Options for an overland dog mushing vehicle?

Tremelune

This is all very informative. Purchase is still months out (waiting on Yet Another Husky).

Capability priorities:
1) Dogs in the cab.
2) Smooth rollin' suspension.
3) Ground clearance and bigger tires.
4) Four driving wheels. RWD with lockers would probably cover this.

NV Pasenger in the running, but I suspect lift options for domestic vans are more prevalent.

The Ford Econoline with a Camburg lift is looking good. I wonder why it's so much harder to lift a 4WD van? Torsion bars? Axle angles? Is there a good lift for the AWD Chevy Express 1500? That'd pretty much check off all points.

I'm not a fan of diesels, but an I4 that puts down 300ftlb of torque and gets a van gas mileage in the 20s is okay by me. Too bad they never made them with the AWD.

The Expedition/Suburban looked like a great solution, but it is rather luxurious having a tall roof. I think that'd take precedence if possible.

Hackopotomus

Observer
I was up in CO and saw these mush dog rigs. One trailer and one on back of pickup with custom built dog carriers.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 7

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Capability priorities:
1) Dogs in the cab.
2) Smooth rollin' suspension.
3) Ground clearance and bigger tires.
4) Four driving wheels. RWD with lockers would probably cover this.

1) Ok. Pickup trucks are out. Easy enough. That leaves vans and suvs.

Ford E-Series has a low entrance price, tons of interior room, multiple vendors that support suspension upgrades, and with the exception of the diesels, is easy to maintain. Stock ride is terrible, so suspension upgrades are a must IMHO.

Ford Transit has multiple engine choices depending on priorities. Better interior room than E-Series with medium and high roof options. Aftermarket support is growing rapidly. Tire size is limited by smaller wheel wells, but I think 33’s have been fitted by Van Compass with minor trimming and a 2.5” lift.

Chevrolet Express 1500 can be found with AWD, which can also be converted to 4wd with a transfercase swap. Smaller lift kits available. 2500/3500 models can be lifted much higher. Go with Weldtec over Camburg here for sure.

Nissans I know nothing about, but there doesn’t appear to be much aftermarket support. Good room tho. Questionable looks...

Ford Excursions could be a great option, but finding a low mileage example these days is getting difficult. Lower roof line, so count on using more floor space for crates. Solid suspension and can easily fit 35 inch tires. MPG’s are not great with any of the available engines.

Chevrolet Suburbans have similar qualities as above. If you can find a 2500, you’ll get a heartier drivetrain/suspension, but a 1500 will do just fine for driving dogs to a trailhead. It’s more about load capacity.

2) This will be more of a function of what suspension and tires you spec for the rig you choose rather than the rig itself. Add a good air compressor to your list so you can air down/up tires for a more compliant ride on the trail.

3) Assuming the Transit Connect has been working so far, how much more clearance are you needing? Bigger tires are usually limited by wheel well clearance/size, although minor trimming can do a lot.

4) If you pick the right vehicle, you may be able to upgrade to 4wd as the budget allows.

Brad

Dalko43

Explorer
1) Ok. Pickup trucks are out. Easy enough. That leaves vans and suvs.

He is making this evolution a whole lot harder than it needs to be.

Why fiddle with trying to convert a van to 4wd (which he will need for winter driving, it shouldn't be considered optional) and fitting up the interior when a 4wd pickup was basically purpose-built for this kind of work? It's not my time or money, but just saying....

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Ever smell a sled dog after rolling in fish meal?

There is a reason sled rigs tend to go pickup with dog boxes.

It's not just sled dogs. Ever have any dog in your car that is wet/muddy from running through the woods? Ever have a dog get sick or decide to drop a steamer halfway through a highway trip?

Now multiply that by 6 or 7 (whatever the total # of sled dogs the OP is dealing with). Working dogs get crated in boxes for a reason. And no, its not inhumane as long as certain precautions are taken.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure in his first post he stated that it is for a dry land sled team...

...yep.

My girlfriend is a dog musher. She has a team of six huskies that she needs to move around. This means six medium-large dog crates, a hitch receiver for carrying a dryland cart, room for a passenger, and some extra space somewhere for gear.

Also mentioned his girlfriend puts her dogs in crates. Her #1 priority is keeping them in the vehicle. Roll with it.

Last edited:

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Pretty sure in his first post he stated that it is for a dry land sled team...

...yep.

Also mentioned his girlfriend puts her dogs in crates. Her #1 priority is keeping them in the vehicle. Roll with it.

Long wheelbase, High top, 3.5l Ecoboost Ford transit with the upcoming Expovans 4x4 conversion. Done.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Chevy or Ford based Box truck-

Plenty of room, better than average clearance, rear can be built out in numerous ways. Snag one with a pass through and your set!

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Seen a few dedicated cab and chassis type setups around here but I think that might be overkill for 6. I believe those trucks had 6 or 8 dogs per side.
An SUV will be tight and expensive.
Get a box truck or a good old 3/4 ton van with good tires instead of the transit.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles