I'm the dumb one, montero wheels and what won't fit

after 3 years of being owned by my montee, It has finally occurred to me that wheels other than factory options are seldom seen on monteros.
please enlighten. why is that?
is the center hole the problem?

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Around Arizona stocks wheels are a rarity, I dunno where you've been looking to miss all of this but the montero picture thread is full of aftermarket wheels on trucks.

6x5.5 old chevy wheels fit perfect, 3" center bore (or close to it, going from memory) and solid back spacing.

I've got a chrome set of 15x8's and chrome set of 15x10's currently for sale.

c.zhou57

I have a set of aftermarket black steel wheels 15x8 and 3.75 backspacing on my Gen 1. Makes the track width a little wider and feels way less tippy.

Oh. so gm wheels will fit.
ok.
I'm shopping.
just ain't seen them b4.
Likely cause most people don't modify their rigs I guess
many many of the pics are dead in the pics post ....

Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
after 3 years of being owned by my montee, It has finally occurred to me that wheels other than factory options are seldom seen on monteros.
please enlighten. why is that?
is the center hole the problem?

You're right, it is a challenge to find wheels on craigslist that will fit Monteros. Yes, the main reason why is because of the centerbore being 108mm 4.25". As IncorporatedX said, the easiest way to find wheels is by searching for Chevy Wheels or Chevy Rims or Chevy 6 lug, etc. because lots of Chevy trucks came with 6 lug 108mm centerbored wheels.

No one lists the centerbore on their craigslist listings of course but you can easily tell just by looking at the centerbore. There should be almost no material between the centerbore and lugnut hole. It is as thin as it can get and if you study the difference between our centerbore and most other wheels you'll be able to tell quickly.

6x5.5 is the bolt pattern.

I found that 3-4" of backspacing works really well on an 15x8" wheel and 33x12.50 tires FWIW.

Here are the wheels I found on OfferUp and put on my truck as an example. It's kind of a pain to buy used wheels since you'll need to talk the seller through centerbore and backspacing measuring most likely or be prepared to waste time visiting and measuring the items to see if they fit but the savings are so worth it. I think I spent $120 for all 5 alloys on my truck then resold the 15x7s for the same price = Free upgrade. :)

IMG_3752

Reactions: lev
Not to hijack a Gen-1-focused discussion I've been going through an education of sorts looking for aftermarket wheels that will fit my Gen 3 Monty. After a lot lot wrangling with tire outfitters (several said outright that they had nothing that would fit) I'll be going with a 0-offset option from American Racing. I like the wide stance of Offroadmuch's ride though I may go 285 rather than 265. Love my Monty but it wanders on the highway and (to me) feels a bit tippy with taller tires. I'd like to mitigate that with a wider stance. Regardless, the thing I had to get through my head is that the Gen 3's relatively small 67.1 mm bore requires center rings to work with what tend to be the larger bores on aftermarket wheels (108 mm in the case of the AR wheels I'll be buying). I am moving away from my painted stock rims (which I actually like very much) since I prefer rims with the correct offset over wheels that require spacers. In fact, I suspect that the 1-inch spacers currently on my truck are at least part of the reason for a maddening vibration I've been trying to fix.

By the way, roundnbackagain, I LOL'd at your "owned by my Montee" comment. True story for me so far.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Don't need centering rings if you run a lug centric setup. A little more annoying to install wheels without the correct center bore, but functionally no different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles