This makes the EarthRoamer XV-HD look like a joke

Msand

Importer
Not mine,

ShowHauler is building 4x4 campers now, for 1/3rd the price of an ER XV-HD, I personally think you get a much nicer rig.. Thats just my opinion, ER's are awesome, but I think this will be killing the $1.5m price tag of the XV-HD. What are your thoughts?

2018-Show-Hauler-202-4WD-5000112285
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Show-Hauler-202-4WD-5000112285

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
My first (unfiltered) thought is an engine forward chassis in a heavy truck is a joke for anything off road.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
My first (unfiltered) thought is an engine forward chassis in a heavy truck is a joke for anything off road.

Since every normal overland vehicle comes in that configuration, at what specific set of specifications does the engine forward configuration become bad? Is my Ram 3500 too heavy. Is a 5500 too heavy? Or is a cab forward design always better?

Msand

Importer
Since every normal overland vehicle comes in that configuration, at what specific set of specifications does the engine forward configuration become bad? Is my Ram 3500 too heavy. Is a 5500 too heavy? Or is a cab forward design always better?

I don't think your Ram 3500 weighs 30,000lbs. So no need to worry:sombrero:

60toyetero

Adventurer
Holly COW!! I think I will buy a house and go on nice hikes? In my opinion that is way too big for anything off-road

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Size matters and it all depends on where you are going.

At $429K the buyer's of this rig will not be looking to drive this rig through the trails in MOAB or the Canyonlands. They are way to wealthy for that. They will use their $100K modified Jeep or $30K Razor that they pull behind this rig for those type of excusions!

Msand

Importer
Size matters and it all depends on where you are going.

At $429K the buyer's of this rig will not be looking to drive this rig through the trails in MOAB or the Canyonlands. They are way to wealthy for that. They will use their $100K modified Jeep or $30K Razor that they pull behind this rig for those type of excusions!

Too right hahaha

Joe917

Explorer

Every normal American vehicle comes in that configuration. Your 3500 and a 5500 are not too heavy although the wheelbase is too long and they are not Heavy trucks.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Having bounced around a lot of crappy places in both cab over and engine forward trucks I will take the engine forward anytime. All the cab over does is give you a longer cabin for the overall length at the expense of a very uncomfortable ride (axle under your ******** tends to act like a pile driver). As for the “Offroad” comment. The Iveco seemed to hold its own in the Dakar with an engine forward configuration. Don’t know how more Offroad you want than that.

But for the class of vehicle we are talking about here 4WD is only needed for the last 100 yards to the great camping spot.

ScottReb

Adventurer
It appears to be like regular American RVs on the inside. Same pre-made sofa/dinette and cabinets. Nothing special for sure. I will say the ER I feel is a bit overpriced, but the craftsmanship is light years ahead of what those pictures appear to be. But at least its a MDT 4x4 camper, better than nothing and the market can obviously support more of this with over 500K units sold last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles