and mailed me lug nuts for the wheels on super short notice! Thanks again! The LX450 wheels are some of my favorite and I hope they will look right on the old body style. They may get a few coats of gunmetal gray paint.

Plan is to have a very capable weekend truck. I commute 400-500 miles a week and have a little fuel efficient DD for that duty. I figure with 35"s, lockers, and a winch, I have the ability to go deeper into the woods than the big boned body of this rig will like.

My sons 4Runner has an ARB, elocker, 4.88s, and 285 KM2s. We can load up the whole fam, some friends, and have some ************ "remote camping" trips.

If I come with another $4k, I want to swap in a 3.4l, dual cases, and 37"s, but I'm not holding my breath. A 4:1 case or lower diff gears are a much greater possibility.

I've been out of the trial riding game for a while while the kids were little, but hope this is a good way to jump back in. Don't want a rig that has to be trailered anymore. No need to make it or break it anymore. Just some good ole fashioned exploring/ overlanding/ camping/ trail riding/ whatever you call it. Always been a great group of folks to hang with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 8
Some old rigs

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 9
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wheel-spacers-hubcentric-or-not.263223/

I used the Slee method in the link above: I used three lug center nuts to get wheel centered, then put on three hub centric lug nuts and they went on perfectly. Then replaced the three lug with three more hub.

There is very very little room for it not to fit correctly, espically in the front over the lock out.

If i fly off the road and die, you can all say I told you so, but I really don't think it's going to be an issue.

Big meats!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 12
More parts!!

Thanks to @89fjlandcruiser for the 4.10 diff all the way from Cali and thanks to @Rusty 72 for the locker! I am now much closer to being a true 4WD!

I used this write up to install the lunchbox locker. It took me longer than it should have, but it was my first c-clip axle and first auto locker. I also got to play with stuck drums and went ahead and greased some bearings and whatnot along the way.

FJ40 - EZ-Locker / Lock-Right install instruction
https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/ez-lock.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 7
Would not pull fuel out of a gas can so I put on a new fuel pump, replaced some more lines, and she's rocking and rolling now! Going to take apart old pump to see if it's full of gunk or the diaphragm is bad or what.

It was a pain to get to pump from under the truck, would have been even worse with little tires on it. Another benefit of the big rubber.

Also going to bypass the added electric pump unless someone has a good reason not to. I think it was a bandaid when old mechanical pump died.

Want to drive it around the block with the fuel like this to test the 4.10s!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg