Mounting semi-flex panels

imk

I have a flat surface on my Aliner where I'd like to mount some of those semiflexible panels. I understand they may not last as long as traditional panels but the aerodynamics and light weight appeals to me since those are already advantages of this camper. I suspect the Aliner's low height would prevent branch scrapes, and my system is going to be oversized from the start so I don't mind a bit of derating over time. If I can get 5 years of usage out of them I would be happy and wouldn't mind a somewhat earlier replacement than glass panels in exchange for the low profile and weight.

Anyway, these two mounting options appeal to me the most:

1) VHB: This looks like the more common approach, although I'm not sure exactly which variety to use. And it looks like a thin bead of sealant is recommended as well? I imagine this helps protect the tape from weather so it lasts longer, but if this is not necessary I would just as well go without. I've also read that VHB is a royal pain to remove from the vehicle.

2) Dual lock velcro: It would be really nice to be able to move the panels if I'm camped in the shade, and it would be much easier to replace panels this way. I'm just not 100% convinced that it's strong enough for highway speed wind. These use the same adhesive as VHB right? Do I still need a bead of sealant around the edge? That would negate the portability benefit. Or is there some other kind of industrial velcro that is better suited?

Bonus question: any advice on adhesive hooks for mounting wires for a clean install?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used heavy duty 2” wide velcro to hold the flexible panels on my four wheel camper and they never budged. Even at 70mph with a 30+ mph head wind. But it holds on tight, so I’d expect you’ll break the circuitry in the panels when you try to take them off. Good news and bad news though, they’ll probably be destroyed before you try to move them anyway. The panels are garbage. :(

Yes they are super appealing for low profile and light weight. While they work......

imk

Good to know, thanks. How much use were you able to get out of your panels before they bit the dust?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Mine lasted about a year. Lots of people on wanderthewest forum had them and had similar results. 1 year +/-

Sure wished they lasted longer. Loved them. Now I have 45lbs of panels on my van roof and probably as much weight to mount them, rather than just 12lbs of flexible panels.

imk

Alright, I'll skip the flexible panels then. HQST/Renology has some glass panels that are 16 lbs and 1.4in thick, that's not so bad.

PV Hiker

Observer
I have heard that the flexible panels work better and last longer with a air gap under them to keep them cooler. There was a company that was not so good and had problems Renology?? But also heard some of the newer brands are good.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have heard that the flexible panels work better and last longer with a air gap under them to keep them cooler. There was a company that was not so good and had problems Renology?? But also heard some of the newer brands are good.

Possibly but how will you mount them with an air gap? Once they are out in the heat they almost melt, they flex so much. They start “cupping” and deforming where the cells are due to heat and then the internal circuitry fails. I had an idea at one point to mount them to a perforated aluminum or something but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the time and effort to “test” the expensive panels again when a glass panel is so simple and reliable.

adam88

Explorer
Use VHB tape to stick them to a thin piece of aluminum. Then, attach that piece of aluminum to the vehicle as desired (using spacers if needed).

Wyuna

Observer
IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

I made a aluminium frame to allow a small air gap with my semi flex panel.

I also had ribs on my van roof, so direct stick wasn't the best option.

The panel is attached with double sided VHB, with rivets in the sides and the frame is attached to the van with Sikaflex 252
IMG_1606.jpg

downhill

Adventurer
I plan to bond mine to a sheet of Alumalite, then attach that to the camper. I have a hunch that flexing is what kills these panels. I'll find out.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have been using VHB tape mounted to aluminum without issue for several years. I have replace the panel once and yes VHB is the worst to remove. I called 3M tech on how to remove VHB and they offered no help stating its meant to be permanent.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 4

Wyuna

Observer
As for semi flex panels, i do think it comes down to price/quality of the panel.

I was going to give semi flex panels a miss, thats until my normal solar panel was smashed.

It also happened that eArche, released the commercial building range of Semi Flex Panels with decent warranties here in Aussie at the same time i needed a new panel

http://www.sunman-energy.com/pro_38_show.html

http://www.energus.com.au/earche-solar-panel/

i got the version with the 6mm aluminium edge around the panel, to stiffen it up as i raised my panel for airflow and the roof rib issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles