2016 Tundra CM Plat Work'N'Play Build Thread

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
As a wellsite geologist in northern Canada, I get my fair use out of a truck. I do not usually modify them too much, but I built a 2011 Ram 3500 up with Carli gear years ago, and then drove an AEV Jeep Wrangler Hemi for awhile. Recently, after 2 years of year of back to back flops with new trucks. A 2014 GMC Denali and a 2015 PowerWagon, both electrical lemons with numerous issues. GMC was bough back by GM / dealership after 4 tows for failure to start, couldn't figure it out. Powerwagon was the replacement, after 34,000kms and it started throwing 40-50 codes at once, after 9 weeks in the shop driving the wifes Jeep to work, I got rid of it to, as it was costing me time and stress for work (field geologist), and they were going to need 6 more weeks to do a "cab off electrical replacement of everything". Nope. Traded it to Toyota and here we go. ;)

Dealer had a RevTec levelling kit in it, TRD skid plate, flares, TRD grill insert, SR30 lightbar, 20x9 Vision wheels and 33" BFG KO2 tires. I had them fit a full size spare underneath, bedliner, command start and a tonneau cover and away we went. TRD grill is on version 2, as they are fairly cheap and do not suffer gravel and rocks well in cold weather.

jQVj0sK.jpg

I drove it like that for around 10k kms, then I wanted to add the Treeline Outdoors Redwood roof top tent. After searching for the right way to carry my work gear and camping stuff with the tent, I settled on the ARE CX-HD canopy, with solid windoors all around. I love this canopy for so many reasons, capacity, security, and the interior rack is great for mounting every day items like shovels or axes, first aid, and toilet paper. ;) The tent mounted very easily and it was great dealing with the guys at Treeline Outdoors. Local Alberta shop with a quality product.
SEI7bwh.jpg

nbeFSJY.jpg

ZdOfdns.jpg

X4s3xNa.jpg

ZAsXue9.jpg

XKhZKhx.jpg

Shortly after I got the canopy I added a BedSlide with an elevated deck on it, as well as a Hitchgate tire carrier with another full size spare and matching wheel (I had one with rock rash sitting in the garage). I also carry 2 Treadz traction aids on the Hitchgate. Their proprietary mount is junk however, and I'll be revising it when the weather gets better this spring.

DT5SSP4.jpg

l7DS0sz.jpg

P34xjz6.jpg

I had a local machinist I use for motorcycle stuff make me some HD brackets for the ARB awning, and there will be a simple cage/basket between the awning and tent for my 8 gallons worth of Rotopax built this spring. 4 - 2 gallon units. As well as space for the 4 gallon RP water container.
xsJq8yf.jpg

Weight is an issue. My work gear has been adjusted to careful overlap my overland / camping gear, so its all about the same volume and weight, mostly changing computers, sampling gear, safety gear, and a microscope out for adventure gear. Kitchen and sleeping are all the same kit. As loaded, I expect to be between 700-800 pounds of bed gear at all times. So leaf springs were a challenge.

3Q2FcmQ.jpg

hr0iWYM.jpg

I changed the front end out to a Fox 2.5 Factory rest with Total Chaos UCA, which got rid of the levelling kit. We also removed the sway bar while doing the work. I added airbags and Fox 2.0 in the rear but am not impressed with them, they are being removed in March.

Rear springs were tough to sort out with this much weight, but I have Icon RXT leaf springs ordered, paired with King 2.5 resi/adjust shocks for the rear. Also inbound are 17" Method NV, in Bronze, with 35" GY Duratracs, including matching spare wheel and tire, as I rotate all 5 if I can. I really want to get rid of the 20" wheels. I'm also installing Baja Designs Squadron Pro fogs when they arrive.

I am also removing the BedSlide to save weight, and will be mounting the fridge on an ARB slide on a fixed rear deck in the bed.

Power is all supplied with a GoalZero 1400Lithium, and 2 100w Nomad panels. I bought an ArkPak as well, but decided to sell the AP and keep the GZ for weight reasons. I may keep both and use the AP as a fixed until depending on final truck weight loaded. I will also be ditching the underneath spare tire to save weight.

I'll give a shout out to The Gear Shop in Calgary and Treeline Outdoors, who have been great to work with and have lots of info for a Toyota grom like me.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Very cool rig. Love that color too.

That bed slide is an interesting concept. Especially for the short bed of a CM. However, I'm almost thinking something like that could simply be achieved with a 65" piece of sanded plywood?

bkg

Explorer

That bed slide is an interesting concept. Especially for the short bed of a CM. However, I'm almost thinking something like that could simply be achieved with a 65" piece of sanded plywood?

I dismissed the usefulness of the bed slide until we had a contractor do some work for us. He swore buy it. Had one in his short box/reg cab Chevy. I was very impressed with it after seeing it put to use. If I had a need, I would seriously consider one

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer

The bedslide is handy, especially when you have heavy items like ArkPak or GZ power plants, or the Fridge. I will rebuild the deck at about the same height however and just use a slide for the fridge. The main reason is to keep the weight down in the bed. For all intended use the slide works very well, its just 200lbs I can lose.

I used to run a piece of plywood on pic runners i set between the ribs in the bed floor, and it worked, but it would tip if pulled to far, and when loaded it was very hard to pull out if you were inclined at all. I will likely run my power pack in the front of the bed on th elassenger side, so I can access it through the windoor without removing it.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
How do you like the Hitchgate? I have been very curious about them?

I love it. I had their Tiregate tailgate replacement years ago on a Ford F350 running 40's and it was solid. It tore the bed corners off my truck, but that was because we didn't know to re-enforce it. Once the bed was repaired and braced it was fine.

This Hitchgate works very well and I have had that tire and wheel, as well as the Treds on there for around 8000km on rough forestry and oilfield roads. It never needs tightening, and removes easy enough when I need the trucks hitch. It can be installed by one person, but I recommend 2, simply because the anti wobble device is tricky to line up if you are alone. Someone lining it up and it takes 10 seconds.

Very solid. I was once the fence about it but I don't think I'd go without it now. Also a great place to hang a Trasharoo!

Adventurous

Explorer
Love the color and the build. Anything else in the queue? Or are you going to do the rare thing and just enjoy it?

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
Love the color and the build. Anything else in the queue? Or are you going to do the rare thing and just enjoy it?

The rear end suspension is showing up anytime, and I'm going to a 17 inch wheel, but other than that not much. I am likely going to remove the bedslide and rebuild a nicer platform in the bed, mostly to save the weight, but that's just a spring driveway project.

I'm lucky when it comes to use, I work 200-250 days a year in quite remote areas of northern Alberta and BC, and there are often 1 or 3 day intervals when I can go exploring all the backroads up there, where a build like this gets plenty of use. Right now I'm home for 3 months while the snow melts and the mud make work impossible. Hopefully enough time to run it, trouble shoot it, run it again, fine tune it, and then head to Moab in May for a dedicated trip. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles