My setup explained: And advice needed with which GPS software to run?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I decided to wipe clean an older iPad 2 we had laying around to create a full time GPS in my Land Cruiser(s). I wanted a portable system from rig to rig. I recently acquired an XGPS 150a Bluetooth external antenna. I have a RAM Mount cradle for the iPad so that is my gear. My iPad is like a 16 gig version so I don't have gobs of memory to use but I figured it is enough to get started and get my feet wet. I have used my iPhone 6 plus for GPS in the past but I prefer the larger screen. FWIW, I have used my hard copy maps, DeLorme stae book maps and others for 20 years off road, just looking to see if the tech is worth the hassle.

I have really only been looking at the GAIA GPS app and fooled around with the free version for a few weeks. I would really like the following and I am open to any apps or software that you think is worth the coin. FWIW, I love exploring the back roads of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana (about to move there) and would like to:

Be able to see Google earth images real time to my location
Use USGI Topo's
Save my routes and make notes on campsites, features etc.
Typical info, location lat/long, elevation, speed.

Here's my BIGGIE, I don't want to have to have a PHD in this specific software to make the most of it. I'd take a less powerful intuitive app over a turbo-charged complicated one. GAIA was pretty easy to dive into so that is why it held my interest so well.

What else should I look at before dropping the coin?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Man, I was watching. Nothing to add, though. I was thinking of an Android tablet for navigation but the lack of full APRS function has got me indecisive. I want to be able to run Xastir or APRSISCE or something like that, which means either a Linux or Windows operating system and that eliminates Gaia or Backcountry Navigator. Or rather I guess should say doesn't limit to those. So I'm at the "I dunno" stage, too.

ohiobenz

I'm in the same dilemma.... I just picked up a MS Surface Pro 2017 and NATO mount for the sole purpose of a navigation and exterior camera monitor.
I've used Gaia on my Droid, but this is another whole level. Rather than dumping a bunch of incompatible stuff on it, I'm researching for software that can do routes and tracks from a variety of map sources.
Has anyone used SAS.planet?

WOODY2

Adventurer
Give Scenic Maps West a try. It's a resident program costs about $10, works on I Pads only no Android systems

ohiobenz

I am running a Win10 tablet because no Droid or iOS tablets are capable of video input to monitor cameras. See my post above.

Kevin108

Explorer
From what I've read in another thread, only the 4G iPads have GPS chips, not the wi-fi models. That might help determine things one way or another.

1Louder

Explorer
Be able to see Google earth images real time to my location
Use USGI Topo's
Save my routes and make notes on campsites, features etc.
Typical info, location lat/long, elevation, speed.

Gaia has a very large user community. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Gaia even references some of them and they have a good support system. IMHO stick with Gaia.

They do not offer Google Satellite images for licensing reasons. If you are a Pro subscriber ESRI is available and are a close 2nd to Google. You will either need a mobile connection for "real time" updates or have to download them in advanced. As a personal user you can add Google maps as a custom map source to Gaia GPS. See 4xoa.com for more info.

ohiobenz

Is anyone using MapFactor Navigator? the old Open Street maps?
It works fine in both Win10 and my Droid, however in the PC tablet i can't figure out how to download a GPX file where it can find it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles